Search

atlanta hotels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 12:23 PM
mike

atlanta hotels

Has anyone ever stayed at the Quality Hotel on Luckie St. in Atlanta? I have reservations there in March and I can't seem to find out too much about this hotel other than it has a two star rating . It seems like it is a very convenient location and the price is reasonable, but is it clean? I think it is an old hotel. Any help will be appreciated!

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 12:37 PM
d.embody

Luckie Street is located in a very bad area of Atlanta. I would not recommend it. If the two stars the hotel recieved is out of AAA, it can be below standard. You're usually better off staying in a 3 star hotel. Hope you have a nice trip.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 07:52 PM
Jason

This is in downtown. It is safe during the day, but I would not walk around the area at night. You are better off staying in Midtown or Buckhead. These areas are pretty safe day and night. And downtown doesn't have much to offer after dark. All of the restaurants, bars, etc. are north in Midtown and Buckhead.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 06:03 AM
roadtripper

I would change your reservation to a Buckhead hotel. Even Midtown is a stretch, if you want to go out after dark. In Buckhead there are lots of things to do for every taste, and usually within walking distance.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 06:17 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Jason is much more on the mark than d.embody. This area is not "dangerous" just void of much to do after dark.

Mike, is there a reason you need to be downtown? As others have mentioned, Midtown or Buckhead are better for tourists depending on your tastes.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 07:36 AM
T.M.

I agree that Midtown is not unsafe after dark. Just not overflowing with nightlife. However, Crescent Street (off 14th) has the upscale Martini Bar, Vickery's, Front Page News, and some other good restaurants. And the restaurants on Juniper (Einstein's and Joe's on Juniper) are also very good. I work in this area and there are some excellent hotels.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 07:37 AM
John

How about the Sheraton Colony Square in midtown? I usually get really reasonable rates at this property.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 12:04 PM
mike

Thanks for the advice! If you stay in Buckhead is it a hassle to get back & forth to downtown on MARTA?

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 12:14 PM
J T Kirk

How many nights are you going to be in Atlanta? MARTA is two things: buses, and a train. There are three stations in the Buckhead area: Lenox (which is, literally, right next to a huge shopping mall and close to at least 5 hotels, most of which are upscale. The Ritz, JW Marriott and Swissotel), Buckhead/Financial District (which actually is close to Lenox) and Lindberg (which is the station closest to town, but sort of out of the mainstream of "true" Buckhead). Where the nightlife is in Buckhead would require a hike (or a cab ride) to any of the train stations. Now, buses on the other hand run all the time through all parts of Buckhead.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Don

Mike, Check out http://www.BiddingForTravel.com. On Priceline, 3* hotels in Buckhead come up pretty consistently for about $30/night, while 4* hotels in Buckhead come up for $70 and up.

Don't know what the price is for your 2* hotel, but maybe Priceline can help you find a better hotel for the same price in Buckhead. (That's assuming the responses here make you want to consider staying in Buckhead.)

If you want to use Priceline, see the Hotel FAQs on BiddingForTravel.com for info on how to bid to maximize your chances of a successful bid without overpaying.

Usual disclaimers apply--no vested interest in your using Priceline or the Web site mentioned above, you can't pick a specific hotel on Priceline (just a star-level and a zone in the city), yadda, yadda.

Hope you have a good time in Atlanta!