Atlanta to Charlotte in October

Jul 14th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Atlanta to Charlotte in October

We are going to Charlotte for the Panthers Seahawks game in October, but it was much cheaper for us to fly to Atlanta than Charlotte. We are making a decent holiday out of the trip, so have 3 weeks to see the area. We will finish in Charlotte, with a quick dash back to Atlanta for the flight home.
I'm looking for advice on timings/must see sights. My fledgling plan is a few days in north Georgia en route to Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Cherokee and Ashville/Biltmore are on the list, along with Old Salem and the Outer banks.
It seems we will be going to the scenic areas in the busy season! How much time should we spend on the Smokies and Blue Ridge, and which spots should not be missed? How much time to allow to see the Outer Banks?
We like the great outdoors, although my mobility is restricted a little at the moment, so short hikes only! Scenery and wildlife are top of the list, my husband will enjoy the micro breweries for which Ashville seems a centre, and the wineries will be a bonus for me! Local culture is also important, with a good slice of history. We aren't really interested in art other than sculpture and architecture.
Hope that's enough information for you to be able to help! I've read lots, but its hard to judge, especially how long things will take!
Thanks in advance.
Jul 14th, 2014, 05:06 PM

The Yadkin Valley area of NC on the way to Winston Salem has nice scenery and a growing winery industry.

And while Asheville certainly has its share of great micro breweries, your husband will be pleasantly surprised by the beer revolution going on across the entire state, including Charlotte.
Jul 14th, 2014, 05:15 PM

For history I highly recommend a visit to Old Salem in Winston-Salem. oldsalem.org

For fun, how about stopping in Mt. Airy, the real Mayberry.

Imwould allocate at least three days on the Outer Banks ( personally I would stay longer, Oct is a gorgeous month there). The Blue Ridge is very busy that time of year. You will probably want three to five days.

Enjoy NC!
Jul 14th, 2014, 05:19 PM

Who is "we"? Is this a couple or family trip?
Jul 15th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the replies! Had to look up Mt Airy (and I'm afraid I have no idea who Andy Griffith is...) We - myself and husband - are in our late 50s from sunny Scotland. Never been to this part of the USA before, although have visited several other states over the years. Leaving the family at home. We live by the sea, and love the mountains.
Jul 15th, 2014, 02:51 PM

Moggy, don't worry because you don't know about Mayberry since it was a very mythical place in more ways than one.

I agree that the Outer Banks can be quite wonderful in the Fall and might be a somewhat different sort of beach environment than you are normally used to.