August honeymoon to Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're from Baltimore and we've always wanted to visit Maine. We have heard great things about Acadia and Bar Harbor. We want to eat lots of lobster, bike in the park and go whalewatching. Any advice on other things we should do or places we should go? Will driving be awful during the summer--should we fly instead? Can you all recommend some romantic places to stay?
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Sounds great!

The Keeper's House on Isle au Haut (part of Acadia, but separate island), has always seemed like it would be a romantic place for a honeymoon:

http://www.keepershouse.com
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:27 AM

An excellent choice - we spent a blissful 4 days there after we were married in Sept 2002. Tons to do- I would recommend driving the Acadia loop to get your bearings first, stopping at thunder hole, etc. (just look for all the tour busses that are pulled over!), and buying the walking/hiking/biking trails mapbook for sale at the visitors' center. It has accurate descriptions of scenery, intensity, and mileage. There are many places in town that will rent bikes, and there's a place right on the main dock for half-day whale watching tours - we saw seven whales, 3 different species. I'd highly, highly recommend dinner one night at Havana, with a splurge at George's a close second. There are a few websites out there courtesy of the Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce- check them out for maps, links to whale watching tours, restaurant menus, and breweries. We toured the Island's two microbreweries and were impressed with both - again, google under "Acadia" or "Mount Desert Island" and "Beer" and you'll find them - the names escape me. We're both purists, though, and didn't think the blueberry ale was all that...
We stayed at the beautiful Cleftstone Manor B&B, which was just gorgeous (again, Google will help). We splurged on the big room on the website photo with the four-poster king and fireplace, and fluffy towels, and a firelog every night. They did a fantastic job, and breakfast was great.
Re: traffic, etc. August is high season, and it will be crowded. Can you hold off until mid September, when all the families are gone? Southwest goes from BWI to Manchester NH, I believe, and it would be an awfully long drive for you (I am guessing 14 plus hours- it's pretty deep into Maine. I'm in CT, and it takes me 7 hours to get south of Baltimore, and it took us 7.5 to get to Bar Harbor). If you came during the week, you might get a good deal on a rental car.
Have a great time! I'm jealous!!
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Bar Harbor is a great pick. My friends got married there, right downtown at the Bar Harbor Inn. It's gorgeous and right on the water, beautiful setting for a wedding. Good luck
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:43 PM

I believe the Maine Lobster Festival is the first week of August in Rockland.

Be sure to plan some time for kayaking.

Have a great honeymoon!!!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 10:14 PM

We were in Boothbay in September and they had tons of very romanatic B&B's. Very quaint town with beautiful views!
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 04:12 AM

Reserve your hotel ASAP. August is the height of the season and prime weekend reservations are often gone by May.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 06:43 AM

Tidal Falls lobster pound on Frenchman's Bay
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 10:34 AM

If you decide to stay in Portland area at all, check out the Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth...right on the beach; one of our favorites. Also I highly recommend Norumbega in Camden. I think you will want to have a car for sure; traffic should be nothing compared to where you are from.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 07:44 AM

We spent our honeymoon in Maine a few years ago... and would suggest you check out Kennebunkport... lots of romantic little inns (Captain Lord Mansion was our favourite...)
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 11:07 PM

We also stayed at The Keeper's House and loved it. The island is beautiful with much of it National Park. We road bikes(old schwinns) around the island and felt like true adventurers on our return to the Keeper's House. I can still recall our lobster dinner that night. Get Maine: An Explorer's Guide..it's the best. You may also want to check out the Bluehill area. I did find Bar Harbor in August to be a bit much..very crowded. Hopefully. someone will be able to recommend a quiet and romantic place off the beaten track for you there.