Aussie Family- Advice sought - Washington/Boston/NYC/Virginia Sep 2011

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 2 adults and 3 teens are flying into Washington for a 5 day prize trip in Sep/Oct this year. As we have never been to the US before we are looking at extending our trip to about 2 1/2 weeks to make the most of the LONG flights.
We are currently thinking of flying up to Boston and making our way back to Washington by train or plane stopping off in NYC and any other suggested highlights on the way.

Our particular interests are History (particularly the Civil War) Politics and the big Art and Science Museums. Kids would love to also see the main NYC sights they are used to seeing on TV

Its a lot to ask for such a short trip and having never been we have no idea how feasible it is. We are trying to stay away from hiring a car as we drive on the wrong side of the road over here and it would be very confusing in traffic. We don't mind walking fair distances and are happy to take local tours or public transport to get around. Even happy to do tours a few days long if any are highly recommended.

We are very early in our planning but thought it would be great to get some suggestions from the experts to help us to know what we are looking for!

Thanks!!!
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 01:24 PM

The northeast corridor between Boston, New York, and Washington DC is one of the few areas of the US with effective public transportation options between the major cities. I prefer to use ground transportation between these cities since trains and buses arrive and depart in city centers. Also by the time you factor in traveling to and from the airports and security check-in requirements, it takes about the same amount of time as flying

Trains: The three cities are well connected by the Amtrak train system. This costs more than a bus, especially for the premium Acela service (which may not be worth the extra cost), but is not subject to the traffic delays the affect a bus. Here's the official website for schedules and tickets:

http://www.amtrak.com

Be sure to check for Amtrak discounts if and when you buy tickets. You might get a discount for advanced purchase or a certain route. Here's a link to the current offerings so you can see the possibilities:

http://www.railserve.com/amtrak_coupons.html

There are a few bus lines that connect these cities, though the recent popular discount bus lines have become very popular. Tickets can be incredibly cheap depending on advanced purchase:

http://us.megabus.com/
https://www.boltbus.com/
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Good information on transportation between Boston, NYC and D.C. from Ellenem. You'll want to travel by public transportation in each of the cities, so you might check out their websites:

Boston: www.mbta.com
NYC: www.mta.info/nyct/
D.C.: www.wmata.com

If you have an interest in the Civil War, you MUST visit the Gettysburg Battlefield. There might be some bus tours from D.C. at that time of year, but your best bet will be traveling by car. (I know you prefer not to drive, but it will be so worth it. I've driven on the left in Australia and got some advice before I tried it. Perhaps you can do the same.) Your visit to Gettysburg will be greatly enhanced by hiring a Licensed Battlefield Guide. For info on these guides, see: www.gettysburgtourguides.org Also, there are some excellent Civil War battlefield sites in Virginia, many near D.C. The two closest to D.C. are probably Fredericksburg National Battlefield Park (www.nps.gov/frsp) and Manassas National Battlefield Park (www.nps.gov/mana)
Finally, if you would like to see some lovely Virginia countryside, I'd recommend a drive out to Shenandoah National Park. It can be done as a day trip from D.C. but there are also two lodges in the park for overnight stays. At that time of year, you must book rooms in advance. (October is particularly popular for visitors because of the changing leaves.) For a day trip, I'd recommend driving to the Byrd Visitor Center and get some recommendations for hikes from the rangers there. Have lunch at the nearby Big Meadow Lodge and be sure to save some time to enjoy the views, the fireplace and the rocking chairs at the Big Meadow Lodge Great Room. For more info on the park, see: www.nps.gov/shen
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 01:57 PM

The time you have should allow you to see what you want if you keep moving.

I agree that to see Gettysburgh you really need to go by car (you can check for tours but I always find them lest common denominator). And you should definitely see something colonial - at a minimum Mount Vernon (Washington's home) but better an overnight at Colonial Williamsburgh.

Amtrak is good between cities - just check in advance for discounts. Flying and train usually take the same amount of time and cost the same as well. There are discount buses - but if you run into traffic or bad weather or accident it can add hours to your trips.

What you should do as soon as your dates are final is to start looking for hotels - esp in NYC - since you are headed into the most expensive and crowded time of the year there.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 02:03 PM

The Gettysburg battlefield is the most famous in the North, and the one most easy for you to access on a Boston-DC trip. But Civil War sites will be few and far between in the areas you describe. Most of the Civil War was fought in the Confederate states and to some degree in the border states (Maryland, mostly, of that latter group), NOT the Union. You're better off looking for American Revolution sites in both Philly and the Boston area (NYC was a center of Toryism during the Revolution and the British held it for most of the war, so it has far fewer Revolution sites than Philly or Boston).

Philly has the Franklin Museum, which is an excellent science museum. It also has Constitution Hall, that dang bell with the big crack in it and numerous sites of historic importance relating to the Revolution. Boston is the birthplace of the American Revolution and a history lesson in itself.

NYC has the American Museum of Natural History, DC has the Smithsonian and the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

Art museums are like shooting fish in a barrel -- Boston has the Museum of Fine Arts ("MFA"), Philly has the Philadelphia Museum of Art, NYC has the Met and MoMA and Whitney and Guggenheim and Brooklyn Museum and . . . and DC has the Mall that runs from the Lincoln Memorial to the Capitol and is lined with museums, memorials, monuments, etc., which you just need to Google to learn about.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 02:06 PM

You can take commuter trains from DC to Fredericksburg, VA, near battlefields and a cute colonial city (one of George Washington's farms is there). You can also take a commuter train to Shepherdstown/Harpers Ferry, two historic small towns in the West Virginia panhandle right across the river from Antietam. Each city is within 2 hours of DC.

Colonial Williamsburg is a blast if your kids like history, and there is a good amusement park nearby- Busch Gardens- for rides. This is also close to Virginia Beach if you want some relaxation time. September will be still be hot enough to swim and sun, while October can still be warm or pleasantly cool (70s).

The great thing about DC is that we have lots of museums but since most are free, you can run in for a quick exhibit tour but not spend so long that the kids get bored just to get your money's worth!

Colonial history sites in Philly are also fun and right in the middle of the NYC-DC train route.

What a great family adventure! Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 02:16 PM

In Boston, don't miss the USS Constitution.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7623081257993/

In NYC, subway art in the Times Square station, of which here's a sample:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7623088372713/
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 02:29 PM

We very much enjoyed our visit to Harper's Ferry, W. Virginia, about 1-1/2 hours from DC by car (I see someone else posted that you can get there by commuter train).

http://www.nps.gov/hafe/historyculture/index.htm

But if you do decide to go to Gettysburg, Frederick, MD would be on your route.

http://www.fredericktourism.org/memb...gory/17/sect:v
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Wow! You guys are quick and give great advice!
We are definitely looking at going to Williamsburg, maybe we can train it there from DC and hire a car from there. Gettysburg is high on the list as well.
We are committed to 5 nights in Washington as that's our prize and I don't think we will have any problems filling in the time there!
Just worried we may be rushing too much to go to Boston and NYC and Williamsburg/Gettysburg as well. We love to walk the places we go and get a feel for what its like to actually live there (sounds odd I know but we even love to go to the local supermarkets!)
Even though its so far into the future and they have previously travelled Asia and the Pacific the kids are excited already.
Thanks so much for the comments so far, we really appreciate them!
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 03:19 PM

Did anyone mention the museum of Science in Boston? It is a fantastic one.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 04:24 PM

If the trip will last into oct definitely leave Boston for last - since you will be at the very beginning of the leaves changing - which is like nowhere else outside the US. (I know some european disagree - but they don;t get the same blazing reds and fiery oranges that we do - since the trees are different - esp sugar maples which I haven;t seen anyplace else. You should be able to take a day trip from boston into the mountains to see some good color.

Also if you've never had real maple syrup (not the maple flavored stuff) definitely get a good pancake breakfast one day with real bacon (in strips and crunchy) and pancakes with real butter and 100% maples syrup. (Do not go to a cheap pancake house - since they can't afford to use the real stuff ($6 for a small bottle) at their prices. (I accidentally ate n one in Georgia and they used margarine instead of real butter - and I swear the "maple syrup" was sugar water.)

All the major east cost cities have a ton of history but Boston wins hands down for the REvolution. Definitely get a good guidebook and walk the Freedom Trail. And don;t forget to check out eh giant cod fish on the front of the State House.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 07:32 PM

A monument to Civil War Col. Robert Gould Shaw (who was white) and the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment (whose officers were white but whose enlisted men were African-American) is opposite the State House in Boston (on the Freedom Trail). The 1989 movie "Glory" is about the 54th.

There are a number of sites that were stops on the Underground Railroad in the areas you want to visit. Not a railroad at all, it was a network of houses, churches, and other places that offered refuge to slaves fleeing the South. The Boston Globe newspaper published an article featuring several in New England about a year ago:

http://www.boston.com/travel/explore...stones/?page=2

For a listing by of sites by state for the whole USA (which, unfortunately, does not include cities or website), go to http://www.nps.gov/history/ugrr/ and click on the "Updated Listings" link. You'll have to do a web search to get more info on those that interest you.

Two other thoughts:

(1) Don't be afraid of renting a car, at least to do some driving to sites away from the cities. Virtually all rental cars in the US have automatic transmissions, so you will not have to mess with shifting gears. And you will adjust to driving on the "wrong" side of the road pretty quickly (I was in South Africa in October and found the adjustment pretty easy) - especially if you are not in a big city. Don't even attempt to drive in Boston, though!

(2) I love visiting grocery stores, too! I think it's a great window on the places you visit, and trying out some of the local foods adds to the fun of the trip. Any time I go outside the US, even just to Canada, I try to visit at least one supermarket. (My friends are amused that sometimes my souvenirs include boxes of cereal or similar items!)
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 07:40 PM

nytraveler - Where is the cod outside the State House? The Sacred Cod hangs inside the House of Representatives in the New State House (carved in 1784, it is actually the third cod to hang above the legislators).

3LP - If you want a tour of the New State House (the oldest parts of which date back to the late 1700s) you should arrange it ahead of time (they are free - see http://www.sec.state.ma.us/trs/trsidx.htm for details). The Old State House - former home to the current as well as the previous 2 Sacred Cod - is now a museum and has an admission charge (http://www.bostonhistory.org/?s=osh).
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

I was on the verge of dropping Boston off my list (except husband's cousin is a Doc at Johns Hopkins) but looks like it might turn out to be a highlight the Sacred Cod has me intrigued!

I'm loving all the brilliant ideas guys...I don't know how we will fit them all in!
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 11:21 PM

Johns Hopkins is in Baltimore.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 04:18 AM

Flying to Boston and making your way back to DC by train is an excellent plan.

I also think a car rental for day trips outside the city (such as Harper's Ferry or Gettysburg) is the way to go. You should play it by ear and make sure it's going to be a nice day before committing to a car rental.

You'll pay a few dollars more than if you had reserved in advance but it's good insurance against spending a day outdoors in the rain.

2-1/2 weeks is a good chunk of time. However you split your time up, you'll have an opportunity to see a lot.

You already have 5 nights in DC locked in - I would consider an extra night for each day trip planned from DC.

I don't think Williamsburg is a day trip - consider staying 1 night (or even 2) in Williamsburg.

For other cities, I would consider a minimum of:

3 nights in Boston (add 1 for each day trip planned)

1 night in Philadelphia (add 1 for each day trip planned)

5 nights in NYC (no real day trips outside NYC come to mind) - hotels in NYC are expensive by American standards, but about equal to (or slightly less) what you would pay in Sydney. Don't let the fact that NYC is more expensive than your other destinations shorten your stay there. It NEEDS the time as there is SO MUCH to see and do there.

This leaves 7-8 extra nights to split up and add to the minimums suggested above or for other day trips as it suits your interests.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 07:28 AM

Actually, the sacred cod hangs in the MA state Senate chamber. It isn't exciting in and of itself - just what it represents, which is that the early economy of MA was very dependent on the fishing industry. It faces left when Democrats are the majority party and right when the Republicans are. Needless to say, it has faced left for a very long time! The tours of the State House are free and the old parts of the bldg are interesting. There is so much Revolutionary War history in the Boston area. If that interests you, leave enough time to enjoy it.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 08:00 AM

irishswampyankee - the Sacred Cod is in the House Chamber, not the Senate Chamber.

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/trs/trsbok/hourep.htm

The corresponding symbol in the Senate is the Holy Mackerel, part of the chandelier - although it is much smaller and lacks the long history of the Sacred Cod.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 09:44 AM

no real day trips outside NYC come to mind

You could take a day trip up the Hudson to Hyde Park (home of Franklin Roosevelt) and other cute towns in the area - Amtrak's line runs right along the Hudson for some nice views. A little trickier to get to, Teddy Roosevelt's home on Long Island was surprisingly interesting, with well-versed docents for the guided tours.

While it's true that there is less Revolutionary War history in NYC than in Boston, Philadelphia or DC, there is still plenty. Also the NY Historical Society often has interesting exhibits, and they're always well curated IMO.

If you're interested in Boston colonial history, a day trip out to Concord and/or Lexington is definitely in order. In Concord, sites are readily accessible off the commuter train from Boston, including the Old North Bridge. It also was the home to a number of notable authors, including Thoreau, Hawthorne, and the Alcotts, all of who's homes are part of the local historical society. (Lexington has more restaurants and lodging offerings.)

Oh, and if you're interested in seeing the fall foliage in the Boston area, you could always do your proposed itinerary in reverse: travel up from DC through NYC to Boston, then fly back. You might even be able to time it so that flight coordinates with the one for your return home... (admittedly a lot of sitting at one time!).
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Just goes to show our lack of US geography skills, hubby thought JH hospital was easy to get to from Boston, guess that gives us more touring time if we don't visit the cousins!
So with 3 nights in Boston, 5 in NYC, 1 in Philly, 5 in Washington and 3 or 4 extras it sounds like we might need to try to try to stay longer and send our University student daughter back home on the plane by herself!

Boston sounds wonderful, wait til I tell the kids about the Holy Mackeral as well as the Sacred Cod!

Thinking my next stop is an easy read book on American History! Even my 12 year old knows more than me!

Off to do some guidebook and history book shopping!

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -