Asheville Bed & Breakfasts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I plan to visit Asheville, N.C. in late July and would like to stay in a bed & breakfast. I gather that the downtown is pleasant, and it looks like there are a number of nice B & B's within walking distance, many of them in the Montford neighborhood. We're looking to spend under $200/night, possibly even under $150/night as we're staying mid-week (Sun-Thurs) when rates are lower.

Any recommendations/suggestions welcome.

Several considerations:

1. We're both allergic to both cats and dogs, with cats being much more serious. A dog on the property is not a problem so long as it's well-kept (the property, I mean, not the dog) and dogs are not permitted in the rooms. Cats anywhere on the property (except for outside) not possible.

2. A garden or some sort of outside space on the property for relaxing would be nice.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 10:36 AM

Richmond Hill
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Richmond Hill looks lovely, but not really walking distance to downtown (the Richmond Hill web site says it's three miles). It's also a bit more expensive than we'd like, with the cheapest rooms being $205/night.

We'll likely have dinner one evening at the restaurant at Richmond Hill, Gabrielle's.

Any other experience? Inns I'm considering include Abbington Green and The Black Walnut.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 03:28 PM

There's a B&B that is super convenient to downtown - even closer than the ones in Montford - it's on Chestnut Street. There are actually 2 - one is called the Chestnut St. Inn but the one across from it seems like it would be perfect for you - they have beautiful gardens and I often see guests sitting outside around a chiminea at nite near there pond...I'll try and find a name for you. There's another one about a block away - Beaufort House - beautiful grounds and porches - still very close to downtown on Liberty St.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Ok - it's White Gate INn - www.whitegate.net
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the tip re White Gate Inn---I'd actually already looked at it, as it seem perfect, but as per the inn's on-line availability grid they are booked (except for a large suite, out of our price range) for the period we're in town.

I'll contact Beaufort House and Chestnut Hill and see if they have availability.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:18 AM

I just got back yesterday- we stayed one night at Richmond Hill- Considering the VERY substantial breakfast and high tea included in the room rate, we felt it was a bargain. This place is absolutely lovely- the staff is charming- the gardens to die for. We stayed in the least expensive room and were very impressed. If you are considering dinner at Gabrielles- which was wonderful too- maybe you could consider staying there just the one night.
Asheville is one of my most favorite towns anywhere- I have some family there and usually end up spending at least a weekend every year, since our kids go to summer camp nearby. If you have any other questions I'd be happy to help out.