Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Atlanta Marriott Marquis or Westin peachtree Plaza!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2000, 07:15 AM
Marie

I will be going to Atlanta very soon and I needed to know between those 2 hotels which one you would recommend? Atlanta Marriot Marquis or Westin Peachtreet plaza Also another question I read how dangerous it is in Atlanta Downtown at night I was wondering if the location of these 2 hotels are in a safe area! or should i consider to stay in another location thanks

Old Mar 29th, 2000, 05:07 PM
Don

Unless you are attending a convention downtown, there is absolutely no reason to stay there. It is very dicey, and other than a Hard Rock Cafe and a handful of other restaurants nearby, there is not a whole lot to do, and there is ZERO ambiance or character. Forget staying downtown.

You'd be much better off staying in Buckhead. The accomodations should be similarly priced, and there are endless shopping, dining, and nightspotting choices a short cab ride away. Driving or taking MARTA downtown isn't much of a problem.

From your e-mail address, it looks like you're from Canada. I am presently debating/tentatively planning a trip to either Toronto or Montreal/Quebec City. Any factors that I should consider??

Old Mar 30th, 2000, 05:07 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I'd disagree with Don that that area is "very dicey", especially during reasonable hours when there will be other tourists and conventioneers around, but he's absolutely right that there's not much to do downtown. In fact, you probably wouldn't even be out much after dinner.

You will see a few homeless and hustlers around (whether day or night) so if that bothers you, take Don's advice and stay in Buckhead (it's about a 20-minute ride on the train).

Between the 2 hotels, I'd slightly lean toward the Marriot, but would probably stay in whichever one is closest to your event (they're about 3 blocks from one another).

Old Mar 30th, 2000, 06:14 PM
Cyndy

I also disagree with Don. We just spent 4 days in Atlanta downtown, and while my husband attended a conference I took in the sights downtown, walked around to numerous places, and felt very comfortable doing so and didn't feel it was "dicey" at all. Lots of business people about during the day. The only place I felt slightly uncomfortable was at 5 points near the Underground. We stayed at the Marquis, and it's very much a convention hotel, but we had a very pleasant stay. The rooms were average but clean. Service was good throughout (except valet parking was very unorganized), it has several restaurants within it. We particularly enjoyed The Champions Sports Bar. Actually very good food. The Atrium express also had good lunch food. Great indoor/outdoor pool (heated), and the view in the lobby looking up towards the 47 floors is incredible. We did venture out to Buckhead each night for dinner and nightlfe. Seemed to have some nice hotels around. I've never stayed at the Westin, so cannot offer opinion there. Good luck!

Old Mar 31st, 2000, 04:34 AM
Don

Key words= reasonable hours, during the day. Since much of your leisure time on a vacation, and all of it at a convention, are spent at night, I stand by my original statement.

Old Mar 31st, 2000, 06:26 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Marie sent me an e-mail with more details, but I thought I'd respond here for everyone's benefit.

Marie will be attending a concert at Philips Arena in downtown. I'll assume it's at night and that, to Don's point, it will get out at later than a "reasonable" hour. You may not feel comfortable walking back to your hotel that late if you stay downtown (or you could take the subway one stop and exit directly into the Westin (or a 2-block walk to the Marriot).

That said, if you're coming on vacation and are just going downtown for one event, I'd take Don's advice and stay in Buckhead. That way you can enjoy the shopping/restaurants/nightlife of Buckhead and simply hop on the train (MARTA) and be at Philips Arena in about 20 minutes. Try the Embassy Suites on Peachtree.

Old Mar 31st, 2000, 05:53 PM
Marie

Thanks everybody. I will definitely look into something in Buckhead. As for your question Don I will definitely go for Montreal which is a beautiful city. There is great restaurants, coffeeshops, nice places to shop, you will also enjoy the nightlife. As for Toronto I've been there for a week-end it is a great city, interesting things to do.But my only complaint is things close very early in some places so it doesn't give you much chance to explore the nightlife.