Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Austin, TX weekend: activities and dinner recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2022, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be in Austin for a few days soon for a meeting. We have Saturday dinner free, along with all day Saturday and much of Sunday. The Longhorns are in town, so I’m guessing we need to go ahead and make reservations. We are staying at the Fairmont and won’t have a car, so we’ll probably be looking at things fairly close by. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 11:59 AM

Alert that it was pre-covid and aged now, below is my trip report. If my visit was a good example, it's a lovely city with very nice people! Please let everyone know how it goes!

https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/austin-getaway-867759/

Last edited by TDudette; Oct 26th, 2022 at 12:11 PM.
Old Oct 30th, 2022, 09:37 AM

Hi jhk3rd—

My favourite things centrally located in Austin that might work this time of year are doing a tour of the State Capitol, the Bullock Museum on Texas history and hiking along the Greenbelt trails between the Colorado River and Barton Springs Pool. I definitely recommend the latter if you get a nice day; you’ll have trouble believing you’re still in a city as it feels like you’re in gorgeous countryside with river tributaries, greenery and cliffs visible. The pool was amazing too, but I cooled off in it in the summer…

Have a great time! Daniel
Old Oct 30th, 2022, 10:08 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
If you subscribe to Netflix, go immediately to S6 E3 of Somebody Feed Phil, which covers Austin.

Old Oct 31st, 2022, 08:07 AM

Hi! I support the Bullock Museum recommendation. I would add Blanton Museum of Art...There's a lot to see, from ancient Greek vases to installations by contemporary local artists.
As for the restaurants...if you are looking for smth fancy, I'd recommend Olamaie’s (it's located near the Bullock Museum). It has this traditional Southern charm

Old Nov 1st, 2022, 02:16 AM

Hey. If you're in for a casual meal, Micklethwait Craft Meats is the best option. It is a foodtruck where they serve outstanding oak-roasted meat
Old Nov 5th, 2022, 07:51 AM

I thought the LBJ Presidential Library was the highlight of Austin. The Capitol is interesting and huge with a free tour by a passionate guide but like the other 2 capitols designed by the same architect (Colorado, Michigan) it is borderline unattractive.

My rather unique perspective of Austin is that it is a typical medium-sized American city practically indistinguishable from a couple dozen others.