Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Arriving NYC in the same week as the Republicans......help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the misfortune of choosing the same week (8/30 to 9/5) to visit NYC as the Republicans (for their convention.) Just found out from some friends that NYC will be in security level 4 Orange during that week. I am told that this high level of security will affect access to certain areas and subways. There will be protests and demonstration too. Can someone give some advice and information please?

Changing my travel plan is not an option (I would if I could as I am not a fan of the Republicans). I am flying into Washington DC from London (England), planning to stay in DC for three days, then catching Amtrak train up to NYC. Will the train station be closed during that week? Should I fly to NYC instead? I am not usually this helpless as I have travelled to many far flung places. The horror stories I read about the heavy handed security enforcements in the US make me a bit nervous.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 08:55 AM
GoTravel

Well, NYC has been on high alert since September 11th. No change in that.

NYC is a big city with protests always going on. No change in that.

It will be crowded, it is a city wide convention. Hmmn, city is always crowded and there are many citywide happenings that go on (Fifth on Sixth, Marathon, Fleet Week, etc).

In other words, I don't think this is a big deal unless you are trying to get into expense account restaurants. Since most of the speeches and good stuff happens at night, that should free up restaurants and plays.

Hang out downtown because I don't think the republicans are allowed south of 14th Street outside of Wall Street.

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, GoTravel, it is very reassuring to hear that the Republicans are not allowed outside Financil sector. I was caught right in the middle of a violent protest march in Amsterdam few years ago, an experience I don't want to repeat.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Penn Station will not be closed, but getting to and from it will be seriously disrupted. Most of the entrances will be closed and it will be highly unlikely that you'll be able to get a taxi. You should be able to get on the subway at Penn Station, but if you're carrying bags, you might want to be mentally prepared that they could be searched.

In addition all trains entering the station will be stopped outside the station until a security sweep can be completed. This could cause some delays.

I'd suggest the following, depending on where you're heading once in NY. If heading downtown below 23rd street, consider getting off the train at Newark and switching to the PATH train. (The PATH runs between NY and NJ.) You can either take the PATH that originates in Newark direct to the World Trade Center station or take the PATH at Newark, go two stops to Journal Square then switch to a train that stops at 5 locations on the West Side, below 34th.

Alternatively, take Amtrak to the Newark Airport Station and take the tram to one of the terminals. You can either catch something like the SuperShuttle or Olympia Trails bus to somwhere like the Port Authority.

In terms of protests happening "all the time" that isn't entirely accurate. A few protestors in front of the UN or Cuban mission on Lexington Ave is one thing. The potential for a few hundred thousand, by some estimates, closing the West Side highway is another.

In terms of heavy handed security enforcements, I'd suggest that you recognize that many of us who live in NY vividly remember the alternative.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:15 AM

Naturaltan - you'll be fine. Train stations will be open - and the train is great from DC to NYC. I'd stick with that.

And political protests in this country, are, for the most part, non-violent.

BTW, I live in DC, and there are small bands of protestors out every day, and have been for weeks, and will be until the election. DC is also on Orange alert with NYC and Newark, NJ. Par for the course.

Karen
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:29 AM
jor

For God's sake, stay away. That many Republicans in one place is dangerous. Just kidding!
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:31 AM

"The horror stories I read about the heavy handed security enforcements in the US make me a bit nervous"

Does Heathrow still have those "heavy handed security enforcements" in riot gear, carrying gigantic automatic weapons - like they did pre 9/11? If so, then NYC shouldn't scare you in the least.

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:33 AM

I would agree with Ryan's ideas about avoiding Penn Station, if possible. Madison Square Garden (where the convention will be held) is right above Penn Station. So that whole area will have the tightest security and may be a nightmare to navigate.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:34 AM
GoTravel

Natural, yes, the city will be crowded and Midtown will be a bit more hectic but it sounds like your friends have gotten pretty worked up over something fairly easily avoided.

Remember, republicans are people to so be nice to them. No one likes a profiler 'cause it's WRONG!

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Ryan, thank you for your valuable contribution and I am not insensitive and did not mean to offend anyone with my comment on security enforcements. My apologies if anyone is offended by it.

Is there a website I can look up on this issue?

Karen, thanks, I may have some questions for you later.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:40 AM

To naturaltan: keep in mind that almost 50% of Americans are Democratic and the other nearly 50% Republican. Should you throw around your sentiments broadly you'll end up offending quite a few people.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:43 AM

You should change your plans and fly into NY instead of taking the train, if at all possible. If not, follow the suggestions from Ryan. I would not want to arrive in NYC Penn Station on Aug 30th!
NYC has been on Orange alert all along, so no difference as far as that's concerned. Just keep an eye on the news regarding where protesters will be marching & assembling and avoid those areas. At this point, it looks like a major protest rally (250,000 participants) is planned for Aug 29th, so you won't have to contend with that one.
If you avoid the area around Penn Station/Madison Square Garden, you should be OK. There will be reports on various activities that are planned for the Republicans throughout the city so you can plan your intinerary around that.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:44 AM
GoTravel

nah, we republicans have to be thick skinned because everyone makes fun of us.

(seriously, contrary to popular opinion, not all republicans are Jerry Fawell Christian, pro-life, anti-enviromental, anti social program, military war mongering capitalists)

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Sorry, Naturaltan didn't mean that to come off the way it sounded. Certainly no one wants a Soviet style state where free movement is restricted. But, when I was sitting on the 38th floor of the MetLife building yesterday for a meeting, I have zero problem knowing a cop can stop a truck heading into the City for additional searches.

In terms of Penn Station info, here's a link to the advisory posted on the New Jersey Transit website and one on Amtrak's.

http://www.amtrak.com/savings/rnp.html

http://www.njtransit.com/nn_rnc_1.shtml
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:57 AM
lvk

I suggest you read some of the posts about Boston and the Democratic Convention. You'll find that many of the doomsday predictions about protests, traffic, transit,etc. just did not happen. Many residents of the city left town, lightening up the load.

Of course, there weren't specific terrorist warnings about Boston like there are about New York.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Go Travel - In response to your PS, "contrary to popular opinion..." To bad our current administration IS "that way."
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 10:04 AM
GoTravel

Paul, if you finish the sentence it reads "contrary to popular opinion, not all republicans....."

I said not all republicans.

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 10:09 AM

I know, I know, I know...

<wink>
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Ryan, you are a star!

I shall be staying in Chelsea and travelling to Flushing Meadows for three days, do I need to allow extra time for travelling?

And thank you all for your reassurance, you guys are just how I remember NYC when I last visited a few year ago, helpful and friendly.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Glad I can help. Definately plan for extra time as the simple fact is that NY hasn't seen an event like this and at a time like this in it's history.

What might actually help keep things moving a little more freely than some anticipate is that numerous people have relayed to me that they're taking vacation that week. If my company and our clients are representative, then in some ways it might be easier to get around. In fact, I've got a colleague trying to get me to go to Minnesota with her that Monday and Tuesday so that she doesn't need to be in the city.

Good luck and have a great time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -