Search

Aruba

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aruba

I make it a point to plan my own vacations. I figure I could cut out the middle man by being my own travel agent. This has worked great in the past, but now we're looking into vacationing for 5 nights in Aruba, and I'm coming up with high prices. I look in the newspaper, and it seems like the travel agencies have decent prices (better than what I'm coming up with), but still a little high. I'm thinking of sometime in mid January, and really have no clue about this place. I have yet to really research it, but a few good posts may steer me in the right direction. I live in Rhode Island, and have not checked much out about this place yet because I am still a little skeptical. We've been to Florida enough times already, so we're looking for more of a tropical getaway for January where the weather is warm. Any information including positives and negatives will be greatly appreciated. I'm also open to opinions to other hot places during this timeframe. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 05:28 AM

If you repost your question on the Caribbean forum, you will get a lot of info about Aruba.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 05:36 AM
GoTravel

Aruba is expensive because it is a long plane ride and finding a $500 round trip fair is excellent and not too common.

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 06:21 AM

I like to plan my own trips too, but sometimes you can get good air+hotel combo rates to the caribbean. We did this when we went to Arube several years ago and were still able to pick our hotel (we stayed at the Hyatt Regency).

We liked Aruba a lot. It is more arid than tropical so there aren't any rain forests or much exploring to do, but they do have really good restaurants and a very cute downtown area. It gets really hot there but the tradewinds keep a nice breeze going so you barely notice. There are other islands in the caribbean better for snorkeling but we snorkeled a wreck there which was neat.

Aruba is a good choice for a first trip to the caribbean (you might want to consider Grand Cayman as well). Personally I prefer ST John, USVI but that is much more remote and good for hiking, snorkeling, and really getting away from it all.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 06:25 AM
MHS

Check out the Aurba board www.aruba-bb
Also, consider direct rental from a time-share owner -- early november was running @500/week last year. However, remember keep in mind that January is a peak period for Aruba. There is absolutely no need for using a travel agent unless someone like Cheap Carribean gives you an unbeatable air fare. And you also have the option of booking flights with them while doing your own rental. Also, you do not need a rental car for all 5 days in Aruba. Unlike USA both walking & public bus will get you most places.
Enjoy.