Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Avis car rental in Phoenix--suggestions for ways to get a discount

Notices

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:47 AM
sue

we are renting a car in phoenix in august for two weeks. The cost is $900.00. At this point we are fortunate to get a reservation. The agent indicated that there are ways to get steeper discounts than what we are getting through AAA. Any ideas about how to increase our discount? thanks

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Judy

$900????? Are you renting a gold plated limo??? Seriously, that does seem pretty steep. This past winter we paid approximately $160 for a midsize from Avis. We used one of the various discounts available: can't remember if it was AAA, AARP, etc. but even without the discount it wouldn't have been more than $200, so that would only be $400 for two weeks. Unless there is some serious shortage going on, you should be able to do better. Try going to the individual company's websites, as they often have better rates. Good Luck

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Les

$900 seems high. Where are you coming from? If it's driving distance, perhaps you can rent locally at a lower rate, and and drive to Phoenix.
You also can generally save money by not renting at the airport (many cities have an exorbitant airport tax on car rentals).
Decline the insurance (very expensive). Use a major gold or platinum credit card - most will cover the collision deductible, and your personal auto insurance should cover liability and collision with the same coverage as your personal car (check with them beforehand).
In my dealings with Avis, I've gotten the best rates by talking to the manager at the local office where I want to rent the car (not the national office). Also, sometimes I get coupons with my frequent flyer statements.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:43 AM
paul

Did you check online?
That is very expensive!
Check out travelocity, orbitz and expedia for prices, then book on priceline or maybe hotwire.
Good luck.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:09 AM
calli

Also Airlines have discounts you can use...American especially. Give that a try. Naturally the Avis agent isn't going to tell you ways to save! She wants the money!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Cathy

Lucky to get a car rental in Phoenix in August????? I find this very hard to believe. Nobody comes to Phoenix in August and half of the residents (at least) are gone. Do some more checking and try the car rental companies websites for "internet only" specials.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Kyle

This is a troll post, right?
No one pays $900 for a car in PHX in August whether it's 2 weeks or a month.
(Unless you're getting a Jaguar or Rover or something).

Sue you need to compare rates.
Go to Travelocity.com and plug your requirements into the car rental section. They'll give you a nice cross section of rates so you can get an idea what's fair.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Don

On Expedia, assuming a random two-week period from 8/14-8/28, Avis offers a compact for under $200/week and a standard for $227/week. The luxury car gets up to near $400/week. Depending on the car category, some other companies (Advantage Rent-a-Car in particular) were less.

No way I'd pay $900 for a two-week rental in Phoenix in August.

Anyway,