Reload this Page >

B&Bs; I don't get it

Search

B&Bs; I don't get it

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Bill

B&Bs; I don't get it

OK, just returned from New Hope, PA spending several excrutiating nights in various Bed & Breakfasts - giving it one more shot.

Why do people stay at these places?

My take:
Old furnishings (with assorted junk thrown in)
Squeaky floors
Squeaky bed (I can't believe anyone would have sex at a B&B!)
Musty odors
Inadequate bathroom facilities (don't get me started on shared bathrooms)
Lousy heating/cooling in the winter/summer

I'll never stay in another B&B as long as I live (if I can help it).

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 08:35 AM
iagree

But wait, you forgot some:

Owner has a cat/dog/cat & dog/multiple cats & dogs. Doesn't bother to advertise this just in case someone is allergic.

Cleaning of rooms appears to have been done in haste by owner instead of cleaning service (trying to save a few bucks at guests expense).

No one around to help get your bags up 3 flights of rickety stairs.

Inadequate lighting (again, trying to save a few bucks)

The same identical breakfast every single day.

Give me the boutique hotels any day of the week.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Brian

This has been done before and it was a tired thread then.

If you don't like them, don't stay at them. I happen to love B&Bs. We really don't need the debate, however.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 08:45 AM
J Correa

Don't give up on B&Bs from this 1 experience. The quality of B&Bs varies greatly and staying at a nice one can be really fun.

I've stayed at 3 B&Bs and had different experiences each time. I always get a private bath because I don't think there is anything nice about sharing facilities.

The 1st B&B was pretty good. Nice people, comfy bed, very clean, great breakfast, lots of character to the house.

The 2nd was great and I will definitely stay there again. I slept in the most comfortable bed I have ever been in, and it didn't squeek at all. The room was decorated with nice furniture - antiques or reproductions, no junk. The house had a couple common rooms which were very nice and comfortable and the breakfast was incredible. The house also had a really nice garden and was right on a creek. Beautiful.

The 3rd place was an ok place to stay, but it had the squeeky beds, squeeky floors, and old furniture. It had a great location which made up for the B&B itself.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 09:21 AM
SA

What's in New Hope, PA.? Perhaps if you stayed someplace where they were common such as Key West, Cape May, Nantucket, Wine Country, etc. your experience would be different. I'm not sure the lodging was your problem...

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Utahtea

Bill,

I'm glad to findout that I'm not the only one who doesn't like B&B's. The B& B you described is just like the one we stayed in at Mammoth Lakes, CA. You did leave out bed as hard as the floor.

Give me my motorhome!

Utahtea

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Molly

What's wrong with debate?
My take: Either Bill has a terrible propensity for finding the worst b&bs, or he is simply "not a bed and breakfast person". Nothing wrong with that.
Why do people stay at bandbs? GOOD ones provide:
Unique accommodations
The opportunity to meet new people
Personalized information about the area you're visiting
delicious breakfasts
cozy rooms with ambiance

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:38 AM
B&B Not For Me

I would rather be slowly tortured than stay at a B&B. I like service, peace and quiet. PRIVACY. I like to eat what, where and when I please. And prefer not to engage in boring conversation with people I'm stuck with at the table. JMHO.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:30 AM
JDay

We stayed at a beautiful B&B in Prince Edward Island. The hosts were so nice. We had our own entryway. Two queen beds in a gorgeous room. Down pillows and comforters. A lovely music system. Italian decorations. A sweet dog my daughter fell in love with. Gourmet breakfasts, Nova Scotia fresh salmon, eggs benedict, omelets, fresh herbs, lemon poppy muffins, lots of privacy, fabulous bathroom. Wine, coffees, specialty teas in the room all the time. The kids count that as one of the best experiences of our trip. Try again. There are some good ones out there. Beats a hotel any day.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:32 AM
xxx

Come on guys ....... this has been done to death.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:40 PM
maybe

A couple of opinions to add:
There can be a world of difference between B&Bs (can be 1 or 2 rooms or 20) that only serve breakfast and Inns which often are a little larger (10+ rooms would be more typical) and serve other meals, usually dinner, usually open to outside patrons. Laws and guidelines (re: food preparation, fire safety, etc) are different depending on the exact kind of establishment. So while B&B doesn't necessarily mean bad, there are fewer requiremsnts and inspections of these kinds of properties. Of course, that is an oversimplification, but I've often found that Inns in general are of a higher quality all around than B&Bs while giving you the same more personalized than a hotel service and feel.

Also, maybe more so with a B&B than with hotels, you get what you pay for. Many hotels, even small ones and motels, are parts of chains and have some standards of service to comply with. Even a Motel 6 has a specific reputation to live up to and a corporate office that doesn't want negative publicity. B&BS are generally independent. You're more likely to have a satisfactory resolution with a hotel regarding bad food, lumpy beds, etc. than with a B&B.

Having said all that, I've found that higher priced inns and larger B&Bs have some of the most magnificent accomodations , settings, and service around. I don't always think that the really highest prices($300+) are justified (and have been known to go the "impersonal hotel" route many times, happily) but I have never seen a truly awful expensive B&B or Inn. All a place like that needs is a few bad words of mouth to completely ruin the business, so it is in the owner/managers best interests to resolve any problem brought to their attention.
The key to choosing a place to stay is really doing some research. While you may not always pick up new or tiny gems this way, I've found that when you're researching an area, the same few names of places keep coming up, in different books, magazines, websites, etc as good quality. When I've really checked places out I've never been disappointed

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Ellen

maybe - you make an excellent point. I have been unhappy at several B & B's. Just couldn't put my finger on why. I am going to give Inns a shot on the next trip. Thank you.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Jim

I think it's just plain silly to lump all B&Bs together just as it would be asinine to say "I hate hotels!" C'mon, people. There are good and bad hotels, B&Bs, airlines, car rental firms, etc etc etc.

Give this thread a break. Besides, as has been mentioned, it's been done.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 03:17 PM
xxx

Someone else voiced a similar complaint about B&Bs on another thread, and judging from the stories, most people seemed to agree that B&Bs are not for them. Anyone remember the name of that old thread?

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 03:25 PM
gail

The key to me is lack of privacy - both from owners and other guests. I am not antisocial and actually enjoy meeting new people - but I just don't want to be forced to do it, and also do not want to find myself in a situation from which I can not gracefully disengage myself from people where there is just not a match of personalities.

When we travel, it is the only real chance we get to be together as a couple or family, and for us B&Bs just don't fill that need. However, I did stay at a lovely inn in New Hampshire with my mother some years ago for a long weekend which included cooking lessons and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Whatsup

So what is in New Hope you ask?? SA Europe. New Hope is a quaint town in Beautiful Bucks County Pa. It is a popular place to visit with locals. The little town is always crowded and it has a local theater with plays. Many nice eateries whether casual or extravagant. I like New Hope for a Sunday ride on the motorcycle with my husband. For B & B's in New Hope I am not familiar with any as I live in Pa. Sorry Bill you got a bad B & B.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 04:28 PM
B+B's Bite the Big One

"I am not sure lodging was your problem...:
C'Mon SA, Do you have to insult this poster?
You pro B+B freak, it is people like you who are the reason why many of us hate B+B's. And what does the zip code have to do with B+B's. Do you think that Nantucket and Key West do not have hideous b+b's? I can vouch that they do.

But the old furnishings are "antiques".
The squeaky floors are "charming"
The accomodations are "rustic"
The lack of privacy is "friendly".

I agree with the poster a B+B stay is excruciating.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Gary

B&B's are not your cup of tea if: 1)You are NOT a morning person, 2)You don't want to sit with strangers eating breakfast at a specific time, 3)You have diet restrictions although a percentage of B&B's will try to accomodate your needs if planned ahead. 4)Sharing a bathroom, though you need to research ahead to find a B&B with private baths, which most do. 5)Lack of privacy. I find you CAN have privacy if you pre-plan a little after you arrive there. The wife & I have never had a bad experience with B&B's. It does take a lot more planning to try & pick a decent B&B than a hotel/motel.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 03:18 AM
xxx

Yes exaclty the point. Why bash New Hope? It has nothing to do with New Hope. Bill chose New Hope. It is an old historical town. Enough said. If Bill doesn't like the B&B atmosphere, to begin with then why go, come back here and post all the negatives about B&B's. Bill would still complain if he were in any location simply because he doesn't like B&B's, and that is the only issue. Not New Hope. How ridiculous!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:29 AM
Bruce

Anyone who says "B&Bs bite the big one" or "I'll never stay in a B&B" is someone of a child mentally. A bad experience (or two or ten out of thousands of inns) can't cloud your judgement forever. my first B&B experience was in Amsterdam and was dreadful. Since, I've LOVED B&Bs in New Orleans, Key West, Dallas (yes, Dallas) and New York state.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -