Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Arriving in NY on Thanksgiving day...what to expect?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been to NY many times, but never on a Holiday. If I go, I'd arrive on Thanksgiving day and wonder if the AirTrain and subways will be running a regular or limited schedule? Does the parade cause any glitches here and there? Times to avoid? I could arrive very late Wed. night but that would require a cab - I'm guessing Wed night is even worse?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Wednesday is the busiest travel day of the year so I definitely wouldn;t do that.

If you are arriving in the morning and your hotel - or the route to your hotel - is near the Parade you will run into a huge amount of traffic. When are you landing and at which airport?

The Air Train and the subway will both be running - but probably more on a weekend schedule (every 10 minutes or so versus every 5 on weekdays). Neither shuts down - transit in NYC runs 24/7/365 (although in the middle of the night the trains or buses may run every 30 minutes or so and on Sundays the subways can be intermittent if they are doing track work on that particular line.). The parade route will be very busy - starting at about 6 am and lasting until about noon at the south end.

Once the parade ends (around noon) most people will head home for thanksgiving dinner and the city should be fairly empty. If you want a traditional dinner do reserve in advance or you may have trouble finding a place with room for you.

If you are willing to go for a casual ethnic place you will find other places open. A great day to walk the city, explore the decorated shop windows etc - before the worst of the crowds arrive the next day. Black Friday and that weekend will be mobbed - every where - shopping, sightseeing, sidewalks - you name it. If you want to do anything that normally has lines (Empire State Building for instance) Thanksgiving is likely to be better than other options.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 04:40 PM

There is virtually no traffic on the east side of Manhattan on Thanksgiving morning until 10. The west side ia a different thing entirely. But if you are willing to use public transit entirely, despite a reduced schedule, there will be no problems whatsoever. It's a madhouse if you are staying near Herald Square or Times square and have to cross sixth avenue.

If you arrive in the afternoon, after 3, again no problems. Especially if you use public transit.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

My daughter lives in the West Village and I'd stay with her. I'd be arriving at JFK about 11:30 AM T'giving day. My plan is AirTrain. Thanks for the input!
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 08:30 PM

Thanksgiving Day is usually good for traffic unless you are a float or AL Roker.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 04:07 AM

You will be unaffected by the parade whether you take a taxi from JFK or the Airtrain to Howard Beach and then the A train into Manhattan. The trains will be running on a reduced holiday schedule and frankly, I'm get a taxi.