Search

Aurora Borealis?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Molly

Aurora Borealis?

Husband is turning 50 in June and has always wanted to see the aurora borealis and hike on a glacier. We're fit and active. When and where do we go to see the aurora borealis? places to see/hike glaciers?

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Kam

I've always wanted to see it too... I've read best time is Jan-Feb and just outside of Fairbanks, Alaska is great. Lots of B&B's and hot springs areas... dog sledding, etc while you watch them overhead... just what I've read.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Nat

You won't see it in Fairbanks or anywhere in Alaska in June with almost 24 hours daylight

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Alan Cleveland

Molly, since climbing on a glacier and seeing the northern lights are activities of different seasons, maybe you could bring your husband to Alaska in September or October. At that time of year you should beat the snow and still have some darkness (a requisuite for viewing the aurora). Glacier hiking is best in July or August, and aurora viewing is best in the dead of winter. Split the difference and make a gamble.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 01:53 AM
lynn

we have the same question about the N.Lights. we are going on inside passage cruise 13th sept. what's the chances of seeing them at that time of year. what will the weather be like? Also, will we see the whales?

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 07:10 AM
Paul Rabe

Check this URL:

www.pfrr.alaska.edu/~pfrr/AURORA/INDEX.HTM

Seeing the Northern Lights is a matter of being far north, during a time of dark, and when the sun solar's activity is at a height. It's also a matter of dumb luck; as huge solar flares can send the Lights as far south as Texas.

If hiking on a glacier is what you want, you can do that in places like Banff or Glacier NP during the summer; no need to go to Alaska (although there's WONDERFUL glaciers there as well).

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 09:13 AM
dakotah

There aren't any existing glaciers in North Dakota to hike on, but growing up here I can remember seeing the "Northern Lights" many, many times throughout the years. Sometimes they're swirling; other times they just dance away all over the sky! As the previous poster stated, it's something you can't really plan on - it's on nature's schedule. But we do have big dark skys full of bright stars most nights; mid-August is a good time to watch the meteor showers each year, as well as enjoying daytime activities. Go to DiscoverND for more info.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 09:37 AM
Paul

I think that Yellowknife, Alaska is a popular location for seeing the Aurora Borealis. Anyone?

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 02:28 PM
sali

Northern Canada, ontario has some wonderful occurances in June and July.
Go to heavens-above.com or even the NASA page to find more.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 02:43 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Paul, do you mean Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories of Canada? I agree with the "dumb luck" part of Paul Rabe's comment as far as trying to get a look at the Northern Lights and that June would probably be one of the poorer opportunities -- though you can get lucky even then. The problem is that displays of the Aurora Borealis increase in frequency on an annual basis the farther north you go. As pointed out, the days are incredibly long in the far north in June (they don't call it "The Land of the Midnight Sun" for nothing.) As for glaciers, those along Highway 93 from Banff to Jasper in the Canadian Rockies of Alberta are very accessible and it is a spectacular place to go for that part of your experience. I've seen the Northern Lights in various locations, including western Canada, but the most brilliant displays I've witnessed were in Iceland -- a place with plenty of glaciers, too, by the way. Don't rule it out, since it can be done relatively inexpensively in the months outside of summer. (Take a look at www.icelandair.com)