Attention Schoolteachers

Search

Attention Schoolteachers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Attention Schoolteachers

Many hotel chains offer their "government rates" to schoolteachers who have a state-issued I.D. When calling their 800 reservation numbers, simply ask if a schoolteacher with state govt issued i.d. qualifies for a govt rate. (Some hotels might tell you you only qualify while you are traveling on business/ to a teachers convention etc)

A teacher friend of ours was recently offered the $79 rate for an Embassy Suites where the AAA rate was $119.

Good luck! Teachers deserve a break!
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dad, a high school teacher, has been doing this for as long as I can remember. We have had the opportunity to stay at some really nice hotels because of this discount. It is a great break and I intend to take full advantate of it when I travel!!
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 03:55 PM
jor

Lets give this cut rate to hard working farmers who put food on the table for school children and teachers. My father worked harder as a farmer than any school teacher. "Government workers" already get too many perks and too many government holidays off.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 04:22 PM

gee jor, nobody's knocking the farmer, why knock the teacher?
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 05:40 PM

And in the spirit of the day, why not argue for Veterans, as well, jor? Where's your head?
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 05:43 PM

I'm wishing I could resist making this post, but jor, I've done both. Farming and teaching... teaching is a hell of a lot harder... On the other hand, I've got nothing against farmers. I'm just annoyed by your uninformed rant.

Old Nov 11th, 2004, 05:57 PM

Yeah, teachers really get too many perks. Crappy pay, dilapidated facilities, extremely long hours, and cranky parents and community members who think they don't work very hard - all while being expected to teach students who have been raised with poor behavior and social skills and students that have no appreication for a free education. I won't even go into the "No child left behind" ignorance they have to deal with.

My mother, grandmother, and many of my aunts and uncles are teachers, and they work as hard as any farmer I know - and I grew up in a farm community, so I DO know just how hard farm work is. I've even mucked a few stalls and milked a few cows myself.

jor, my guess is you don't personally know any teachers. Otherwise, you wouldn't be so quick to put them down. There are too many people out there that think "teachers have the summer off" - no they don't. They have to take continuing educaton classes to maintain certification, and many take up a summer job to make ends meet. No wonder the good teachers are all leaving our schools - who wants to be treated like that? I'm not saying farmers don't deserve a break too, but don't take it out on the teachers. Take it out on the pro athletes, or the ceo's, or the doctors and lawyers - just not the teachers.

Old Nov 11th, 2004, 07:20 PM

jor is somewhat right...farmers get so much government subsidies that they should qualify as government employees! And jor, if you're speaking for the the big corporate farmers you can thank them for torturing farm animals and polluting our land, air and water.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 08:04 PM

Whoa, Jor! Down Boy!! I'm a special ed. teacher and though I've never worked as a farmer, lived in a farming community does NOT mean that I don't work hard. How in the heck do you know difficult MY job is? Have you been in my classroom to know? How easy do you think it is for my coworkers?

Beckers made many of the same points I was going to, so I won't be redundant; however, I am personally offended. How dare you make a blanket statement saying that your dad, the farmer, worked harder than ANY teacher. Do you mean to tell me, Jor, that there is not one single teacher that worked harder than him? I am not downplaying your father's hard work but to put down a whole profession's dedication is not only insulting but it also makes for a false argument.

As for the gov't rate, I was told so frequently that I don't qualify that I no longer ask about it. I have an ID but it is not issued by the state; it's issued by my school district...My certifications are of course all issued by the state but that's not recognized by those offering gov't. discounts. So maybe that little tidbit should make you happy, Jor...
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 08:18 PM
jor

Farmers are the historic core of American free enterprise which America is famous for. They do not get holidays off. They served in the military and do not get Verterans Day off from milking the cows or harvesting corn and soy beans like most of the rest of us do.

As of this hour farmers milked cows and shoveled manure Twice today. It is hard and messy work which very few people would ever consider doing. They do not get the summer off to go to career training seminars as teachers do and they don't get cut rates on airlines. Their sons and daughters work in the fields and clean out milking barn manure during their "summer vacation".

Muffin Eater, I am a veteran, My father is a WW11 veteran, and my grandfather was a WW1 veteran. We just don't run around on veteran's day at the local parade. Farmers have work to do.

Giro, if you don't like "torturing farm animals and polluting our land, air and water" farmers don't either and they don't enjoy eating beef and pork any more than you do. Maybe you should consider not having another baby who will consume thousands of pounds of beef and pork over its life time and polluting your water.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 08:23 PM

i'm a federal government employee. i work my butt off. i do a good job. my boss and the management treats us like crap. they have taken away many of our benefits. but at work we still work hard and do a good job. most of the time i get better discount with aarp or aaa rates. i like farmers and school teachers. i am not a sour puss like somebody here.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 09:40 PM

Aren't we all working hard? Why should anyone get special benefits? I think that may have been what Jor was trying to say?
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 09:51 PM
jor

Alisa, Exactly. No "government rates".
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 03:20 AM

My Mom was a teacher and she worked her butt off. I am a nurse and I work my butt off. One of the differences between the two is I know of no teacher that is required to work weekends, nights, or holidays. They close schools, they don't ever close hospitals. If a teacher screws up my kid may not learn math. If I screw up, you die.

The point being I chose my job. I fact, I love my job. I respect and admire teachers (and farmers). But it is our choice what we do in life, as difficult as it can be. So I proudly ask for my discount. And will continue to do so.

By the way, if you think teachers make little money, check out what a nurse makes. And we don't get summers off.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 03:38 AM

Jersey, I fully believe being a nurse OR a teacher is a "Calling". Neither is for the faint of heart! And IMO both are grossly underpaid and underappreciated.

However, all teachers work evenings at home, grading papers, doing lessonplans and a myriad of paperwork now required.

In addition, many middle and high school teachers go much further working nights and weekends - any coach of any sport spends copious hours after normal school hours. Any band or choir director, or theatre teacher also spend countless additional hours both before and after school. These hours are often unpaid, and if they are given a 'supplemental', it amounts to pennies per hour - no time & a half for them.

Again, anyone working in either the teaching OR nursing profession has to feel 'called' to it. They are a hero in my book, and to our society and deserve our thanks and gratitude.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 04:07 AM

jor, seriously, if you're going to talk about this, get a clue first.

1. Farmers are not the only ones who served in the military. And I've got news for you - teachers didn't get Veteran's Day off either, at least not in any school district I know of. They still had to get up and go to work, too.

2. TEACHERS DO NOT HAVE THE SUMMER OFF. They work like the rest of us. Career training seminars? Ha. Try taking a full semester's worth of classes in three months. That is not funtime, that's work.

3. As of the same hour you were talking about last night, teachers had probably seen about 200 students. They had created lesson plans. The had gone out of their way to help at least one student. They had dealt with cranky parents who don't appreciate them and don't understand why their son or daughter is getting a failing grade - hmm, could it be because the parents don't make them do their homework? They had been blamed with the stupidity and poor behavior problems from children whose parents haven't taken any initiative in their children's lives. They had been public speakers, problem solvers, mathemeticians, sociologists, career advisors, and all too often, the only rational adult who cares about a child and his or her well-being. Then they went home and spent their evening grading papers and making more lesson plans, getting ready for the next day. All while getting paid less than what they could make at McDonald's.

3. Teachers' kids work, too. I'm sorry if you feel like you were the only one. You weren't. So you helped out to make the family farm run? I worked fast food to help our single-parent family pay the rent and put food on the table. And I worked my ass off, all while appreciating and taking advantage of the free education I was receiving.

jor, if you have children, I feel very sorry for their teachers. Like I said, I'm sorry if you feel slighted having been the child of a farmer. But please try to open your mind to the possibility that you and your family are not the only ones who work hard to support themselves. And at the end of the day, remember this - at some point, your father made the decision to be a farmer. I honestly don't think anyone put a gun to his head and said "Milk these cows or I'll kill you." We all have to make choices, and we have to live with the consequences that come with them.

As I said before, I know farmers work hard. I'm not discounting that. But you need to take a reality pill and understand that they're not the only ones who work hard for minimal pay.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 04:12 AM
bamakelly

Jor, honey, you don't have a clue what you are talking about until you have personally worked in a school system. Therefore, as a hard-working teacher who has spent MANY weekends (AND summers, mind you) working, I won't even acknowledge your uninformed arguements. I'll just be glad I nenver had you in my classroom. And I'll remind myself how thankful I am that you don't know what you are talking about firsthand--you'd make a lousy teacher if that's the way you like to generalize. Even the farmers should be offended by you telling everyone what their dietary habits are.

Why are you on a travel board whining about this anyway?

I think the spirit of Jersey's comment is correct: we CHOOSE our professions. Jor, if you are so bitter about gov't employees getting discounts, you have the choice to go be one adn get the discounts yourself. And if anyone chooses to be a government employee (or teacher) simply for the discounts, well, that's a strange reason to be underpaid and overworked, but hey, okay. Either way, we choose our destiny--even the farmers have a choice to become professionals if they don't want to do physical labor. If you are not happy with the choices you or others have made, you are not accomplishing anything by projecting that bitterness onto others.

Meanwhile, thanks clarkgriswold for the tip. I'll start asking for my discount when I travel. Even better, I'll do it shamelessly, remembering the unbelieveable amount of personal funds I pour into my making my classroom more effective each year.

Thanks, Jor! Now that I have analyzed the situation I feel better than ever asking for my discount!

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 04:41 AM

I just want to clarify that in no way do I disparage teaching. It is a different bit of "poison", then nursing. But if you don't love it you are not only making yourself miserable but everyone around you.

I also have to attend conferences where I get little reimbursement. And I don't get to go home if my replacement doesn't show up. It's called abandonment and I would not only lose my job but might face legal ramifications. And if you are sick on Christmas, guess who's not at home but at work to care for you?

So no comments on who works harder, longer, or under worse conditions. We all work hard and sometimes under appalling conditions. I am as proud of my family members who are teachers as I am of my family members who work in the medical community.

And ask for the discounts. We work hard and should be rewarded.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 04:55 AM
GoTravel

Hey! I'm special! Doesn't everyone else realize that?

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 04:57 AM

Yes you are, dear. Yes you are. LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -