Search

B&B/Inn to stay in Cape Cod

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&B/Inn to stay in Cape Cod

Hello there,

I'm planning on spending three days in the Cape (flying into BOS) at the end of September, and I would really appreciate some input as to where to stay.

I will be traveling solo and I am looking for a b&b or an inn that drips New England charm (I lived in MA a couple of years back, but I never had a chance to enjoy the Cape!). I really wanted to visit Nantucket and P-town, and thought it might be best to establish a home base somewhere and plan day trips to these locales. I would like to spend less than $150/night.

I had originally thought of Hyannis, but I've read it's a bit built up. Chatham seems to be recommended by many people. I also read about an inn in Falmouth called Palmer House Inn, but I think it is farther from P-town than I would like to drive.

If anybody has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate the shared wisdom. Thank you so much!
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 10:57 PM

Our favorite town on the Cape is Chatham. Nantucket is another favorite destination, especially in September.

However, we've given up on B&B's - for the lack of privacy and soundproofing, and that there are so many "variables" (such as hot water/pressure).

It's best to find personal recommendations for B&B's, as you are obviously attempting to do. I've found that proprietors get touchy when you ask a lot of questions before reserving, though once checked in (often required by very early evening), it's truly discouraging to find that you must return by midnight each night(or even earlier), breakfast is served only from 7-7:30 (and they're reluctantly willing to refill your coffee cup), "We do not turn on the heat until October 15th, no matter what the weather", "We have no place to store your bags after check-out". They are positively annoyed if you wish to know whether the rooms have phones or TV's (especially if they do not) or whether one is permitted to actually light a fire in the advertised fireplace (which often is just for show - they declare that town regulations preclude you from lighting a fire, when this is not true).

After several miserable experiences at B&B's (such as our hostess banging on our door at 9AM to remind us that check-out time is 10AM) and no hot water day after day at another ("What do you expect if everyone gets up at the same time?" - well, hey, in time for breakfast?!?), and a room over the "common room" where the bedsprings (not to mention the plumbing) announced your every move, even breathing, to the room below and on either side, even all up and down the hall...

This is not to say that there are no charming B&B's. Just shop carefully before booking.

Chatham would be a lovely base point. You could spend a day there, another driving to Provincetown and back, and another on a day trip to Nantucket (the dock at Hyannis is an easy drive, or you could fly over and back from Hyannis for a much longer visit with much less time spent getting there and back).

In the alternative, you could spend the entire three days on Nantucket, which at the end of September I would highly recommend. Nantucket is a world away and a step back in time. Positively gorgeous all about (and quiet, with the "summer folk", vacationers, day trippers, gone).

Check out the Veranda House on Nantucket. We LOVE that place. Formerly the Overlook Hotel (back when we honeymooned there), new owners have transformed the rooms (from quite-nice-but-plain to fancy). This is one of only two non-traditional buildings on Nantucket. It's a splendid Victorian with wrap around porches on each story. Sensational views of the harbor from the upper floors - the sunrises, sunsets! Gorgeous sloping garden. Steps from Nantucket Town center. Fabulous main deck for enjoying cocktails.

Be advised, however, that even late September, $150/night is quite low for "drips New England charm" anywhere on the Cape or Nantucket...
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 02:57 AM

Take a look @ palmerhouseinn.com in Falmouth. Friends from CA are staying there in Oct.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the input!

I've gone ahead and booked two nights at the Ocean Edge Resort in Brewster; I was able to get it on Priceline for what comes out to $115.00/night (amazing!).

I think I will spend the third night on Nantucket; the only hiccup is that I will have a rental car, but I'm assuming that I can park it at Hyannis overnight and walk on the ferry. I've looked at the Veranda House website, it's a contender. I'm also considering the Sherburne Inn, has anyone been there?

Thanks again!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Chatham - Captain's House Inn - wonderful!!
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:56 AM

In Eastham, Cottage Grove is a wonderfull little enclave of cabins run as a B+B. Beautifully decorated with wonderful hosts. In P-Town, I've especially enjoyed The Fairbanks Inn.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:42 PM

djbooks - lol your description of your b&b experience. That's exactly why we avoid them like the plague.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:26 PM

sharbar - that is amazing! A co-worker just returned from his honeymoon at Ocean Edge full of raves (enhanced perhaps that he is a huge fan of James Gandolfini (sp?) who was also staying there).

You can park your car at/near the ferry docks in Hyannis. The farther from the dock, the cheaper. There's shuttle service from all the lots to the dock. You must allow plenty of time to park your car, get to the dock, purchase/pick up your ticket...

We park our car at the Hyannis airport, take a taxi to the dock, take a ferry over. We just love the sensational scenery as the boat approaches Nantucket Harbor...

Then, we fly back. Many more flights than ferries, so you can stay longer on Nantucket. Flight is only 20 minutes and we think it's worth the extra fare for the extra time and convenience.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 08:28 AM

sharbar: let me recommend a wonderful place in Provincetown: The Benchmark Inn. although the rates are probably going to be a bit higher than $150 per night it is worth the splurge!! a real gem. check out the website: benchmarkinn.com
i love this place and have booked rooms for October. also, P-town has such great shopping and restaurants.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Okay, after reading many, many posts (I think my eyes might be permanently crossed!), here's the plan:

Fly into Boston (what was I thinking, PVD is so much better), get to Ocean Edge (fairly late at night, alas). Get a rental car the next day to drive all around, stopping at least at Chatham and P-town, and no doubt many stops in between.

Turn in the rental car after my second day and hop the ferry to Nantucket, where I'll be staying at the Brass Lantern Inn ($105 with tax); I did think about your post about b&bs, djbooks, but I had to stay at a b&b at least one night. I did get a room on the top floor, and I'm staying on a Thursday night in late Sept, so hopefully no noisy neighbors. They give you a $9 food voucher at Jared Coffin House, which I've read is great for breakfast.

Then, my final day head up to Cambridge (Hotel Marlowe, $115 thanks to Priceline again) and maybe meet up with some old chums.

Whew, what a whirlwind! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, and I'll be sure to post a report upon my return!
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I keep mentioning Priceline, let me also mention a fantastic site with tips for bidding:

www.biddingfortravel.com

If you do bid, they like it if you use the following link to make your bid:
www.amazing-bargains.com/priceline.html

Otherwise, you get a chastising e-mail from the moderator after you post your results!
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 11:55 AM

Your plan sounds great and although Ocean Edge is not a b&b you got a great price for a room there. We own a home in Brewster so here are a few tidbits. First, can you rent a car in Brewster? Surprised if you can.

Don't miss the Brewster Store for old New England charm (great for morning coffee and a muffin). Spark Fish is a great restaurant within walking distance of Ocean Edge. For local color, Land Ho! in Orleans is a hoot. When you get to Provincetown, think about renting a bike to do the bike trail out to Race Point Beach. If you don't rent a bike, be sure to drive out to the National Seashore (all along your drive north). This is the real Cape.

You're plans are terrific. Have a blast in our little part of paradise!
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the tips, ccrosner!

No, I can't rent a car in Brewster, the closest that I can find is Hyannis. Enterprise says they'll pick you up, but I'll have to call to see if they really mean it from Brewster to Hyannis. Otherwise, a taxi I suppose, as I can't find any other info about buses/shuttles from Brewster to Hyannis.

I realized today when I got my mail confirmation that I'm not staying at the Brass Lantern, but at another Nantucket b&b; I researched so many of them that I couldn't even remember! This just proves that I really do need a vacation!
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 02:24 AM

Hyannis to Brewster is about 25 minutes so I'll be surprised if they pick you up. Why don't you just rent at the airport? How are you going to get to Brewster from Logan if you don't? Could take the bus to Hyannis, I guess, or there may be one that takes you to Orleans from Logan but it would take forever. The drive from Logan to Brewster is a breeze even with the Big Dig.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

I had originally planned on picking up a rental car in BOS for all four days of my visit, but I thought about it and I really only need a car one day, when I'm driving to P-Town. If I had a car for all four days, one day I would be paying money just to have it parked in Hyannis while I was on Nantucket.

Plus, as I'm not quite 25 yet, I would be charged beaucoup bucks in underage fees (yes I can vote, drink, gamble, smoke, and die for my country if I choose, but drive a car? Heck no.) multiplied by four. And as you can tell by my posts, my overriding concern is saving money (I'm a cheapskate, I admit it).

I thought that I could possibly pick one up in Boston and drop it off in Hyannis when I went to Nantucket, but I don't think it's possible to find a rental car company that will a) rent to someone under 25, b) allow one-way rentals, and c) have drop off locations in Hyannis. It seems to be an impossible combination. If only I were born a few months earlier!

If anyone has any solutions, I of course would be ecstatic to read them!
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 03:11 AM

That's why I recommended spending all three nights on Nantucket. It may have been the most economical/convenient to fly from Logan to Nantucket and back, precluding the need for a rental car. There's plenty to see and do on Nantucket, where you can get around nicely without a car.

Also, the few bus lines serve Hyannis, Provincetown, Falmouth, Woods Hole, but not Brewster.

See http://capecod.destinationinsider.co...ere/by_bus.php

Have you considered Priceline or Hotwire for a rental car? You can read about renting "under 25?" at both websites.