Search

B & B in Newport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B & B in Newport

My husband and I are planning a trip to Newport in May. I am looking at the Admiral Fitzroy B&B. Has anyone stayed there? Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a restaurant - fine dining - we are celebrating our wedding anniversary. Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 05:19 AM

Castle Hill Inn (www.castlehillinn.com).
Not cheap but a great restaurant with great views. Do a search on this board - lots of info about Newport
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 02:15 PM

Try next door at the Francis Malbone House... have stayed there multiple times and loved it... best rooms are the Benjamin Mason Suite and the Newport rooms. Also agree with the previous poster re: the Castle Hill Inn... best rooms are the Turret Suite, any of the Beachouse rooms, or Mrs. Agassi's room... For a special occasion, you might look into the Chanler Hotel... very pricey, and I have heard mixed reviews of their service staff... but that was early on and they should have taken bad reviews to heart by now... you absolutely cannot beat the Chanler or Castle Hill for views, tho the Chanler is somewhat closer to the "action". Francis Malbone is right in the middle of the action on Thames, so walking everywhere from your rooom is a definate plus.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Are you talking RI or OR?
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:21 AM

Not another one of these......ONE MORE TIME- the original poster asked a question about Newport and the Adimral Fitzroy. If that doesn't tell a reader that the poster was talking about RI, then the reader wouldn't be able to help the poster anyway.
Anyway, in addition to Emily's suggestion of Castle Hill Inn, another fine dining special occasion type restaurant is the White Horse Tavern. No views but a great and very unique restaurant. Also, if you are the type that likes to dine later in the evening (or if that is the only time you can get a reservation) then it will be dark and the view at the Castle Hill Inn won't do you much good. Just something to think about.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:05 PM

Stayed last weekend at the Francis Malbone.

Though many rooms are on the small side, we could not have asked for a better weekend. Fireplaces in all rooms, I believe. Bathrobes, loads of the latest magazines, etc. And we met some very nice fellow residents.

I am now on Weightwatchers after a couple of their breakfasts -- plus scones and cookies at their afternoon tea.

As we paid off-season, mid-wwek rates for part of the stay, it was a very good deal for this location.

We noted, while walking, other places whose lavish websites make them look great when in fact they are rather iffy.

No such issue with the F Malbone -- it is as good as the website (www.malbone.com)
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 05:46 PM

I've seen it and it looks nice, we did a b and b at the Black Duck. Great resturaunts in Neport. Sardellas and Mama Luisas for Italian. Cheeky Money, trendy and pretty good. (Lobster paella was great) I hear Asterik is supposed to be good but haven't been yet.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Another vote for the Francis Malborne.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 08:46 AM

If you want to go all out for your anniversary dinner, check out the Spiced Pear.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Bouchard's is IMHO the best upscale restaurant in Newport. I had trouble finding the listing for it because it's under "R" instead of "B"

My parents go every year for their New Years Eve dinner. The reports I get about the food make my mouth water.

Restaurant Bouchard
505 Thames St., Newport, RI 02840
Phone: 401-846-0123
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the ideas!