Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Austin "Possible Activities" List: Additions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to start a new thread, rather than keep adding to the "what to wear" one, in case the different title attracts others to chime in.

In that thread Austin had asked what we plan to do during our week in Austin, next week. Rather than a daily itinerary, we've put together a list of "potential activities" and we figure we'll see each day what the weather is, what our moods are, how early or late we got up, etc.

So here's our "possibilities" list, in no particular order, and if you have more ideas you think belong on it, do tell!

Book People
Whole Foods
Fourth St. Warehouse District
Sixth St. music clubs
Hike and Bike Trail of Town Lake
Oasis at Lake Travis for appetizers, drinks and sunset
Pedernales State Park
Fredericksburg and/or Gruene
Day Trip to San Antonio/River Walk/Alamo
Gruene/Gruene Hall
Continental Club
A look at the Driskill Hotel
Movie at one of the Alamo drafthouses
Cactus Cafe
Elephant Room
Magnolia Cafe
Barton Springs and Zilker Park
Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum
LBJ Museum
Plus many, many restaurants on the list but what feel like my "don't want to miss" spots based on our tastes, where we're staying, and others' comments: Eastside Cafe, Amy's Ice Cream, Curra's Grill, either Salt Lick or Iron Works, Chuy's, and finding some discoveries on our own!

If you haven't already said in another recent thread, which of these do you think should be "don't miss" (since we likely won't do it all), and what's missing from the list?

Thanks as always!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 02:18 PM

laura, where do you live? I'm just wondering why Whole Foods is on your list.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM

I love watching the sunset from The Oasis - really pretty. Gruene is a lot of fun too; we like eating at the Grist Mill.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 03:01 PM

I think Whole Foods at 5th and Lamar is a must see. I think it's the #2 tourist attraction in Austin, second only to Barton Springs. Perhaps it's even #1. After touring the store, decide which section you want to eat at - sushi, fish, Italian,BBQ etc. You can even have a glass of wine with your meal.

I don't know your age but I avoid 6th St. I'd say it's fine for 30's and under. Book People is fine if you are really book people...I prefer Half Price Books. Tho I wouldn't put either one of them on my must-see list - unless I had plenty of time.

Do either Gruene or F'burg. F'burg needs a full day and is 1.5 hours from Austin. Gruene can be done in less time and is 45 minutes. Sometimes they have music in the afternoon too. Check their website to see who;s playing when you are here. that might help you decide. You can put SA and Gruene possibly in the same day - if you are up early and on the road.

I like your restaurant picks. I'd add Moonshine near the Convention Center, and Homeslice Pizza (on South Lamar) near the Continental Club. Sit outside at Jo's for coffee, right across from the C Club.

I love the Alamo experience. FYI if you go to a movie on the weekend during the opening week, you have to get there at least an hour early. Otherwise I suggest a weekday or night. Still, get there early enuf to read the menu and order - 20 minutes or so. FYI, I don't care much for their food but their popcorn is good and their beer and wine list is pretty good.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM

OOPS. Homeslice Pizza is on South CONGRESS. You also might add The Broken Spoke to your list. If you like to dance. It's a fun place.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 03:31 PM

I just moved to Austin a couple months ago, so I've actually done most of the items on your list as I've tried to get to know the area.

My favorites:
Hike and Bike Trail
Barton Springs
Oasis
Whole Foods (it is definitely worth a look! and it's right near an Amy's)
Mt. Bonnell
Haven't been to Gruene, but enjoyed Fredericksburg and would highly recommend checking out Enchanted Rock, which about 20 minutes further out. I would definitely do Enchanted Rock over Pedernales.

Other fun restaurants if you need more options (ha!):
Austin Java on Barton Springs Road
Hula Hut
County Line on the Lake

Have fun!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 03:33 PM

You know you are in Texas when the high spots include the grocery store!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 03:45 PM

Watching the bats at South Congress Ave Bridge
Rudy's (killer BBQ in a gas station!)
Salt Lick is a can't miss
Shopping in South Congress
Wimberley
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:08 PM

I think Whole Foods at 5th and ...a must see. I think it's the #2 tourist attraction in Austin, second only to Barton Springs. Perhaps it's even #1.

Is the one in Austin any different from anywhere else? It may be the #1 tourist attraction in Austin, but being from San Francisco, where I can go to any number of Whole Foods stores locally, I can assure you that I wouldn't be interested in visiting the Austin Whole Foods store.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:09 PM

Should have added, "which is why I asked where the OP is from".
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM

Whole Foods was born in Austin and the largest store (their flagship store) is located there. Another grocery store worth a visit is Central Market on North Lamar. There's one on South Lamar too but the North Lamar store is the original and better, in my opinion. Come on a weekend around 6:00 and enjoy live music on the deck. Yes, we have live music even at our grocery stores!

Laura, your list is great and I just don't think you'll go wrong no matter what you end up doing. Just keep it flexible so you're not stressed out trying to do it all.

Personally, I like Gruene way better than Fredericksburg, but I may be in the minority. Fredericksburg is so popular but honestly, it's a long street full of the most useless shops. Gruene (pronounced Green) is tiny and gives you just the right amount of stores, Gruene Hall for music, and the Grist Mill for food.

As far as restaurants, you're doing great but do keep an open mind and just wander into places that look good. BBQ is so subjective but I personally prefer IronWorks. Salt Lick is fine but not my favorite and personally, not worth the drive. Remember, in Texas, BBQ means beef so don't expect pork!

One really good way to have great food and drinks is to hit happy hours. Some of my favorites are Saba Blue Water Cafe in the Warehouse District and Manuel's on Congress. Also, if you want a nice dinner, or just happy hour, definitely check out Paggi House. It's close to where you're staying and definitely worth checking out.

I would also not miss going to Esther's Follies. And lastly, I agree about going to Enchanted Rock instead of Perdernales. But, Enchanted requires hiking for sure so make sure you're up for that. It's really close to Fredericksburg so a good day trip.

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:45 PM

I like Gruene a lot better than Fredericksburg too. Definitely thumbs up on Mt. Bonnell and the bats. When are the bats in season? And I think Alamo Drafthouse is really fun; lucky for us they have expanded to Houston!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:52 PM

Agree on Gruene!

Just thought of another place - Near the corner of Barton Springs and Lamar, there is a drive thru hamburger place called P.Terry's. I've never been but people love it. Actually, you can do walk up as well.

However, directly behind it, there is a small Street - Josehpine St. and a small house called House Wine. It's my new favorite place. A converted house - rooms with comfy chairs, sofas, and seating outside. They have music some evenings. SO AUSTIN! They serve wine, beer and some munchies - but you can bring your own food if you want. Sundays they offer half price glasses of wine on bottles that were opened the day before.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:55 PM

Unfortunately, the bats are vacationing down at Cozumel right now. They're in Austin when it's warmer (around April through October).

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:54 PM

I've never been to Fredericksburg, so can't compare, but we enjoyed Gruene, too (on the way from San Antonio to Austin). I got two great pairs of earrings there (unfortunately, one pair since lost).

Live music at the grocery store? Now, that would be an incentive to go shopping!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 03:53 AM

Smart bats!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 06:26 AM

A few more suggestions -
The Texas State Capital has a free and interestig tour.
When walking accross the UT campus between the LBJ and Bob Bullock Museums stop in for a UT Tower tour and or a look at the UT Art museum, both good.
The duck tour gives you a good funky overview of Austin, culminated with a drive into Lady Bird Lake.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:31 AM

For good live music off 6th Street, go to
- Antone's
- The Continental Club

IMO, both clubs are better than everything on 6th Street (which has become very commercial).

We also liked the Austin Museum of Art Downtown which is small but has currently two excellent temporary exhibitions. The Texas Chair Project is gorgeous!

For dinner, we enjoyed Eddie V's (excellent seafood, live music).

Be sure to walk across the bridges (nicest is Lamar) to Zilker Park. Watch the people, relax and do not miss Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:44 AM

I second AustinTraveler's recommendation of Manuel's on Congresss. They have great lunch specials, and the food was some of the best we had on our trip!

We also enjoyed HomeSlice Pizza as Austin advised. It was a nice change of pace after eating in the nicer sitdown restaurants. You can grab a slice and a soda from the takeout window, then stroll over to some of the shops in the area. They have a bit "funkier" vibe than the shops downtown.

No bats while we were there, but plenty of blackbirds with this really strange cry. It almost sounded eletronic; very piercing. Just part of keeping Austin weird, I guess!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM
yk

ditto to a tour of the texas State Capitol, as well as the Austin Museum of Art, AND the Blanton Museum of Art (of UT)
http://blantonmuseum.org/index.cfm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -