Asheville and surrounding areas vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning to visit Asheville and surrounding areas. We are hoping to do this in June, but if we go later that's fine with us too. We are in our mid 30's and love outdoor activities (hiking, biking, etc.).

We have never stayed in a B&B, but would like to. Any recommendations on lodging and things to do? Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:48 PM

I think this or last month's issue of Frommer's Budget Travel magazine (avaiilable on newstands/at stores) has front cover article on Ashevile. Also, do a search on this forum for ideas.
Happy researching. I was there for a weekend a few yrs ago and loved it.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 10:00 PM

There are about 10 nice waterfalls that are easily accessable in the Brevard/Cashiers/Highlands/Franklin area and on the Blue Ridge parkway.

www.visitwaterfalls.com

The most accessable and easiest to find are: Whitewater Falls, Dry Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, Looking Glass Falls, Sliding Rock Falls, Yellowstone Falls.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:42 PM

I loved visiting the Thomas Wolfe Museum--he wrote Look Homeward, Angel and You Can't Go Home Again. I loved his novels when I was in college, and we even searched out his burial site so my husband could take a picture of me there.

They had some wonderful looking B&Bs, but we got a motel on the highway that saved us about $100 per night so I can't remember any names to recommend. We also loved our visit to the Biltmore Mansion. That's where we spent the $100. we saved, on entrance fees. It was worth it. We also drove down to Cherokee and then back on the Blueridge Parkway. We stopped once for a short hike. That stretch of the Parkway was more wild and spectacular (and less travelled) that the Parkway back up into Virginia.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:41 AM

You will love it...I feel very fortunate to live here. There are all sorts of biking, hiking, rafting, kayaking, horseback riding, opportunities that will keep you busy.
As far as B&B's in Asheville- I would probably look for something in the historic Montford district which is a fairly easy walk into downtown. Some other areas that you might want to consider for B&B's - Weaverville - about 10 min north of Asheville but lots of great road biking around there and about 25 min to App Trail. Black Mountain - about 15 min from Asheville - cute downtown and lot of hiking nearby. There are of course lots of hotels/motels to be had as well.
Other suggestions on activities:
1. Hot Springs and reserve a tub on the river - bring a bottle of wine and then get a massage. Get dressed and have a fantastic dinner at Magnolia Inn in HOt Springs.
2. Take a picnic up to the Parkway and drive til you find a spot that you like and have a picnic under the stars.
3. Take a canoe trip down the French Broad River
4. Spend an afternoon or evening wandering around all the shops and galleries in downtown Asheville and then have a great meal and one of the many restaurants.
5. Got out to the Bent Creek trails near the Arboreteum (if you have mtn bike) and ride on miles and miles of trails.
Let me know if you want specific restaurant recommendations.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Can you give us some recommendations for medium priced restaurants? Nothing real fancy, just good food and atmosphere.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 01:03 PM

I am sure Leah will have some good suggestions, she is a great resource. Here are a couple of mine: Country Girl, Flying Frog and if you get a chance to get over to Black Mountain try Veranda.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 02:32 PM

We spent a week at Lake Lure last October, and absolutely loved the area! We visited Biltmore (highly recommend it) in Asheville, but that's all we did there. I must recommend Chimney Rock park to you! We had a blast that day--great hiking and part of Last of the Mohicans was filmed there. There's a small town at the base, with restaurants and such. Continue on to Lake Lure for some more wonderful scenery (part of Dirty Dancing was filmed there). I'm envious--I would go back there in a heartbeat!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Tnoble - Medium priced restaurant recommendations - ok - to me medium priced is dinner for 2 with drinks at around $50-75. Is that what you were thinking?
Downtown
Limones (organic Pacific Coast Mexican) would be close - I guess it would depend what you would order but the food is so fresh tasting - at least go to Sunday brunch there and have a homemade Bloody Mary.
Barley's - great pizza and lots of beer choices. I like getting the pizza on whole what crust. They have a wonderful spinach salad.
Tupelo Honey - for brunch or lunch - comfort food, fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, my favorite used to be the Texas toast tomato and cheese sandwiches with Duke's mayo - yummm
Tomato(West Asheville) - used to be Italian but now the Salvadorean owner/chef is cooking - good - not fantastic and not Limones but very good.
Sunnyside Cafe/Bakery(West Asheville)- great for breakfast/lunch - homemade breads, tasty salads and soups.
Stoney KnoWeaverville)the locals know that this is an awesome place - but we really don't want the word to get out as it is busy enough already. If it's a nice day sit on their indoor/outdoor porch - if not, ask for the "red room" - fireplace and bar - you will be very pleasantly surprised by anything you order.
Worth checking into - Left Bank and Market Place both offer fixed price menus on certain days that are a great deal. I think they are Tues-Thurs until 6 or 6:30pm - but there would be a chance to enjoy more expensive restaurants at a great price as I think they are $25-$35 per person.
Cmfong wrote about Country Girl - I think they meant Early Girl Eatery - I ate there a couple of times a while ago and wasn't that impressed but everyone else seems to like it so I guess I should give it another try.
Veranda in Black Mtn is a wonderful place for soup and sandwiches - it is close to work and not home so I don't know about dinners.
Sorry this was so long...
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 01:20 PM

You are right, Leah! My mistake and I do apologize for the goof. It is the Early Girl and I did like it.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Trip Update: We are staying at the Black Walnut Inn B&B. Lori, the owner, seemed really nice--we talked for a long time while making my reservation.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 02:33 PM

I was in Asheville a few yrs ago and loved it. Wished I'd known then what i just saw on a Rachael Ray show--two restaurants that sound FANTASTIC. One is for breakfast, called Tupelo Honey. The other specializes in Native American food, located on the river just outside town--Spirits on teh River. A great pie shop called Picnic's. Also, there's a loca farmers' market, tailgate style. Here's a link with info on Asheville:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show..._35174,00.html
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Hi CaliNurse,

I caught that show over the weekend. Most of the places featured I already knew about b/c of people on this website. It was nice to see the places I plan to visit.

I didn't know about Spirits until I saw the show. Thanks for the link.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Asheville Trip Report

The Black Walnut B&B was fantastic. Since it was our first B&B I can't compare it to anything, but all the guests that stayed there during our visit said it was one of the best B&Bs. The owners Peter and Lori are a professional baker and chef, so the food was fantastic. There was a 3-4 course breakfast every morning with homemade pastries, fresh fruit, and main dishes such as egg frittata with spinach, peppers and cheese and stuffed French Toast. At 5:30 p.m. they served wine, tea, and assorted snacks (key lime tarts, quiche, chocolate covered strawberries, and much more).

The rooms were very nice and the bedding was so comfortable.

Some of the places we ate at were: The Asheville BBQ Company (Simpson's trivia every Sunday-had a blast playing it and drinking local brews), Rezaz (not that good), Left Bank (excellent!), and Market Place (very good!).
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Asheville Trip Report (continued)

We went to the Biltmore and parked near the gardens. The walk to the house was shorter than the front lot, and we got to see the gardens first before the crowds started. We visited the winery there and tasted many different wines. We were warned beforehand not to buy the wines at the Biltmore--you can get them cheaper in town (except for the Reserve and Special Edition wines).

I highly recommend purchasing the audio headsets. I learned so much about the house and family, and it made the visit much more enjoyable.

We went hiking at Chimney Rock Park. IMO $14 per person is a bit much to hike there. We did the entire trail. We started the hike going towards the waterfall instead of near the elevators. There was a very steep set of stairs at the beginning of our hike, and we were glad to go up instead of down.

We drove on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was nice, but after a while the scenery looked the same. I think if it were Fall instead of Summer we would have enjoyed it more. We drove to Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park (free admission and map at visitors center) and hiked for a bit before heading back to town.

We only had a few days in Asheville, but we had a good time. I'm still trying to figure out how to get St. Terese's Pale Ale delivered to NJ.

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful suggestions and tips on Asheville!
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 03:19 PM

ttt for pheasant