Avoiding toll roads in South Florida

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2018, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be driving from Ft Myers to Miami Beach (via Florida City) in a couple weeks. I'll only have the car for two days and I'd really like to avoid the hassle of getting a transponder. Especially since my preferred route is not on toll roads anyway. But I just want to make sure I don't make a mistake and end up on one.

From Ft Myers I think if I take 75 to Collier Road and that down to 41 there are no tolls (looks like the toll starts on 75 just east of Collier Road - is that correct?

Then I want to get from 41 down to Florida City (and enter Everglades national park). I'm staying one night (Fairway Inn) and then driving to South Beach. I want to stay on Rt 1 and avoid "Ronald Reagan Turnpike". Is that correct? It looks like Rt 1 merges with I-95 for a bit. That's not a toll road is it? And the road over the causeway to South Beach - that's not a toll road either?

So I've done a lot of research but would love someone familiar with the area to confirm my route and give me any pointers. Thanks so much
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 07:46 AM

Try google maps, and, under options, check "avoid tolls"

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Miam...b1!3e0!5m1!1e1
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 08:27 AM

It's not hard to get a transponder, and it's not expensive. You can mail away for one in advance, and keep it to use the next time you're in Florida. The sticker costs $5, the plastic transponder $20. You can load as much or as little money onto them as you like online.
https://www.sunpass.com/index
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I did google map it using 'avoid tolls' - that's the routes I posted. I was trying to get an actual person to confirm it was correct. Google maps tends to make mistakes.

As I said, I don't really want a transponder. I'd have to pay the $5 and then load some amount of money on it and I really don't plan to use it at all.

I'm really just trying to find out if someone who is familiar with south Florida can confirm that the routes I posted are indeed toll free - or if they have any other (better) suggestions for routes.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 11:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I-95 is NOT a toll road and yes I do "live here." If you watch the road signs there is no way you will be driving on any "toll road" in South Florida unless you want to. All of them, particularly the Turnpike AND the Express Lanes ON 95, are well-signposted and the only problem with the Turnpike down here and the Express Lanes are the sections that ONLY accept SunPass for tolls.