Aspen or Vail/BC for memorial day?

Old May 16th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aspen or Vail/BC for memorial day?

Hi - Which would you recommend for a weekend for a couple looking for a charming town, a little bit of a splurge on the hotel I noticed the prices for a couple of the 5-stars like the BC Hyatt are great for this time of year), good food/laid back spots for some music and drinks at night, as well as some outdoor activities during the day? We enjoy hiking and biking but I'm not sure if that's possible in Colorado in late May, or if the weather is still iffy? We'll be driving in from Denver on the Thursday for about 3 days.
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:07 AM
mrt

Aspen is more interesting than Vail but it is farther. It takes about 2.5 hours +/- from Denver to vail and about 3.5 to 4 hours to Aspen, depending on your route and driving habits. Aspen is a real town. vail is a ski resort with a village area.
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Aspen! Great restaurants, plenty of expensive hotels if that's what you want. Lots of hiking nearby, trails along rivers, parks, (not sure about live Music in May, look at an Aspen website www.aspensnowmass.com), bike rentals right in town. Yes, it's further than Vail which might not be worth your time given your short 3 days, but it's worth it. We've been there 8 yrs. in a row over Labor Day weekend (hubby volleyball tournament), and I never get tired of it. If you do go, and if Maroon Bells is accessible in May, do go there to hike and enjoy the beauty! I envy your decision!

Stephanie
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 12:34 PM

As someone who lives in the area, I'd agree with the others and say come to Aspen, it's a great little town. The road to the Maroon Bells is now open, they are some of the most photographed peaks in the country!
If you are looking for a vacation rental while you are here, check these guys out (www.aspenlandandhomes.com, they usually have some pretty great places available.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 11:07 AM

My husband and I just returned from our first summer trip to Aspen. It was fantastic! We were really blown away by the beauty--so green and lush with mountains at every turn. And the town is so cute and quaint and very upscale. Our trip was brief with only two full days, but we went on a wonderful hike, rode the gondola up to the top of the mountain, and went horseback riding too. The shopping is great -- pretty pricey but there were sales going on everywhere. There are also great restaurants, a highlight for us was Matsuhisa. There are some wonderful hotels, too, including the Grand Hyatt where we were lucky enough to stay.