Reload this Page >

What to do in the southwest in May??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 06:12 AM
Amanda

In May next year we'll be driving around the southwest during 2 weeks. We'll probably fly in to Las Vegas and out of San Francisco.
So far we've planned to see Zion and Bryce Canyon but we'd like some advice on other places not to be missed in the area. We've been to Arches/Canyonlands/Monument Valley and the south Rim of the Grand Canyon before and we really loved it, but this time we'd like to see some other areas. We'll probably fit in 2-3 days to Yosemite as well as this is an area we'd love to go back to. We also thought of Lake Tahoe as one option so any view on that area would be welcome as well.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 06:42 AM
Bob Brown

Let me add a couple of places to your list: Capitol Reefs National Park and Cedar Breaks National Monument.
I was in both places this past May, and found Capitol Reefs to be a pleasant surprise. It is carved from the Navajo and Wingate sandstones like Zion, plus it has a few other formations.
We stayed in the town of Torrey at the Wonderland Inn, which was quite pleasent. The picnic ground at Capitol Reefs is irrigated and shaded - a first class area. Cedar Breaks is similar to Bryce, but smaller and higher. There was still snow on the ground in late May while Zion was already up to 100 degrees! (HOT)
Also there are some native American ruins around the area which are worth seeing. And the North Rim of the GC has its own charm. It is not as large as the South Rim, but still worthwhile. Reservations are in order however; like starting now for May.
Have a good trip. Bryce is a magic land, but watch that altitude if you go down into the canyon!

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 01:05 PM
Virginia

Sedona, Sedona, Sedona…without a doubt the most beautiful red rocks anywhere! You'll find Sedona (Arizona) off 89a between Pheonix and Flagstaff. I liked it better than anything else including the Grand Canyon and all the Arizona, Utah, and Colorado parks!!
Not to be missed. You will be surrounded by beauty all the time you are in this town—unlike other sites that are buried within a "park"!! Drive a little out of town to Red Rock Crossing and relax by a stream overlooking "Cathedral Rock".

I found this place accidentally ten years ago. It takes my breath away each time I go back!

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 07:03 AM
virginia

Try Death Valley if you like the desert. There are only a couple of places to stay, Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells. If you like the desert this is a good one - colorful rocks, clear air, lovely dunes, empty. Weather in May should be great - 90 during the day or so and cool at night. Very quiet.

Old Oct 20th, 2000, 03:14 PM
Mary

Amanda,
If you are going to Sedona, don't miss Walnut Creek Canyon, about 40 minutes to the north on 89-A. The drive itself is gorgeous. You travel from desert to mountains of pine trees in one quick drive. The cliffs of the canyon are filled with ruins of the Sanaqua Indians, an awe-inspiring site.