Search

Ashland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 08:46 AM
Lori

Ashland

What is there to do for one night in Ashland and where is a nice place to say that won't break the bank

Old Feb 3rd, 2000, 10:24 AM
John

Hi, Lori,
I presume you're referring to Ashland, Oregon.
One word: theatre. The Oregon Shakespeare Festival operates during much of the year, with 3 stages (2 inside plus the great outdoor stage) running a variety of plays (not just WS) from spring to fall. Go to http://www.orshakes.org/ for the schedule, also for links to visitor resources like hotel/motel/B&B listings, of which there are many.
The festival impacts heavily on accommodations in this small town, but there are plenty of affordable resources in nearby Medford if Ashland's full.
There are also lots of fun restaurants and bars to cater to the visitors.

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 05:24 AM
Karen

From Ashland PA, you can drive up the road a few miles to watch steam coming out of the ground from the Centralia mine fire. I'm not sure there are any motels, but if so, they'll be real cheap!

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 06:37 AM
??

From Ashland, MA you can drive into Framingham and do some shopping.

Any other Ashlands with suggestions?

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 07:46 AM
Jeannie

In Ashland, NH there are two exceptional restaurants... the Common Man and Alias Smith and Jones. Both have great food and nice, comfortable atmospheres.

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 02:43 PM
JC

In Ashland, Wisconsin, you could stay at the Ashland Motel or the better Anderson's Chequamegon Motel. You could take in the views of Lake Superior, go on an Apostle Islands Cruise, or if it's winter - do what the natives do and drink a lot of beer!

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 03:31 PM
Debbie

Ashland OHIO isn't too far from Cleveland/Columbus, or the treats and delights of Amish country in Central Ohio.

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 05:39 AM
Karen

Is someone planning an Ashland tour yet? I'm enjoying this thread. Are there more?

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 08:04 PM
Dave

I grew up in Medford, OR, 14 miles north of Ashland. All the Ashland kids came to Medford on Friday night, and there wasn't a damned thing to do in "Mudville", so must be less to do in Ashland. You can stay at Ashland Hills Inn near I-5, I suppose. I'm feeling really sorry for you, though. Try to get over to Jacksonville, you can take the back road. It's an old pioneer gold mining town, antique shops, etc. Kind of fun.

Old Feb 24th, 2000, 02:58 PM
trygve

Ashland, east of Lame Deer in Rosebud County, is almost at the border with Powder River County, and I think there may not be any place to stay there. If so,it would be a room in a private home or some such arrangement. What to do: tourist activities are not obvious, but Ashland is probably a very different place than the one you are coming from and it should be a rewarding experience. (I too enjoy getting off the beaten path.) Maybe you already plan on this, but I recommend the Little Big Horn Battlefield National Monument which is not too far from Ashland. It is a powerful place, and a visit in the late afternoon or early morning when it is quieter is especially good.

Old Feb 24th, 2000, 06:54 PM
traveler

In Ashland, VA you could tour Randolph-Macon College.

Oh, I love this!

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 01:50 PM
topper

To the top for more fun!

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 02:01 PM
Red A. Neck

Oh, and don't forget about us in Ashland, Kentucky. We're all one big family here -- really.