Search

Asheville in April

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asheville in April

I am planning to drive from Tampa to Asheville in April. Currently planning to stay downtown for 3 nights starting April 9th and then stay another 3 nights at the Village Hotel on the Biltmore estate. Looking for a relaxed, leisurely trip but am concerned there won't be enough to do. Also a little worried that the weather may not be great. Any advice?

Thanks!
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 01:46 PM

The weather is a complete toss-up. It is likely seem quite cool coming from Tampa.

There was a lot to do in the area even before Asheville became the Brooklyn of North Carolina, but most of it had to do with scenery.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 01:54 PM

What do you like to do. Asheville is a great place to eat, drink, go to galleries, and shop no matter the weather. If the weather is good, which it often is in April, you can drive the Blue Ridge Parkway, hike any of hundreds of nearby trails, visit the NC Arboretum, and hang out at the many outdoor cafes and breweries in downtown, or the River Arts District, or West Asheville. I personally would add more days downtown and fewer at the Biltmore estate, but others will disagree.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'm not much of a hiker but a scenic drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway sounds good. I'd be more interested in restaurants and breweries. Looking for places with good atmosphere and people watching. The River Arts district sounds interesting. I was hesitant to do 3 nights at Biltmore but I figured I could do a day trip somewhere if I get tired of it.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 03:36 PM

Yes, the weather will be a crapshoot.

You could have snow and 80 degree weather during the three days.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 06:16 PM

There are a number of wonderful restaurants in Asheville. Among the best are The Admiral, Posana, Chestnut, The Market Place, Bouchon, Limones, Isis, Isa's, Bull and Beggar, the Junction, 12 Bones, Curate and Rhubarb. At Karen Donatelli's bakery you can get some of the best croissants and scones anywhere. And the Hole in West Asheville is the perfect stop for coffee and handmade donuts. My top three recommendations for dinner in would be Limones , the Admiral, and Marketplace. Then save room for dessert and drinks at Nightbell or the Sovereign Remedies. Lunch could be at Curate. Katie Button, a very creative and talented local chef, owns both Curate and Nightbell. In the evenings you could check out some of the many music venues like Isis, Jack of the Woods, or the Orange Peel. Many of the breweries are within easy walking distance of each other in the downtown area. This could include, Wicked Weed, Twin Leaf, High Wire, Asheville Brewing Co, Lexington Ave Brewing,and others. If the weather cooperates get on the Blue Ridge Parkway driving west (toward Sylva). You will pass the NC Arboretum and can continue on for great views, Leave the BRP on Highway 276 and head down the mountain toward Brevard. Highway 276 goes through the Pisgah National Forest on the way to Brevard with waterfalls and river views all along the way. At the bottom of the mountains you can return to Asheville via Rt 280 which will take you past the new Sierra Nevada Brewery. They have excellent tours, with a very fine tasting room and good food. And be sure to spend some time wander through the galleries and studios in the River Arts District. Asheville is a very eclectic community. The perfect place to people watch for hours.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great information! I will definitely be trying some of those recommendations!
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 03:25 AM

Do be aware that most of the trees (I.e., scenery) along the Blue Ridge Parkway and thereabouts will not have any leaves unless you are going very late in April.

Highlands, NC, is at a higher elevation but I can attest that in April, it looked like Massachusetts.