Search

Asheville, NC

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asheville, NC

Will be Asheville, NC to see Biltmore Estate, what do you recommend doing and seeing? I'll be there Memorial Day weekend (Sat-Mon). What about hiking? What are scenic hikes/drives around there? Thanks!
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:02 AM

Check out www.romanticasheville.com. Ignore the cheesy name and check out the Hikes and Walks Guide under "Things to Do". We especially enjoyed the Craggy Gardens hike they recommend - easy and an incredible view at the end.
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:53 AM

I would recommend a stop over at the Grove Park Inn, a huge stone lodge set into the hills. It has a great view and is a nice place to enjoy a drink at sunset. They added a spa a few years ago that is supposed to be really nice. You don't have to stay at the Inn to enjoy it.

Also, when you go to Biltmore, I highly recommend the winery tour. It's a lot of fun and they have tastings at the end. I've found their wines to be consistently good over the years. The restaurant in the Biltmore stables was pretty good when I was there years ago but kinda pricey.
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:17 AM

A road trip -

www.visitwaterfalls.com

From Ashville, take Blue Ridge Parkway to US 276 just north of Brevard, NC. There are several waterfalls on 276 toward Brevard. Also Cradle of Forestry. Two of the waterfalls are Sliding Rock and Looking Glass Falls. You can actually slide down on Sliding Rock Falls (or watch others). Both are right at the side of the road. Several other waterfalls in this area.

From Brevard go west on US 64 toward Sapphire. Just before Sapphire, take
NC 281 south about 10 miles to Whitewater Falls (about 400 feet drop, highest waterfalls east of Mississippi River). Go back on NC 281 to US 64. Go west to Cashiers and Highlands. Continue on US 64 to Franklin. Just outside of Highlands there are 2 nice waterfalls, Bridal Veil and Dry Falls. Cullasaja Falls is in this area also.

Continue to Franklin. Take US 23 north to Dillsboro and Balsam. The Blue Ridge Parkway will intersect US 23 close to Balsam. Take Blue ridge Parkway back to Ashville.

Around mile marker 417 stop at Looking Glass Rock parking overlook and Yellowstone falls parking. Short hike to Yellowstone Falls.

There are many overlook stops on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

http://ncnatural.com/Parkway/
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:34 AM

Check out www.exploreasheville.com as well as the Asheville papers www.citizen-times.com and www.mountainxpress.com for that week's activities.