Search

Art Trip Along Hudson River in Fall

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Art Trip Along Hudson River in Fall

Hello,

Has anyone taken a river cruise along the Hudson during the fall? I believe Smithsonian offers
a week's tour, in October, with an emphasis on 19th century artists and various mansions. I'm looking for any sort of feedback. Any information is appreciated!

Pete
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 03:14 AM

We are thinking very hard about this same route though doing the trip independently.

The train trip from NYC to Albany (and return, of course) is about as beautiful a trip as you could imagine, America's Rhine, as it were. Along the way are a multitude of historic houses and estates, the Dia Foundation (huge works of modern art in an old factory setting), West Point,the Culinary Institute of America, the Catskills, Saratoga Springs (well, a bit north)and the town of Hudson, one of the antique capitals of the Eastern US, especially for art deco through midcentury furniture.

We have obviously bounced in and out of this area on the way to other places, but we want to do it as a complete tour.

BUT we think strongly that you need the flexibility of doing this tour by car.

It would help if I knew where you were coming from and how long you have for the trip, as well as any particular interests you might want to share.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 04:18 AM

It sounds like a great trip but outrageously expensive at $4,000-5,000/person!

http://www.smithsonianjourneys.org/t...tion#itinerary

I'm also surprised they don't stop at Kykuit, the Rockefeller estate while in the Tarrytown area.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 04:46 AM

I agree with mclaurie on both counts:
1. It is indeed rather expensive, outrageously so.
2. How can they leave Kykuit out of its itinerary?
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 06:30 AM

That itinerary, linked by Mclaurie, does indeed stop at Kykuit on the last day.

it looks like a great trip to me.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:28 AM

chinacat, you're right. However, I'll blame the tour people for our oversight. They list that day's activities as being located in "New York, NY." In actuality, the Rockefeller estate is just outside of Tarrytown, a good 25 miles from the heart of Manhattan!
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:30 AM

PS: For the prices they charge, it better be a great trip!
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the input. I agree, it's quite expensive, for what you get--I just wondered what folks, who are familiar with the area, thought about the itinerary. I'm coming from the west coast and driving alone is not something I want to consider--but it sounds like an interesting trip.

Pete
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 01:30 PM

The Hudson Valley is indeed rich in things to do and sites to see. Check out these two websites:
www.hudsonvalley.org
www.hvnet.com
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM

I live in Dutchess County, have an office in Poughkeepsie, and have been to virtually all of the places mentioned in the Tour Description.

I find the tour itinerary a bit odd, since it seems to go up and down the Hudson in strange ways, leading me to believe that you will be bussed quite a lot, as I do NOT think there are berths for that ship in all the towns. On October 19, for example, you will go neither to "West Point" nor to "Catskill" You will float by them, though, on your way to Albany.
On Oct.20 you will be bussed, I guess, from Pok. to Hudson to see Olana, than across the river to see Cedar Grove.

On Oct. 21, you will be bussed to Hyde Park then down PAST Pok. to Beacon, then the NEXT day you go to Locust Grove which is IN Pok., then you cruise to West Point.

The rest seems fairly straightforward, except for the fact that you go to Tarrytown on Oct. 24, not the 23, when you will be going to Garrison, where you will be bussed to Pocantico Hills.

So, on balance, I would say the following:

1. this tour is WAY too expensive.If you want to send me $8,000, I will take a week off from my lawyer/mediator job, and take you to each and every one of these places, and I'll make more money than I would at work. (And I'll put you up, well,maybe not feed you every meal)( on second thought, I would. and even take you to some of the wonderful area restaurants that you'll be missing.)

2. If you decide to go on the tour, check to see how much bussing there will be.

3. You will be missing the wonderful Frances Lehman Loeb Museum at Vassar College, which also has a lovely Arboretum comprising the campus. and you will miss the Vanderbilt Estate, though I wouldn't be surprised if they drove you through on route to some one of the other sites. (You will be on Route 9 a lot.) And you will miss Bard College's Frank Gehry Performing Arts Center.

They do cover a whole lot of sites, all of which are very worth while.

I would pick out two locations in which to stay, say: Tarrytown (lots of good hotels, motels there.) and Rhinebeck perhaps (at the Beekman Arms - which has very nice accommocations.) - and I would hire a car.
You might be able to get a flight which ends in either Newburgh(Stewart) or Albany, both very good small airports, which would put you in a great spot to start such a tour

The problem for this year will probably be getting reservations for hotel rooms during the "leaf" season.

Hope this is helpful. This is truly a spectacular area for natural beauty and,increasingly, an art lover's destination.