back bay boston labor day weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in the area to drop our daughter at college. Given that there are so many colleges in that area, should we make dinner reservations in advance (fri and sat nights)? Any restuarant recs in that general area in the $20/entree range.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Unlike Manhattan, which mostly turns into a ghost town on Labor Day weekend, the entire Back Bay/Fenway/Allston axis of Boston turns into a moving day zoo even worse than you've insightfully imagined. This year, since Saturday is September 1, even non-students will be playing the moving game. (Some years, they're done before the big weekend.)

Yes, I would strongly recommend restaurant reservations, but be prepared to change them on short notice if you're tired, get a better recommendation, or an offer to go out with your daughter's roommates' parents. This might seem over-the-top, but you're going to be hearing a LOT about those roommates in the next few months, and any insights you can get into them or their families will be worthwhile. And if one of her roomies shows up with no family (e.g., traveling by air from a distance), please invite her to join you.

We can give you even juicier specifics if you tell us which school or general block she's heading for.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Absolutely make your reservations ahead of time if you want to know you are going to sit down and eat at a specific time.

Is this her first time- moving in as a freshmen?
If so, your dinner plans hinge on many things as anonymous noted - they also hinge on whether or not you are bringing a car and will be using it to make a trip to the container store or a walmart, etc - and if so you may be eating 'out of the immediate area' OR if you want to explore another area one night for dinner ( pre dinner walk in North End and choosing a place once you get there or making rezzies ahead also) -

It also depends on the personality of the child - some are unpacked, organized and ready to get out of the room and explore in record time - others want to shop for every possible thing they will need and take the weekend to get organized - which is why we also love take out/take in

If she has not been to Boston before, the guide book Not for Tourists is a small, good book with info on all the things you need to know when living and not just visiting Boston.

Any particular foods you like? Italian? Steaks? etc?
Do you want standard tourist restaurants or more neighborhood type that might be s short but good 'get acquainted with the city' walk ? If the latter, I would suggest a few different spots.

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

My daughter will be a Freshman at Mass Art (down the block from Northeastern). Friday night we all will go out to eat somewhere in the back bay area. No asian, indian, mexican or italian that night. American, french bistro, seafood or steak would be fine. Saturday night we may take my son (16) to little italy, at that point my daughter will probably be off with her new college activities and won't be with us. She already has done some networking and made some contacts.

I am somewhat familiar with the back bay area from making those school visits. I've also been to Boston a couple of times, not visiting colleges but sightseeing, and have done the main touristy things.

We've alwyas stayed in the back bay area, and have eaten at the restaurant connected to the COlonnade hotel a couple of times. My daughter and I also ate at a place (I think) called STephanie's, last time we visited. I'd like to try something different.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

I just wanted to add that we will be staying at the Sheraton and will have a car.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:06 AM

I can't help with the food, but definitely get your daughter (and yourself!) a Not For Tourists guide. Having grown up in the Boston area, I find it invaluable now when I return. (They also have them for other cities; my friend loves the one I got her for NYC.) You probably can find them at any bookstore, or go to notfortourists.com.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

I will look for that guidebook. My daughter ahs already been researching 'happenings' in the boston area.

I did make a backup reservation at Stephanie's to be safe, but would be interested in trying something else. We don't want to use our car Friday night becuase it will be packed (she moves in Saturday morning). We just want to keep the car in the hotel garage. We can use it on Saturday.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

While I have your attention, where in the Boston area are there good thrift shops?
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Congrats for your daughter ! My son, while a student at a college in Maine, has taken many summer classes at Mass Art with some fabulous instructors and artists !

Imagine you are speaking of Brasserie Jo, which I also like, and Stephanie's is a long time favorite of mine.

Here are some places we like - all you can walk to :
and look up for menus,etc on opentable.com or boston.menupages.com or any other foodie site (chowhound, healthydiningfinder, etc)

For the dinner with your daughter:
Sonsie's on Newbury Street
Sage on Columbus Ave (in case your daughter wants some Italian and you don't want to do the North End with her/ you might want to look at the menu/ o ther offerings as well)
Aquitaine Bistro on Tremont Street
(which is a nice walk - down from Copley Place, on Dartmouth St to Tremont, other choices in that area include Clery's Irish Pub (very casual, great burgers), Metropolis, Hamersleys Bistro (fancy, higher price range, but you might want to check out their menu) - and you are near the Boston Center for the Arts, Beehive Jazz Bistro (also serves food) and Pico (for ice cream) -

Abe & Louie's on Boylston for steak

Avila - on One Charles St
Davio's in Park Sq has a great steak as well as pastas

Also, check out the menu at Mistral -
even mussels and appetizers at the bar are plenty for dinner and worth it - although they have a great steak as well

Sorellina's (one huntington, near your hotel) is fabulous- italian, but check it out online.

29 Newbury (on Newbury St)

*When you are walking at night, if you are strolling Newbury St, your son/and daughter/ might like to stop in at Trident Bookstore and Cafe -open late, great place to read, have a cup of coffee or whatever.

Wherever you end up, don't use your car - so much easier to take the T - use mbta.com (for T directions) or hopstop.com ( for T, bus or walking directions) - always ask hotel to double check any directions you get online -
but you should be able to get anywhere yuo want w/out your car.

I'm sure there are aloso a ton of places near Mass Art/Museum area - maybe they list some on the school website ? for those quick lunches too!

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Oh and a new tapas restaurant in the South end called Toro - I haven't eaten there yet but people ar raving -

My kids love shopping at the Garment District -
http://www.garment-district.com/

the T takes you several blocks from the store -
my kids love 'shopping for $1 a pound" - they get great stuff - and my daughter has found some amazing retro dresses and my son always buys his shirts 'by the pound'

it's not far from Kendall Sq - you could also go there and eat - or go from there to Harvard Sq for a meal which is always fun too ! It's not that far on the T.

There is also the thrift cntr/urban renewal in Allston - also not a far hop on the T
http://www.familythrift.com/

there are also a few second hand stores on Newbury St, but nothing like the prices at the garment district.
Second Time Around on Newbury

I'll ask my kids when I speak with them tonight for any other suggestions, I'm sure they've found new spots.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

wow, thanks for the good info. i will definitely look at the boston.menupages, I swear by the NYC one.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Hmm, it's been *ages* since I went to any thrift stores in the Boston area. When I was in college, the best ones were in Cambridge as you headed out of Harvard Square towards Davis Square. Hopefully someone else can give you more specific - and current! - suggestions than that!

I stay at the Colonnade once a year for a family event. Love the drinks, and breakfast, at Brasserie Jo! We also like the diner Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe around the corner on Columbus Ave, though there's probably similar places to eat closer to Mass Art...
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:49 AM

(Oops! escargot was faster, and of course better, on the post than me LOL.)
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:49 AM
TKT

One minor correction, I think that Sage in the South End is on Washigton St. and Giacomo's is on Columbus, either one if very good.

Coumbus Ave. is about a 7 minute walk from your hotel, outdoor dining there at night is wonderful between Dartmouth and Mass Ave.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Prepare yourself for a very hectic day. Moving weekend in Boston is a nightmare. Patience, patience, patience. All the parents will be over-the-top making sure each Prince and Princess is as comfortable as possible. There may be waiting lists for the dolly or elevator. Parking will be at a premium. There's no rush, eventually the move will be accomplished. Dinner on moving day should be as relaxed as possible. Good luck. Better you than me.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:07 PM

TKT - thanksk for catching that typo ! I did mean Sage on Washington -
Giacomo's another good suggestion-although I find it very loud once it gets going.