atlanta hot spots in midtown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staying in ATL midtown for one saturday night. I am mid-30's female and will have female friend (we are straight!).

Need recommendations on a cool/hip/fun restaurant to start at; then clubs to go to afterward. I know there are tons in that area but I want to go where the 30-somethings are.......

My friend likes dance clubs; I like taverns; so I'd like recommendations for both.

I've heard 'Shout' may be a good restaurant........but I know trends change......

Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 11:57 AM

There are waaaay better restaurants in midtown than Shout. Ecco is a new-ish place...tasty menu and trendy place with outdoor seating. Other good ones are: One Midtown Kitchen, Trois, Mitra, Loca Luna (very cool place w/ tapas menu, live Latin music), Spice..I could go on and on.

Can't help much on clubs now that I am married , but I too prefer bars/taverns to dance clubs. Cosmo-Lava has always been a favorite of mine, but may not be a "hot spot" these days. It is huge with different room..some dancing, some lounge. Basically, there are lots of places to go along Crescent Ave, but as you said the trends are constantly changing.

Have fun!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:41 PM

That area will be packed all weekend. Tons of cool/hip/fun restaurants in Midtown. Midtown has become the "it" neighborhood in Atlanta. Vortex or Wet Bar for dancing. Several good restaurants on Juniper near 5th (including two that sessa just recommended) so one idea is to just walk Juniper toward 5th and see what looks good to you - OR, what's not too crowded. It will be PACKED - the big parade is on Sunday afternoon. Where are you staying?
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Trois fits the bill of cool/hip/fun restaurant and bar. It is not a dance club, but one of Atlanta's best for atmosphere and creative food that is actually reasonably priced. Have fun!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

I am now thinking we'll try Ecco or Trois.........I guess we're looking for a good people-watching restaurant.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

As for nightclubs.......the wetbar looks like it might be alittle geared toward the 'not straight' crowd for that particular weekend. I wondered if anyone knew about the Sutra Lounge or Lava Lounge; I heard something about a place called 'opera' ?? Seems there are a lot of places around that area.....

Does anyone know how people dress? I've heard Atlanta is more casual than say, NY or Chicago.......we're from Florida (not Miami) so we're used to dressy jeans and heels but not super dressed up.........just wondering if jeans were inappropriate for midtown clubs.

Thanks to all for your help.

Oh, we're staying at the Regency Suites at West Peachtree and 10th.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Ecco and Trois will be good for people watching. The food is great, too! Lava Lounge us fun, and you will be fine in dressy jeans and cute tops.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Which weekend? As long as its not the upcoming weekend, your plans will be fine. For some reason I got it in my head that you were going to be here next weekend. Sorry.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Ok we'll try Lava I think.....
Thanks so much for the tips!

And yes we are coming during PRIDE weekend. We are straight; and hopefully we won't be the only straight people down there that weekend!! I didn't know it was Pride weekend when we scheduled our stay. We can have fun with anyone so I'm sure we'll still have a blast.

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Julie, you will be in the midst of Pride festivities. It's great that you're okay with that, but a bit unrealistic that you think you'll find a straight environment that weekend. Walk a block from your hotel and you're on the parade route at 10th and Peachtree.

No one will care if you are straight, gay, purple or green (ha! inside joke there) but head west to Atlantic Station or north to Buckhead if you want a bit more "non gay" choices. Or, just wade into the fun at Midtown and enjoy yourself!
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Starrsville. I think you're right. We are okay with that crowd......but midtown might be better for us on another weekend. I am going to look into a Buckhead area hotel.
Any thoughts?

Maybe eat at Twist or Taurus?
Beluga for martini's?

Thanks ya'll.
Julie
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 05:07 AM

I lived in Midtown for 10 years (ending in 2003) and never found Pride weekend to be a big deal except in Piedmont Park during the day (parking was tough) and on Sunday during the parade. The straight locals didn't lock themselves indoors and avoid going out. Most of us even enjoyed the festivities in the Park and at the Parade.

Now Freaknik, that was another story.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 06:04 AM

I would still recommend staying in Midtown. Brian is right--it's not like all the straight people are going to vanish because it's Pride weekend. It will be crowded for sure, but Buckhead (especially the bar area) is not what it used to be...
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Just an trip report in case any of you are wondering.

Ended up staying in Midtown at the Sheraton.......inexpensive but good location.

Ate at Twist (food was okay, had tapas, service and atmosphere were above average) b/c Eclipse di Luna was booked up by the time I changed our plans.

Had a drink at Tavern at Phipps; a martini at Beluga. Finished the night at TOngue and Groove (upon invitation from people we had met). T and G was definitely a younger crowd but we had a good time and did a little dancing.

I am saving ALL the recommendations for midtown; as I hope to be coming back to ATL soon and will do midtown then!!! (Though I am kinda sad I missed the parade,etc........and I'm sure we would have fun in either place.)

Thanks to all of you for your help!!!

Julie
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Julie, I'm confused. You were at the Sheraton at Midtown or Buckhead? My best friend lives within a couple of blocks from Beluga and I asked about it as we drove past on Thursday. Didn't get a "wow" impression.

Midtown is great. Come back and enjoy it. Strip (a sister restaurant to Twist and Shout) in Atlantic Station is pretty good.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

OOPS. Sheraton in Buckhead.

NEXT time going to stay in Midtown!!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Well, the Sheraton in Midtown is closed until 2009 now to become a W hotel. Last weekend was their last weekend.

But, next time DO stay in Midtown - just don't choose a certain weekend in June if you don't want a predominantly gay clientele in Midtown.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Haha.
Thanks!

I'll do that