Reload this Page >

Austin & San Antonio trip questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 05:05 AM
loangalsal

We are going to Austin and/or San Antonio the last week of March. I did do a search for past threads, but looking for any fresh advice. Can we do both cities in a week? Or would it be better to do only one and add some "day trips?" Have a 9 year old that wants to swim, do we need a heated pool at end of March? Any hotel advice? (anything but the VERY expensive is OK) We will have a car, but want to walk to most places when possible, so want to be centrally located. Heard good and interesting things about Austin Motel, but a few very negatives also...(urine smell?!?)Favorite restaurants (not chains, looking for the interesting or authentic ethnic type places) or day trips? THANKS!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:10 AM
michelle

Try the Gunther House in San Antonio for incredible breakfasts and baked goods. March can be pretty unpredictable - could be quite warm weather or still on the cool side so a heated pool would be safe.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 03:56 AM
loangalsal

Boy, these get buried fast! Anyone else?

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Gretchen

You might frequent the Texas travel board on AOL for more info from folks.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Stang

Austin and San Antonio are a little over an hour apart, but I would recommend splitting your trip betweeen them. Like mentioned above, late March could be cold, hot, or in between. Because of the lack of a hard winter here, I don't know how many of the pools are heated. Barton Springs natural pool is popular, but the water is always cold.

Austin--The Austin Motel is nice, but not in downtown proper. Downtown hotels include Marriot, Omni, and Sheraton. Downtown historic hotels, which can be very expensive, are the Driskill and the Stephen F. Austin Intercontinental. Austin is a poor city to see by walking. You will need to drive. The Capitol is downtown, but the LBJ Library is at U of TX and the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is SW of town. Oddly, one of our popular tourist attractions is our two Central Market grocery stores. Ethnic restaurants are mainly Tex-Mex. Chuys (local, not corporate, chain), Gueros, and many East Austin family restuarants are favorites. For Interior Mexican, try Fonda San Miguel. Hudson's on the Bend is a very good "game" restaurant, and we have some good asian restaurants.

San Antonio--Much better walking city, thanks to the river walk. Many hotels nearby. I think the Marriot, Menger (historic), and Emily Morgan are near the Alamo. You will need a car to see the rest of the mission churches. A trolley will take you to the Market and Pico de Gallo Mexican Restaurant.

Hope this helps. If you want a day trip, try Fredericksburg in the hill country. It is a nice drive, and has good shopping and restaurants. Two sites for info on restaurants and such are www.auschron.com and www.texasmonthly.com

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Berk

We have stayed at the Marriott on the Riverwalk several times..love it! Try to stay in a hotel on the Riverwalk, it is definitely worth it. The Long Star Cafe on the Riverwalk is very good as is The Naked Iguana (mexican food) and then there is always the Hard Rock. All up and down the Riverwalk you will find tons of places to eat and also to shop at. The Boat Tour is worth taking too.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 03:33 AM
texan

You should look for a heated pool if you want to swim, as the weather will be unpredictable then.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Marcia

Listen to Stang. He (she?) was right on target. Good advice. Don't forget day trip to Lake Travis and the Oasis.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 03:29 AM
john

Austin Motel is funky and interesting, but pretty budget. If you are looking for inexpensive lodging without too many frills, this would be fine.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 05:41 AM
lisa

The last week of March is usually very nice - mid 70's would be a safe bet. Not too many heated pools around here tho. (I think that the Marriott spin off (sorry, forget the name of it...) On IH35 and Ben white in Austin has an indoor heated pool. The location however, sucks big time, since that intersection is a nightmare.)

In Austin, you may need your car. SA, probably not. The Austin Motel is funky, as well as the San Jose (nicer, but more $$, just one block from each other). Neither hotel has the ammenities of the bigger hotels, such as the SHeraton, Radisson, Hyatt or 4 Seasons (the nicest!) Austin and San Jose motels are located on S. COngress, near some great restaurants and funky shopping areas. (Called "SO CO") Just a short drive from Town Lake/Zilker park. Great for hiking, swimming (if you can stand the 68 degree water) great playscape, little train ride, jogging trails, hiking, canoeing. Also downtown is the AUstin Childrens Museum.

I reccommend a trip to Lake Travis and the Oasis Restaurant to watch the sunset. Austin has a "zoo" too, not too far south of town.

You can do both cities in a week. Whether you do one and add another as a day trip or split really doesn't matter, since they are such a short drive. If I had to chose, I'd split them.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 07:05 AM
J.C.

Austin: I would suggest going to Kerbey Lane. There are 3 locations in Austin - they have excellet pancakes! They are open 24 hours and serve breakfast 24 hours. On Saturday mornings-you may have to wait. As far as transportation- you will need to drive (parking usually stinks around town), but around downtown you can walk. You can get a fantastic view of Austin from Mt. Bonnell and the UT Tower.

San Antonio & Austin are both doable in a week. If you like shopping you may want to make a stop in San Marcos-the outlet mall is great!