Autumn Colors Around Asheville

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2016, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

We live in South Florida and needless to say no autumn colors.

I'm thinking of flying to Charlotte/Asheville around the 3rd week of October and spending a few days taking some of the scenic drives near Asheville as well as stopping in some of the smaller towns.

Since we've never been to that area, I also thought of a day or two in Charlotte and parts of several days (after some of the scenic drives) in Asheville.

Flights to Charlotte are better than to Asheville so Charlotte could get into this.

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 11:05 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
It's a good plan.

If fares are better to Atlanta, the drive is easy to Asheville and you'll have more chances of color in north Georgia and into North Carolina. The entire area is pretty. Check out the difference in fares.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Charlotte DEFINITELY add the Bechtler Museum and the Mint Museum (uptown and in Eastover), but Uptown the Mint is right next door to the Bechtler and the Gantt. Good restaurants nearby also.

Small towns near Asheville to visit--or even to stay might be Burnsville and Weaverville.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 03:09 AM

Atlanta to Asheville is 4 hours vs. two from Charlotte and the traffic will be MUCH different. Granted the drive may also be interesting but it will be a round trip back to ATlanta also. Just added thought for planning.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 04:13 AM

That kind of comment just makes me shake my head and say "What?!"

I support the OP's plan to fly into Charlotte.
I mention that Atlanta is another option and to check the fare difference. IF there is one, it may be worth the drive - and the drive is a very pretty one with lots of fall color at varying elevations along the way.

The OP's goal is to see fall color.
"...and spending a few days taking some of the scenic drives near Asheville as well as stopping in some of the smaller towns"

The drive from the Atlanta airport to Asheville is 3.5 hours - vs 2 from the Charlotte airport. I didn't recommend Atlanta as a closer airport or a better airport but one that may offer "scenic drives" on the way to Asheville with nice smaller towns to stop in along the way.

Not sure what the "MUCH different" traffic means. I haven't been stuck in Charlotte's rush hour traffic recently but was stuck in Raleigh's and rush hour traffic is universally rotten. I've been in Miami's rush hour traffic recently too. I'll ponder how Atlanta's rush hour traffic is "MUCH different". That's a new one for me.

In any case, the plan to fly into Charlotte is a good one, but I stand by the Atlanta suggestion if there is a significant different in fares. You can be in gorgeous fall color with scenic small towns - including one of the most popular restaurants in the SE and one of the top 100 restaurants in the country - in less than 2 hours from the Atlanta airport. It sounded like those may match the OP's goals...and along the drive to Asheville. If she plans to spend "a day or two in Charlotte" and then Asheville "after scenic drives", it doesn't sound like the 1.5 hour difference is significant - especially if she's doing scenic drives with fall color along the way.

I have often chosen a longer drive if the fare difference is significant.
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

I haven't checked in a few days and suddenly a few more responses. Thanks.

lsessions. Thanks for all the links. I'll check them out over the next couple of days.

The dates are getting a bit compressed.

The possible dates are:
1) Oct 4 - 10
2) Oct 13 - 19
3) After Oct 20

The above include travel days.

I wonder if 1) isn't too early.
2) probably doesn't allow enough time for Charlotte. If we skip Charlotte then we'd go directly to Asheville.
3) This might be later than I wanted.

Any comments about the date slots?
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 08:24 PM

It depends on when you go and depends on the individual year.
I think 1 and 2 are way too early.

Historically, peak weekend in the north GA mountains has been the third weekend of October. That's when most fall festivals are scheduled. But in the last few years, there's barely any color that early.

The last weekend of October has been "okay" in the lower elevations.

Peak has been hitting during the first week of November - in north GA.

All of that is based on elevation. Oct 20th may be good for Asheville. I can't answer for Charlotte. The good news is, you can drive higher up mountains or down into valleys to see better color.

For example, the valley at 2000 feet elevation may only have a touch of color at the tips, while the top of a 3600 mountain may be in full color. Of if the mountain top is past peak, mid-mountain is at peak.

In my example, I'm thinking of the towns in the valley in Rabun County. The towns are at about 2000 feet elevation. Black Rock Mountain is at 3600. Highland NC is at 4000. Within less than 30 minutes, you're going to find great color as you go up or down.

I just googled and Charlotte is at 751 ft. Asheville is at 2133. Black Mountain is at 2400. Boone is 3333.

"This might be later than I wanted."

If you want to go earlier, you need to go further north.

Here is historical data for Maine -
http://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/projec...ere/index.html
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 03:28 AM

I will very carefully and respectfully address my "traffic" comment specifically for the OP. The Charlotte airport is really about 1.5 hours from Asheville--it is already on the northwest side of Charlotte with an exit onto west 74 so you have zero city traffic to fight with. I doubt this is true in Atlanta.
And fares are important, of course. Charlotte is an American hub but now has some low cost airlines finally.
I will totally agree that the drive through the Georgia mountains could be quite pretty and interesting.
The colors have been so up and down for several years depending on rainfall--and of course, temperatures in the fall.
Old Apr 9th, 2016, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

I don't know how accurate they are but the romanticasheville.com web site has estimates for this year.

Maybe going Oct 21 or 22nd isn't such a bad idea. I think we have more days available then.