Search

B&Bs in San Fran?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 10:25 AM
DK

B&Bs in San Fran?

Anyone have any recommendations for a B&B in a "safe" and convenient district in San Fran for my husband and I? We will have rental car for day trips. I thought about staying in Sausilito and just ferrying into the city - thoughts on that?

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 10:37 AM
Michele

Dear DK:

I'm an east coaster who has been to SF 3 times as a vacationer. The most splendid B & B is the Inn San Francisco! Wonderful hosts, lovely garden (interior) hot tub outside and in a few rooms. Gorgeous 4 poster beds with down featherbeads and down comforters. Sausilito is ok - for an afternoon at the most! Stay in SF and ferry one day to Sausilito! (I hear that the Chateau Tivoli is top notch too!)

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 11:26 AM
kam

Would agree with the above post. I think you might get bored over in Sausalito if you are planning to stay more than a couple days. You don't say where you are going on your daytrips, however, so Sausalito might be OK. In the city the Union Street Inn is very popular and books far in advance. It's on Union Street which is a trendy, small shops and restaurants type place in Pacific Heights but still convenient to the other attractions. It would not be difficult to take your car out of the city from there and there is a parking garage on Union St. which you'd have to pay for. That would be my choice if I wanted a B&B. Others in the area are the Bed and Breakfast Inn just off Union and the Art Center B&B on Filbert.Over in the Haight is the Red Victorian B&B and the Spencer House, a beautifully restored Victorian, and the Monte Cristo B&B is closer up towards the Presidio but convenient to transportation on Sacramento St. There are also a number of small European style hotels if you don't absolutely have to have a B&B.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 11:52 AM
kam

Sadly, I went to check up on the Spencer House and their website says it has been sold and will close in April, 2000. Friends of ours from Paris stayed there and absolutely loved it. It's a shame it is no longer.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 05:18 PM
dk

Thanks, Kam. (and all other posters)
Yes, a European inn would do, so send recommendations. Mostly I'm concerned about ease of parking. Will stay in either the City or Sausilito for 2 days then going down to Monterrey or Carmel. Anyone wanting to post recommendations for B&Bs or Inns there, bring it on! thx

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 06:25 AM
Elizabeth

We stayed at the Union Street Inn and loved it - web site is http://www.unionstreetinn.com/

We had a rental car and parked about 1.5 blocks down the street in a large parking lot - $12 as I recall.

We stayed in the Carriage House - it was lovely and the breakfasts are great.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 10:05 AM
kam

If little European style hotels are good, suggest the White Swan, Petite Auberge or the Inn at Union Square. The Archbishop's Mansion is also quite lovely in Alamo Square among all the pretty Victorians. Could you wait to rent your car until you are leaving the city? That would save money for something you will have no use for while in SF. Down on Monterey Peninsula, do not stay in the city of Monterey, but instead check out Seven Gables, Green Gables, the Gosby House in Pacific Grove or there are loads of them in Carmel--try Cobblestone Inn, the Vagabond House Inn, La Playa, Pine Inn (good parking in middle of Carmel), or Cypress Inn. Let us know your final itinerary.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 01:17 PM
Greg

I stayed at both B&B Inn and theArt Center B&B and can recommend both since it is in a safe area. They are near each other with Filbert just a street or two down from Union St.
The Union Street Inn looked great from the street. Union is a busy street. The B&B Inn is off Union on Charlton Court and we could hear street noise from our bed. Art Center is on a quiet street.
I can't recommend anything on Hatght St becase it is a dirty street full of junkies, homeless, and runaway. Greg

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 02:41 PM
kam

Don't know when Greg was on Haight Street or where, but the part from Stanyan to the end of the Panhandle is in the process of "gentrification". Granted, you will see runaways and homeless, but also young mothers with strollers as the young, affluent professionals are moving in. Think lower Haight might be more iffy.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 03:04 PM
Greg

My bad, I was near the Panhandle and I didnot realize that the other end of Haight St was safer. Greg

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 04:50 AM
DK

Kam,
Great idea about the rental car! That suddenly hit me too and I checked rates - will save us about $150 and we can pick up in San Fran then drop off at San Jose (we're flying out from there)!
Thanks. Now, how is ferry service to pop over to Sausilito?

Also, thanks to all posters on inns and Mont/Carmel ideas - will be busy researching that!

Also, I have been to Muir Woods before and wanted to return, but I saw something called "Redwood Pine Basin Park" south of SF. Anyone know if this is a good idea for seeing redwoods?

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 10:35 AM
kam

DK, Now that I've suggested you save the car rental for another day, I've got to tell you that I generally have a car when in SF because we live nearby. So, I know that the ferries run from the old Ferry Building on the Embarcadero to Sausalito because I've ridden that one. But, I also think you can get one from the pier at Fisherman's Wharf. At any rate, they will have signs as to the destinations and it's very easy to do. When you reach Sausalito you will be right in the town and it's an easy walk around. I would avoid Scoma's on the water as the last time I was there they had a real attitude problem. There's another restaurant next door but the food's not great, just have a glass of wine on the deck and enjoy the views. Can't remember the name. I think the park you are thinking of is Big Basin Redwoods State Park and it is beautiful. It's at the top of the Santa Cruz Mountains on Hwy 236. A pretty drive to it would be coming from SF to Santa Cruz. Take 280 out of SF (marked Daly City and later San Jose. Just past Los Altos Hills I 85 will split off to the soutwest--take that to Saratoga Avenue. Turn right off the off ramp and head toward Saratoga, a pretty little town where you might want to break for lunch. Entering Saratoga you will be on Hwy 9, also Big Basin Road, and you will continue on 9 uphill. After you cross Skyline Drive (hwy 35) start looking for 236 which will take you to the park. Leaving you have a choice of taking Skyline to Hwy 17 and down to Santa Cruz or you can go back to 9 and take that through Ben Lomond and Felton through lots more redwoods. One caveat--we've got friends who live in Bonny Doon nearby and we've taken others up for wine tastings, but if anyone gets carsick, this is a very windy up and down mountain road. Big Basin is much less crowded than Muir Woods so, if you liked that, you'll really enjoy this. The alternative would be to take the narrow gauge railroad from Santa Cruz to Roaring Camp to see the redwoods there.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 10:39 AM
kam

Just reread my directions and wanted to clarify. As you enter the town of Saratoga, Hwy 9 comes from the left at the Fire station and becomes Big Basin. At any rate, you keep going straight and think uphill and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 11:37 AM
dk

I think I'm becoming addicted to this forum b/c of all the great advice!

Thanks, Kam! Now I am really psyched about the park - especially the LESS CROWDED part! My husband will love it (tourist crowds tend to make us both a little grumpy)!

About how long of a drive is it from Pacific Grove/Carmel area?

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 02:21 PM
kam

DK, It depends on the day of the week and the time of day, but you can most likely be at Big Basin from Carmel in 1 1/2-2 hours at the worst. Depends on whether you want to stop in Santa Cruz. If you're driving up from Carmel, begin Hwy 9 at Santa Cruz and take the 236 turnoff at Boulder Creek (it's about another 10 miles to the park). It's very dark (because of the trees) and the road is less than 2 lanes inside the park, so be careful. It actually was the first of California's redwood parks and has a museum. Give yourself a couple hours at least in the park. If you get hungry and want to stop for lunch or snack stop in Davenport at the Cash Store--great carry out picnics to cross the highway and sit and watch the ocean--before heading up on 9 or stop in Felton at the Heavenly Cafe. It's basic but great people watching. The most common comment about Santa Cruz (and the mountains) is that it really never left the 60s behind. When you get back to Saratoga you'll feel that you've been in a time machine! But, please, let's keep this our secret! So many of the attributes of Big Sur can also be applied to the Santa Cruz Mtns. Also sounds like you want to get out into nature on this trip and away from the very busy tourist areas, so I would recommend also Pt. Lobos S.P. just south of Carmel where the views are gorgeous and the number of tourists is limited! This as opposed to the 17 Mile Drive. Let me know if you want Santa Cruz restaurant recommendations also. It's often criticized for not having good restaurants, but I think it's because nobody knows about them.

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 02:10 PM
dk

Kam,
A couple of other questions (hopefully I catch you in these last few days b/f our trip): If we drive from SF to Big Basin (on the way to Carmel) instead of coming back up, will we miss much foregoing the coastal views on 1? I was thinking what we miss could be made up (?!) at Point Lobos or on 17 mi drive. Also, may avoid tourist traffic. How much time is drive from Carmel to P. Lobos?

Pls do give a few Santa Cruz restaurant recommendations. Thanks so much for ALL your help!

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 05:10 PM
Cindy

I wanted to put my 2 cents in for 2 hotels mentioned above, I've stayed at the Petit Auberge in SF and loved it. Our room was very small, but the breakfast room was beautiful. We've also stayed at La Playa in Carmel, it's beautiful, great gardens and pool.

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 03:17 AM
Gabby

DK -
My husband and I have found a wonderful B&B in Point Richmond. It is out of the city and easy access between Napa/SF/Oakland/Sausilito....We always stay there!!! Hotel Mac. They have a website www.hotelmac.com . Seven rooms each with their own theme. VERY Clean. It is above a local gathering spot. Inexpensive also. The average room is about $100 - and includes a breakfast the next morning. The rooms are nice and big and include a sitting room w/ fireplace. The management lives on the property, and is an incredible host. I do recommend you at least check it out.
Goodluck
g

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 07:00 PM
sable

I would like to secong the Petite Auberge in SF. It has small, very clean room, but the lounge and breakfast rooms are very inviting. It's 2-3 blks. from Union Square. Near the cable car, within walking distance to Chinatown, near the theaters, in fact the 1/2 price booth is on Union Square (Stockton St) We live 40 miles from the city and enjoy staying overnight when we go to the theater. Can I recommend the bery hilarious play Beach Blanket Babylon (say that fast 3 times) It is so funny, I was almost crying. Enjoy the city. They do charge for parking at the P. Aub., around &15, but if you are only there 1-2 nights maybe it doesn't matter. We stay in Pacific Grove near Monterey ,which has lots of interesting old Victorian houses. Asilomar beach is a great walk.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 07:33 PM
Jennifer

I think any of the Four Sister Inns would be a good choice. We stayed at the White Swan and loved it! In wine country we stayed at their Maison Fleurie and would certainly recommend either property.

I like the fact that the Four Sisters properties are small inns. They aren't really "bed and breakfasts" but to me they are better as they are a little more private and it doesn't seem like you are just staying a someone's house. All the amenities are there...ambiance, terrific food, great locations...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -