Search

Atlanta Relocation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta Relocation

Our family will be relocating to Georgia from Southern California sometime this summer and I wanted to get some information from others as to where to start. First I am a stay at home mom and my husband works from home but does quite a bit of traveling, so he needs to be within an hour drive of the Atlanta Airport. Housing is not an issue for us as we have alot of equity in our home. We currently reside in a small suburb of Los Angeles with fantastic schools, however it is quite boring (few restaurants, no shopping within 10 miles unless you count Target & Costco). We live in a 4000 square foot home with a 17000 sqare foot lot (sounds small but big for So. Cal) we are close to golf (my husband's outlet) and we are looking for the same. We have a friend from the area that we are moving and he has said that the city of Dacula (Hamilton Mill area) is where we should be looking. Is this a fair assessment of our needs. He has said that Alpharetta is nice but the traffic is quite hectic with one way in and one way out of town. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 10:24 AM

If you don't have to contend with commutes, you can live anywhere you want to live. Your husband will just plan accordingly when he needs to fly out. Whether you are in Dacula or Alpharetta, he will need to be on the road by 6 or 6:30 to get to the airport without sitting in traffic for hours - or wait until mid-day - or early evening.

You are a lucky and rare relocater to Atlanta - you don't have to worry about traffic to and from work and schools.

Peachtree City is SW of the airport and lots of pilots and business travelers and golfers live there. It is a planned community/ town with everything connected by golf cart paths. Consequently, it has the highest golf carts per capita in the entire USA!

I prefer north Fulton County (Alpharetta) to Gwinnett (Hamilton Mill) but there are beautiful communities in each.

With the money you are going to make on your SoCal house, you will be able to live like royalty. I'm not a fan of them, but you can easily buy in any of the gated, golf course communities in the northern arc of Atlanta.

If I were in your position, I would buy a smaller house in the Atlanta area and then buy a lake house on Lake Burton or Rabun in the North GA mountains. If you are interested at all, I know a great realtor in that area who is very honest and great to work with.

And, if you DO buy a mountain lake house....will you adopt me?... let me house sit, pet sit, baby sit, plant sit, etc. etc. etc.???????
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Starrsville. Why do you prefer N Fulton County to Gwinnett?
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Hi Tracey! Gwinnett is more "country/suburban" and Alpharetta/North Fulton is more "yuppi/suburban" although there is quite a lot of money to be seen in Gwinnett also. Dacula is very suburban and quite rural in places and there is great appreciation to be had on land there. It's growing. You might like Suwanee/Flowery Branch or even Cumming (these are both in Gwinnett and Forsyth counties) because I'm positive there is golfing and it's close to Lake Lanier (largest man-made lake in the world). I personally will be buying a home soon in Braselton - which is a little further north (just north of Gwinnett county) and would add 10-15 minutes to airport drive (nothing here in this city) and is home to Chateau Elan winery and golf course. Area is growing fast but far enough removed to still enjoy nature/slower pace. Minutes away from Mall of Georgia area in Buford, Gwinnett County. Let me know if you need more info. I've been house hunting here (but I already live here) so I might be able to further help you too - at least give you an honest opinion which is not always what you get when you house hunt on the net.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Tracey,
The answer to your last question is mainly based on schools. While there are some VERY good school clusters in Gwinnett, there has been a downward trend in Gwinnett County in recent years - paralleling what happened in DeKalb County a couple of decades ago. The schools in north Fulton and Forsyth are more "stabilized" if you will. You said you are coming from a small suburb of LA with "fantastic" schools.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 02:23 PM

Atlanta magazine recently had a cover story on the best schools in Atlanta. The lists of top schools in each category included specific private and public schools. You may want to research that. I'll check to see if I still have the issue somewhere.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 03:22 PM

I would pick the north Fulton area or the Peachtree City if I was relocating here (I live in Atl). Those areas are very family friendly with lots of activities for kids. The schools are good. More shopping and restaurants in north Fulton than Peachtree City. Many corporate transfers settle in those areas so your neighbors would be also be transplants.

Haven't been to Dacula lately, perhaps it is "suburbanizing" . However, as a native Chicagoan, I think I would experience culture shock moving there, and I've lived in Atlanta for 20 years.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 03:33 PM

We live in Gwinnett County; the schools in the northern half of Gwinnett county are very good, but I wouldn't really want to send my kids to the schools in the more southern half.

We're about 45 miles away from the airport (which can be 40 minutes or 2 hours, depending on traffic/time of day.

We're close to several malls and really have no need to go down into Atlanta except for sports events and some doctor appointments.

My husband drives to the airport quite a bit, and he says it's not a bad drive.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:09 PM

Hi,
I am a teacher and G-d willing will be a parent. My husband and I are looking to buy a bigger place in the very near future. We are living in Sandy Springs (N Fulton)and will be looking in East Cobb Co., N. Fulton Co... IMO schools are very good in these areas and we prefer it to Gwinnett Co..Property taxes are higher in Fulton than either Cobb or Gwinnett. We find it to be a middle/upper middle class area with lots of educated professionals like ourselves.

I can't speak about Dacula b/c I've really never spent time there but I do know it's a growing area as is all of the northern part of Gwinnett (or is it Hall County).

Good luck!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:12 PM

PS It takes us about 40min. to the airport w/o traffic, about an hour with...
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 12:09 AM

I grew up in Atlanta. Would not (voluntarily) move to Dacula (accent on 2nd syllable). It's rural/"suburan" without the advantage of being near a city. North Fulton, e.g., Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Roswell, or east Cobb, Marietta, have very good public schools and alternatives. Plenty of golf (public and private) and upscale shopping and dining available.

I saw 5000 square foot houses described as "mansions" (more like houseboats during the rains) when I was in So. California last month. Four thousand s.f. is a good size house in Atlanta suburbs. And, while houses are somewhat less expensive in Atlanta (depending on location, as always), close in new construction is on SoCal size lots. You'll find plenty of opportunities to reinvest your equity.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 07:35 AM

what about living "intown?" i grew up in atlanta, but haven't lived there for 15 years (and hope to return!). i know they are considered pricey, but neighborhoods like fernbank, druid hills, emory, virginia-highlands, and morningside are, to me, the "real" atlanta.

at the right time, you can get to and from the airport in about 30 min.!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 12:14 PM

You are so going to love it here! My husband and I came down 16 mos ago from NH. We settled in Alpharetta, and it is the only place to be. Johns Creek area of Alpharetta has the best school in the state I'm told (we have no kids). There are golf courses galore, plenty of restaurants, plenty of arts, plenty of everything to keep you and the family busy. The only thing you can do is to come to GA for a few days to get the lay of the land and check out the areas. Your husband's commute to the airport is easily done on MARTA (commuter train), with easy access off GA 400 (one of the big three routes here) -- MARTA station closest to Alpharetta is less than 10 miles and he'd be in the airport in approx 35-45 mins. North Fulton County/Alpharetta and Forsyth County/Cumming are areas that are growing by leaps and bounds. You want a house? - your head will spin with choices. You just really need to see the area for yourself to understand what you're getting into! And best of luck. You're going to love it.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 12:35 PM

I think the trip to the airport from Alpharetta via MARTA would be more like an 1 1/2 trip. It takes 45 minutes on the train from the North Springs station (assuming you immediately catch the train), and it would take about 25 to 30 minutes drive time from the Johns Creek area of Alpharetta, assuming there's not bad traffic. So, facor that in. Traffic, unfortunately, is the biggest drawback to the North Fulton area of Atlanta.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 02:22 PM

Have you considered Dunwoody? It is an established suburb that isn't as far out as Gwinnett Co. It is technically DeKalb Co. but it borders Fulton.

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:51 PM

I've lived in several areas in Atlanta and many of them have been mentioned here. Since housing costs are not an issue, you can have your pick of places to live.

I grew up in Fayette County, where Peachtree City is located. It is a golf lovers' paradise and your husband would be in heaven. It was one of the first planned communities back in the 60s and kept growing. The place has golfcart paths all through it. Very family-oriented and great schools, too. You can even drive your golfcart to Kroger or Publix. The airport is a straight 25-minute shot up I-85.

East Cobb is a place I really like, although the traffic is worse. My former roommate lives and teaches there. The schools and opportunities for kids are awesome. Plenty of shopping,too. Plenty of golf around, too. I think it would take you an hour to get to the airport.

Someone mentioned Dunwoody and I enjoyed living there, too. It's near MARTA so your husband could catch the train to the airport easily. Would take about 50 minutes. Good schools and nice neighborhoods. Perimeter Mall has some of the best shopping in the city.

I lived in Alpharetta and the growth has been phenomenal. However, traffic on 400 is just bananas. I couldn't live there again with my job downtown. But it is a great place for families, tons of new housing. Northpoint Mall is great.

Dacula is just starting to get some development but it is well and truly out in the country at this point. That doesn't mean it is bad but you had said you find your current area boring and I think you'd find Dacula to be that way since shopping is rather sparse. Dacula is also a bit more than an hour from the airport.

Good luck!
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:33 PM

In town (inside Atlanta) neighborhoods to consider:
1) Druid Hills (near Emory University)
Housing price range high 700s - mid 1m
2) Virginia Highlands
3) Morningside

Private schools may be a consideration.

Outside of Atlanta
1) Duluth, GA (Simpson elementary top notch)
Golf community may be good. Country Club of the South is one that comes to mind. Expand radius of search from there.

www.jennypruitt.com can search by neighborhoods...

Old May 27th, 2005, 06:57 AM

I'm a realtor with Jenny Pruitt.

In town, you can aim for the Sarah Smith school district. This is the Buckhead/Brookhaven area. I'm not sure of your budget, but this area would be ideal for you.

After that, the Alpharetta area would also fit your needs. I commute daily into the city from there and it is not as bad as people make it out to be. If there is an accident at rush hour then it's bad, but any other major city has the same thing.

Old May 31st, 2005, 12:19 PM

Another vote for living in town, specifically Druid Hills.

Druid Hills has very good public schools, but if you're really concerned about school you'll probably consider private no matter where you live in Georgia. Housing very pricey, but given the market you're leaving you should be able to afford it. Quiet residential area, but close to Emory University as well as trendy mixed residential/commercial neighborhoods like Virginia Highland and Inman Park. Great restaurants, shopping, etc.

Druid Hills Golf Club is an established private club, the only one intown with a full 18 hole course. Living in the neighborhood does not entitle you to play there, you join separately.

Very easy trip to the airport, either by car (20 minutes from my house) or by MARTA (trip time depends on time of day/frequency of trains, but the train takes you directly into the airport so there's no time lost parking, etc.).
Old May 31st, 2005, 01:43 PM

With all due respect, I disagree with the statement " you'll probably consider private no matter where you live in Georgia".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -