Search

Atlantis Submarine

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlantis Submarine

What island is the best to do this on? Does it make a difference? Are they nice tours? Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 09:01 AM

I've only done the one in Maui. You don't see much of anything. It went down on a sandy bottom, no reef, no fish. Maybe the thrill is just being on a sub. Save your money and snorkel.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:55 PM

Runaway and hide from the thought of even wasting your money on the Atlantis. My family did this sub on the BI (I missed it because we were running late and I had to park the car .... couldn't run fast enough from the parking lot to make the sub) and from my wife to my teen to my smallest child (6 years old), they all thought it sucked.

They were sad I didn't make it (I guess misery loves company), but they were happy that I didn't experience the complete waste of time that they did. From my discussions with locals on the BI, they all seemed to think it was the biggest rip off on the islands. Too bad I didn't talk to them ahead of time. The only good thing I can say is that they were kind enough to refund my ticket cost since I missed the trip (which was unexpected). Banish the thought of this sub, and we should all question why the BI Revealed and Frommers both say this is a very good attraction.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 08:40 PM

Speak for yourself. We went on the Big Island and enjoyed it with our small children. We saw lots of fish and a few eels. The most difficult thing is that light and colors are different at the depth the sub dives to.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:14 PM

We just got back from Oahu last week and loved the submarine. We saw lots of fish, huge turtles, and a stingray. Also a scuba diver who was quite surprised. Everyone's different but the three of us enjoyed this, it was really enjoyable since we had been snorkeling the day before and learned more about some of the fish we saw. The tour guide inside the sub was informative and funny.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:15 PM

I agree that everyone is different but me, my husband and 3 young adult children think it totally SUCKED and was the biggest waste of our money of anything we have ever done in Hawaii before! We saw a few small fish, we saw way more snorkelling for free, and we saw an old anchor and a old bomb that never went off! Yipee! We went in the prime of whale season and didnt see one whale period on the sub but they were everywhere else we went!! Even got mugged by one on a boat we went out on. So my advice is save your money and go on a snorkelling or sunset boat trip instead. We were very disappionted is the best I can say to you about the sub. But I could see that very young children might enjoy it if they cant snorkel.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 09:42 AM

The Atlantis submarine on Oahu runs by 2 wrecks off Waikiki - the YO-257 and the San Pedro. I am not positive, but I believe they may have been sunk by the Atlantis company to give the passengers of the submarine something to look at.

The wrecks are now very popular sites for scuba divers, and seeing a bunch of them is not uncommon. I've seen the submarine motoring by on a few occasions while diving one of the wrecks myself, and it is always fun to wave at the passengers. The wrecks also serve the purpose of creating an artificial reef - so you may see rays, turtles, eels and other marine life. However, I'm not sure how close the submarine gets to the wrecks when there's no one diving it - anything you see may be off in the distance a bit.

I took a ride on the submarine more than 10 years ago - I think before the ships were sunk - and all I saw on that was sand.