Aston Keauhou?

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 03:26 PM
Ingrid

Aston Keauhou?

My husband & I are wanting to stay in the Kona region of Hawaii but are having trouble finding a reasonably priced hotel that doesn't have a bad reputation as far as cleanliness. We have heard (through this forum as well as others) that individuals have had some very unpleasant visits at Kona Surf Resort & Royal Kona Resort. We have read a few favorable reports about Aston Keauhou Beach Resort. Before we make our final plans, I was hoping for some feedback from this forum about which of these you would go with? We know all of these establishments are on the old side but we can live with that as long as the rooms are clean. Thanks-

Ingrid

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 08:41 PM
Kim

I haven't stayed at any of the hotels (I live here so don't need to) I can tell you that the Aston was renevated 1 year ago (I think) and is supposed to be a lot better now. Kona Surf is on the older side - needs renevating to get rid of the 70's style in the lobby but I hear prices are reasonable. They have an area to see manta rays but you can do that even if you don't stay there. Royal Kona has a luau that is okay but I liked the one at King Kam hotel better (only 2 I have been to). The food there is ok. King Kam has a nice little beach and lobby area is ok. My fiance's old work used to put people up there when they came in from WA. It is closer walking distance to downtown then the other hotels. Their seafood buffet is pretty good. Sorry I can't give you more info on the rooms.

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 05:29 AM
steve

Aloha,

Just stayed at the Keauhou Beach in March. Had stayed there about 4 year ago - it was horrible and beyond the description of dirty. Today I'm pleased to say in one word - great. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Have a great vacation!

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 07:07 AM
Maxine

We also reserved the Aston Keauhou at the Big Island for 4 days. We cannot decide if we should save the money (1/2 price with Entertainment card) and stay at the Aston Keauhou or splurge a little and stay at the Hilton Waikoloa. When I called to price out the Hilton Waikoloa, they were offering a stay 3 nights and get the 4th night free. For the lowest price room (garden view), it comes out to about $188 per night. Is the Hilton Waikoloa an amazing hotel that we should not miss and is worth it? Or is the Aston Keauhou nice enough? We don't need to be in the fanciest place but we also don't want to miss out on an opportunity to stay in a spectacular resort. Is it really worth it? Thanks.

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 08:46 AM
Lani

Maxine,

I'd definitely go for the Hilton Waikoloa at $188/night!!!! It is Disneyesque and manmade, but fabulous, and that price is great! Just be sure to also visit "A" Bay down the street behind the Outrigger Waikoloa - a movie-set, wonderful beach within walking distance of the Hilton, and you will have the best of both worlds! A wonderful area! Have a great time!

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 11:10 PM
Diane M

Ingrid, my husband and I stayed at the Keauhou Beach Hotel three times before Aston bought and renovated it. We loved it there. It was so peaceful and quiet. The cleaning people and waiters were very friendly, and we never had a dirty room. We loved eating breakfast overlooking the pool. It's next door to the best snorkeling beach on the island. We were disappointed when it shut down for a year because we knew it would go up in price when they reopened. We got a $99/night deal that included breakfast and car. It was great! We really like being close to Kailua-Kona, where you have a variety of restaurants without having to drive very far.

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 12:05 AM
Becky

Where did you find that great deal on the Hilton Waikoloa? The lowest price I've found so far is thru the Hilton Worldwide reservations, and it's higher than that $188/ night average price. So please, tell us your source for that great price. mahalo!

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 08:26 PM
kenang

Becky,
I asked them for any special deals they presently have. If you charge on an AMEX card, they are offering a "stay 3 nights, and get the 4th night free". With the lowest room @ $225, it comes out to $168 per night. I just received something from my Delta Skymiles and they also have a promotion for a "stay 2 nights, and get the 3rd night free". I am not sure but they may also have other deals if you are a AAA member, etc... The key is to ask. They never volunteer the promotions willingly.

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 11:09 AM
Ingrid

Hello again!

I just wanted to take a moment to thank Steve, Diane, & everyone else for your valuable advice. We have decided to go with the Aston Keauhou & thanks to Maxine's post, we ended up using our Entertainment Card & now have a partial ocean view room for only $85 per night! We hadn't even thought to check that out, since this particular hotel wasn't mentioned in the Entertainment Book's listings. Thanks everyone for all of your helpful comments!

Ingrid