Search

Asheville advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asheville advice

Planning a weekend trip (this weekend) to Asheville. Wanted some honest advice at some of the choices I am thinking about!

B&Bs: Hillhouse B&B or Black Walnut B&B
Restaurants: Magnolias, Vincenzos, Savoy, Salsas
Lunch: Loretta's, Blue Moon Bakery
Dessert: Old Europe Coffeehouse
Drinks: Sunset Terrace
Hikes: Looking Glass Rock, Deep Gap Trail (Mt. Mitchell)

Thoughts? Advice on one over the other? Thank you!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:04 AM

You really have no choice here. Mount Mitchell Park is closed. Blue Ridge Parkway from the north is closed all the way to Mt. Mitchell for repairs and from the south (from Asheville) is still closed for the season between miles 344 and 375 (Bull Gap). So this weekend you won't be able to access Mt. Mitchell area. Blue Ridge Parkway is also closed between miles 423 and 469. You can easily get to Looking Glass Rock trail and it doesnt has snow at least on the top. That's what my sister reported to me. We are leaving for NC tomorrow. If you hike this weekend wave to us from Looking Glass. We are going to hike to John Rock. It is easily visible from your hiking destination. Views from both are gorgeous. I assume they are from the Looking Glass. We never hiked there, yet. Take road 276 to access the parking lot for Looking Glass Rock. Look for sign for Fish Hatchery. It is a big parking on the right side of the road. Don't forget to sign in. It is a long hike. Would like to read your report on this hike after your return.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:20 AM
GoTravel

Yes, as Pat states much of the Blue Ridge Parkway (my inlaws live less than one mile from the parkway) is closed and so is Mt. Mitchell.

You can still go to the Folk Art place.

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:35 AM
iceeu2

Where is the Folk Art Place? We are going over to the Lake Lure area this weekend. What restaurants do you recommend in that area?

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:48 AM
GoTravel

icee, it is the Southern Highland Craft Guild. My inlaws always call it the Folk Art Center.

http://www.southernhighlandguild.org/

It is on the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you take the exit for Billy Grahm's Cove off I-40, go left, then left at the first light, and the entrance for the Blue Ridge Parkway is less than a mile. The Folk Art Center is about five miles on your left.

I collect Stewart Nye jewelry and it is one of the only places I can find this.

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Are you guys sure you're not giving out bad/old information? I am under the impression that Mt. Mitchell is accessible from Asheville and has been for some time. The parkway closing from 344 -355 is on the OTHER (north) side of Mt. Mitchell from Asheville. I suggest the OP look at www.nps.gov/blri for information or call 828 298 0398 for daily updates on weather and other closures. Please clue me in if something new has happened that I"m not aware of.

That said, it's hard to go wrong hiking around Asheville (Pisgah Forest).

Restaurants - I have never been to magnolias or Vincenzos because reports have not been great. Savoy is loved by many but I have had some bad meals there and will never be back. Salsa is IMO the best restaurant in town, although casual. Other dinner suggestions would be: Zambra, Fig, Limones.

Lunch - never heard of Lorettas. Blue Moon closed(it was an excellent choice) and was replaced by City Bakery. Delicious pastries, but I would do lunch elsewhere unless you just want very basic sandwiches. I would pick Sunny Point, Salsas, Doc Chey insead.

Dessert: OK, I know I'm being a pain here, but I think Old Europe has really icky desserts. They look and taste frozen to me, but again, some people love the place. I would recommend City Bakery, Laughing Seed, True Confections or, my favorite, Ultimate Ice Cream on Hwy 70.

Drinks: YES!!! Sunset Terrace at Grove Park Inn is the BEST place for drinks. (OK, for HAVING drinks...the view is sublime...the drinks will be overpriced )

Hope you have a great time.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Wow....what a bummer....I can't believe so much is closed. Well thanks for that info, we will do Looking Glass Rock for sure. We also settled on the Sourwood Inn...which on Tripadvisor review after review was top notch. What about the restaurants? Are these good ones or tourist spots?
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Last month when we were there you could get to Mt. Mitchell but the road was closed just north of there, we got on at Black Mt. Per www.blueridgeparkway.org, it is closed between MM 317-325 & MM 344-355. Those are the same closures we experienced.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:14 AM

Litespeed_Chick, I called that number yesterday as we were planning on hiking at Craggy Gardens this weekend The parkway is closed at mile 375 (Bull Gap), north of Asheville, for almost all winter. The section between miles 344-355 is closed more permanently due to repairs after a damage from hurricane in September(?) 2004. As a result Mt. Mitchell is not accessible from either side right now. The gate at mile 375 will be open as soon as there is not snow or ice in the area.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:06 AM
GoTravel

The access to Mt. Mitchell was definately closed earlier this month from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:38 AM

So the Bull Gap closure must be fairly new. We got on off of 70, via Black Mt. & went as far as Craggy Gardens just about 6 or so weeks ago. But there was no snow then.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Hi SAnParis, from what I understand it changes all winter long. I guess you were lucky to find it open in February. It was closed when we took a drive on the parkway north of Asheville also in February. That's the beauty of the mountain roads. Always some surprise awaits.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:08 PM

There was several days of snow between Thursday and Sunday of last week in the area, particularly at higher elevations along the parkway. That's the reason it was closed (aside from the section between Mount Mitchell and Linville Falls that is closed due to reconstruction, which should reopen by May), since the NPS doesn't plow the road. However, with temperatures approaching 70 for the next several days in the Asheville area, the parkway could reopen even at higher elevations by the weekend.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:10 PM

I just walked in the door after a week at the Grove Park Inn. I took a group to dinner at Savoy and were we blown away. The food was exceptional, the service prompt and informed. I had some of the best snapper of my life there. At leah's suggestion I also took my group to Stoney Knob in Weaverville. Definitely a different sort of experience, much more casual. Excellent food and first rate service. I will go back. Leah, I sure am sorry I didn't know about the Ice Cream place on 70. I am an ice cream addict and was sorely disappointed to find the Biltmore Dairy Bar closed. Next trip, I hit the place on 70.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Sorry, it was Litespeed, a great resource, who mentioned the ice cream place. I will check it out.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:13 PM
GoTravel

Love The Grove Park Inn. Spent my wedding night and the first night of my honeymoon there.

It was so romantic! We had an end room suite on the top floor of the Ammons Wing. Floor to ceiling windows!

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Although it snowed twice, I kept the windows open. I love that beautiful Blue Ridge in the distance and the fresh mountain air. I will say Asheville is changing fast. More traffic than I could have imagined there even four or five years ago. Some of my favorite stores, gone. Oh well, that's the way life is. Asheville is still wonderful. This was my first trip to Weaverville, thanks to Leah's tip. Fun little spot. Of course, Black Mountain is always a must stop.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 04:41 PM

Litespeed is giving you the best advice about the restaurants...Magnolia's is ok, have never been that thrilled w/ Vincenzo's...for a big bucks meal I'd opt for Savoy or Fig or the ultimate would be Gabrielle's at Richmond Hill. Salsa - definitely for a casual dinner. Lunch...pizza and beer at Barley's or maybe Urban Burrito. Dessert...Old Europe - uck! I can't think of any place that does a really stellar job with just desserts.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 04:51 PM

Thanks to you, Leah, we found the Well Bred Cafe in Weaverville. Fabulous desserts.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:21 PM

Loved the Grove Park Inn, too. Don't miss their spa - really something to behold and relish!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -