Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ashland -- what else to do besides Shakespeare Festival?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are four women ages 55 - 79, considering a trip from Chicago to Ashland for the Shakespeare Festival, but we want to make sure there is enough to keep us busy during the day. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Laurie
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM

You could do a day trip up to Crater Lake, and another one to historic Jacksonville. There are also jet boat trips on the Rogue River available from Grants Pass, north of Ashland (most of the trips are suitable for all ages).
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM

You could shop and go to lunch and, if you had a car, you could explore.

Jacksonville is a pleasant little town. Other points of interest not far from Ashland include Crater Lake, the Oregon Ice Caves, Mount Shasta, the Oregon Coast, and the Redwoods.

HTTY
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 03:17 PM

The previous mentioned jet boat trips are fun. Also there are several wineries for wine tasting in the Medford/Jacksonville/Rouge River area.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 03:36 PM

AAA's Magazine "Via" just had an article about Ashland. You might want to take a look: http://www.viamagazine.com/top_stori.../ashland06.asp
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 03:41 PM

We went garage saleing one Saturday morning, and found some really strange and wonderful junk on sale from some really strange and wonderful people. Got the local papers, looked at bulletin boards and used our GPS to find the places.

Had a wonderful time!

Oh, and I dimly remember some plays. The garage sales were more fun, though.

Old Feb 20th, 2010, 04:59 PM

The garage sales were more fun, though. It seems nobody is wishy-washy about how they feel about Ashland--they either love it or can do without it.

I prefer theater in New York and London, but I am content most of the time with Seattle's local theaters and the road companies that play here.

I like Ashland as a place to stay when I'm driving to or from California. Others love it's small town ambience and its theatrical offerings.

(I hope those who have a different view will state it without deprecating, denigrating, or lambasting my experience.)
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 06:12 PM

I rarely recommend specific accommodations, but our bed and breakfast on the outskirts of Ashland made the trip to the Shakespeare Festival particularly pleasant, so I'll make an exception and include it here http://www.countrywillowsinn.com/
The lovely grounds and garden, heated pool with towels and robes provided, wonderful breakfasts, complimentary port, extensive library and other thoughtful touches add to an overall warm and welcoming ambiance, much like a stay in the country with good friends.

In Ashland, there are a number of good restaurants including a micro-brewery and wine bars, and some nice shops as well as a pleasant walk along the stream that runs through the town center. Weekends include an outdoor market of high quality arts and crafts within a few steps of the theater area. I came away with wonderful hand painted silk scarves and a unique and beautiful silver calla lily necklace.

The drive to Crater Lake is worthwhile but does depend on the weather for scenic viewing since the lake can be obscured by clouds. The Oregon coast is a wonderful place to explore tide pools and Oregon has great pinot noir if you are into wine.

In short, I think there is plenty to see and do to make your trip enjoyable. Enjoy!
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 03:07 AM

You mention needing things to do during the day. Are you NOT seeing matinees? Usually with two matinees to choose from during the day and three plays at nights (which change daily and nightly) I always find myself doing two shows a day.

Also, one day do take the backstage tour -- quite interesting.