Atlanta Priceline Help

Jan 5th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Atlanta Priceline Help

Dear Dad (and other Fodorites who visit Atlanta more often),

I wanted to stay in a high-rise hotel, and living so close to a big city, it seems the obvious choice is a getaway in ritzy Hotlanta.

The four star hotels in Buckhead and downtown are GORGEOUS but way out of my budget. Mom suggested priceline (so long as I asked for help from you).

Has anyone bidded in these neighborhoods on priceline before? How much did you bid? What did you get? I'm a terrified of making a mistake on priceline but also super intrigued by the idea of staying in a place that I otherwise could never afford. But I don't know... I've never done this before.

(Some details: we've only got 2 people and any bed arrangement works and I can handle a smoking room if necessary, I just would like to stay in a hotel with more than 4 floors, even if I'm on the 2nd floor, since they don't have those in the county I live in in South Carolina)

Thanks in advance for all help,
Kelsey

Jan 5th, 2005, 10:33 PM

Go to biddingfortravel.com, there you will find all the information you will need. If you fill out a bid assistance form (located in the hotel FAQ) the moderators will help you. Be sure to understand the concept of free rebidding, it is the most mportant piece of info when using Priceline. Good luck
Jan 6th, 2005, 03:14 AM
iceeu2

Definitely go to biddingfortravel.com
You will likely get the Grand Hyatt or JW Marriott. Depending on your dates and their rates at the time, I have seen people get them for as $60/night. Have fun...lots of great dining in that area also.

Jan 6th, 2005, 04:24 AM
rex

Kelsey:

(to others reading this, yes, I am Kelsey's dad) - - even though I have already replied to your e-mail to me, late last night, and will probably talk to you by phone this morning - - there is some additional info that might influence the advice that others have to give.

Yes, certainly, biddingfortravel.com is an essential resource in knowing how to bid - - but I have NO actual experience with these two factors:

1. You didn't mention that this is only EIGHT DAYS from NOW that you want to stay there. I think you need to bid THIS morning, to succeed. And perhaps multiple attempts by multiple family members (since we could pay this for you), to improve your chances.

and...

2. This is MLKjr birthday weekend, you are talking about. Perhaps others who know Atlanta best can address how/whether this should impact your choices/desrired location(s) and bidding - - and maybe special events/restaurants, etc? (as well as to AVOID).

Sincerely appreciate the help and input of all others who have info to share with you...

Best wishes,

Rex
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:07 AM

Since MLK weekend is a 3 day weekend for many Atlantans (schools closed on Monday), some people (like me!) travel to other places. You shouldn't have a problem with getting in restaurants or crowds, except near the King Center.
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:42 AM

Priceline rooms are ones that hotels release because they think they can't sell them any other way, so the odds of getting a room close to your travel date can actually improve, due to cancellations etc

On biddingfortravel.com, you can learn about "Free rebids." When PL rejects a bid, you have to wait 72 hours before making the SAME bid again, but you can rebid if you make any changes in your bid (other than just increasing the amount), including changing the dates (including dropping from 3 days to 2) or adding PL Zones. You're allowed to add zones that don't even have the quality of hotel you're looking for, so if you want a 4-star hotel, you can re-bid as may times a there are zones that don't have 4-star hotels. (BFT explains this better than I can.)
Jan 6th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Hello! I just want to encourage you to try priceline. I stayed in Atlanta at the Hyatt in Buckhead just last week for $65.00. My husband did the bidding for this trip, but I believe he bid a few weeks before we left. However, there have been some other times when we've used priceline (in other cities) and just bid about a week or so before we wanted to stay. Back to Atlanta, he only put a bid in for a 4 star in the Buckhead area b/c we knew from reading biddingfortravel that we'd probably win.

The Hyatt is really nice! We were on the 6th floor, so they do have more than 4 floors! The room was really clean, pretty, and big, as was the bathroom. I'd be happy to stay there again. The Buckhead area is great too. Good luck with your bidding and have a great trip!
Jan 7th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Dear Everyone,
Thanks for the help. I did a get a room in Atlanta but now I have a different question. Does anyone know a fun place to go out to eat in Atlanta? Something fun or unique about the place would be better than something fancy just because it is expensive. Thanks in advance
Jan 8th, 2005, 01:57 AM

Dear Rex's kid,
What hotel did you get? Will you have a car (am assuming that's a yes since you're coming from SC but just want to double check) and tell us what kinds of food you like.

Two unique places that come to mind are: Cafe Tu Tu Tango (tapas, cool atmosphere) in Buckhead and The Imperial Fez (Moroccan/Middle Eastern--not cheap but different) in Midtown. I live in Atlanta and can come up w/more suggestions, just give me some direction, price range, etc.

You can also get ideas from accessatlanta.com

Have fun! I don't think coming MLK w/e will be any big deal except around the King Center as padams mentioned.

OWJ

PS To anyone whose bid was rejected by priceline and consequently shut out from rebidding...go into your computer and clean out your cookies and then try again. It's using the cookies to recognize you. We've tricked it and were able to rebid w/o waiting a couple of days this way

Search this Thread