Atlanta next week with 6 and 8 yr old boys

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2010, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived in Atlanta for years, but it's been 12 years and I didn't have kids then. We are going to stay with friends (husband will be at conference) who live off Rosewell Road in Buckhead and I want to see the City as a tourist. My kids are game! Last New Year's we went and saw the Aquarium, Centennial Park and the High (Terra Cotta Warriors). We also walked extensively through Piedmont Park and the Highlands and we took a day trip to Serenbe (our old haunts) Some things I have in mind (but would love feedback on):

1) Atlanta History Center - which I never toured in my 7 yrs there
2) DeKalb Farmer's Market - did last time too
3) Stone Mtn with my friend and her kids
4) Fernbank?
5) Michael Carlos - may be too heavy
6) cool neighborhoods for walking / eating
7) there used to be a cool coffee shop called Virginia's (I think) that was owned by a Dutch couple - my kids are half Dutch and we'd love it if it were still there. Anyone know?

Would love to do some African American history touring but afraid to say I don't know what is even offered. Music? The last time I went to Little 5 points it was still a bit too edgy but am sure it's not now. WOuld love to tour some other cool downtown neighborhoods. Also, since the kids eat anything, and we now live in Williamsburg, Va (which is a virtual black hole of diversity) we'd love to try out some cool ethnic restaurants. Any ideas welcome. We're looking forward to going back to this great city - and to really exploring again as visitors. THANKS!!!
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 05:27 PM

The World of Coca Cola gets great reviews.

Martin Luther King's grave is as relevant African American history as I can imagine.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 05:41 PM

I lived in Atlanta all my life until 1996, and love to play tourist when I go back home.

Some things my children loved:
Atlanta Zoo and Grant Park
The Cyclorama (at Grant Park)
Kennesaw Mountain
Stone Mountain
Planetarium at Fernbank(They also liked to go at night when the telescope would be open to the public)
Ebenzer Baptist Church and the birthplace of MLK

I'm sorry that I can't help you on places to eat, but I am sure someone else will chime it. That is one of the major things we miss, we too are in the black hole of restaurants here in Michigan.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 05:44 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Neat neighborhoods for walking - use this as a starting point. The tours don't start back up until March, but it highlights the interesting neighborhoods

http://www.preserveatlanta.com/walkingtours.htm

The boys may enjoy the tour of the Fox theatre. And, if not, it only lasts an hour.

Fernbank (the big one) would be great for the boys.
http://www.fernbankmuseum.org/
Fernbank (the small one, across from Fernbank Elem) may be too, especially if they want/need to run some energy off in the woods
http://www.fernbank.edu/

The Oakhurst Community Garden often has great kids classes/ events. If next week = Sat the 13th, they may enjoy the "Love the Birds" workshop
http://www.oakhurstgarden.org/classes.html#children

Stone Mountain is always a good choice. You could take the cable car up and down, or walk the trail up the mountain. Pics taken on the mountain are always so great for memory-making.

You mentioned the DeKalb Farmer's Market. Don't know if you've been to the Sweet Auburn Curb Market -
http://www.sweetauburncurbmarket.com/

It's close to the King Center -
http://www.thekingcenter.org/
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Stumpworks - thanks for the MLK tip. Just printed out info on the MLK National Historic Site.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

These are fabulous tips - thanks so much! Can't wait to start doing research ...
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 07:37 PM

Will definitely second the World of Coca Cola for kids, as well as the Cyclorama and Stone Mountain. The Martin Luther King complex area is also excellent -- you can tour King's birth house, see a Civil Rights Museum, and visit the tomb of King and his wife; the Ebeneezer Baptist Church was undergoing renovation when I was there, but may be open now.

The Michael Carlos Museum is very good, but doesn't strike me as a kid-oriented place unless your kids are big on pre-Columbian art, Asian artifacts, and African native art.

You might also consider going on the CNN Tour or visiting the state capitol building, which has some local history displays, dioramas, and similar things on its top floor. Have not been to any of these, but am seeing listings in Atlanta for the Fernbank Museum of Natural History, Fernbank Science Center, The Center for Puppetry Arts, Six Flags Over Georgia, or Imagine It! Children's Museum of Atlanta -- they might be worth looking into for kid oriented visits.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 07:51 PM

Starrs, thanks for pointing out the Sweet Auburn Market. Looks like a good place for a snack after going to MLK. Perfect for my trip to Altanta next week.