August in America

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Caz

August in America

Could anyone be good enough to give us their advice on where to take a vacation in USA, last 2 weeks in August.We have been to Florida, New York, San Fransisco, Vegas. Many thanks.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Denise

Wow, there are so many places. Don't know what kind of vacation you are looking for. How about Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park. In my opinion Yellowstone is mindboggling. Seems like the whole time I was there I couldn't believe what I was seeing. If you also wanted a big city experience you could go to the Denver area or to Salt Lake City which is where the winter olympics were.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 08:51 AM
xxx

San Diego, Portland and Seattle all offer great summer weather (no humidity)!

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Jeremy

Your request is a tad too broad for detailed advice -- help us out here, Caz...

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Stephanie P.

Caz:

August is basically unbearable in the South, (and I love the South - just the facts). Why don't you opt for New England and maybe combine it with a trip to upstate New York? You could head west and visit Niagara Falls both NY/Canada sides and then go on down to Lake Erie. I went up to the Dunkirk/Fredonia, NY, area (right on Lake Erie - 40 miles south of Buffalo) and loved it. Plenty of room on the side of the road to bike, and there are vineyards so that you can purchase some wine. You can then head further west and maybe even go to Six Flags in Ohio, right on Lake Erie too. If you stay in the NE, the heat isn't too bad.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Frank

Hi....I agree with a prior post. Avoid the south. The National Parks are beautiful, but, they have been in the news recently because of monumental traffic and crowding. I think you should stay coastal....the Hamptons on Long Island, NY or Montauk, coastal Maine, Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket combined with Massachusetts/Cape Cod, but they can be crowded too. Good luck. Frank

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 03:00 PM
USgirl

It sounds like you have already seen some of the variety this great country has to offer, but you haven't seen the beauty of the countryside yet.

I vote for a National Park. Yellowstone was a great idea.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Caz

Cheers for all that excellent info. US Girl and Denise's suggestion of Yellowstone Park is very tempting... Stephanie's New England tip sounds fab and Frank's travel itinery seems out of this world. As usual, we will be spoilt for choice in your wonderful country. I feel the call of San Diego. Hope you all have fab vacations this year. Once again, thankyou from Blighty.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Anita

I hate to suggest a Northern place (just kidding) but the South really is a bit hard to take in August.Have you thought about PA? I have visited family then & it was pleasant weather. If you have access to a car you could do Philadelphia, Poconos, Amish country & more.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 11:36 AM
x

really hard to understand how San Diego could top all the other suggestions...??

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 11:54 AM
travellyn

I'd also recommend a national park or two in a cooler area: Glacier, Yellowstone / Grand Teton, Rocky Mountain, Yosemite (probably too crowded, though), Mount Ranier, Olympic, even the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. How about Alaska?

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 12:03 PM
sdguy

San Diego in August is busy with tourists, but is a great vacation spot. You won't be sorry with your choice!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Stephanie P.

X:

I don't understand it either but alot of Europeans like to stick to the big cities and not get a real feel of what middle America is all about. It will be Caz's loss.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Denise

Yes, I voted for Yellowstone but I love San Diego. Its GORGEOUS. I think Caz made a great choice!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Judy

Hi Kaz, we just were in Yosemite for 4days, and I have to say, I just absolutely ADORED Yosemite! We were also at Lake Tahoe(quite a few Brits were there too). I loved Lake Tahoe, it was gorgeous! When we were at Tahoe, getting ready to drive to Yosemite, I told my husband that I did not think Yosemite could beat Lake Tahoe, but it did! Yosemite is so beautiful, it brings tears to my eyes.
But I do like San Diego however, and it is wonderful too! I must say CA has it all, yes?
Have fun whaever you do.
judy