Search

Arizona Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arizona Trip Report

December 2004
Flew from Anchorage, Alaska to Tucson, Arizona on Alaska Airlines. Thank heavens for first class upgrades and board room passes (for our 4 hour layover in Seattle)!

Day 1 - We (hubby and myself) headed north to Flagstaff. We stayed at the Radisson Woodlands and ate at the Beaver Street Brewery (excellent pizza!)

Day 2 - After breakfast we drove north on 89 to Cameron, stopping at Wupatki National Monument - enjoyed walking around the indian ruins. Weather was sunny with a cool breeze.
Had lunch at Cameron Trading Post - Navajo Tacos - they were delicious!
Bought a beautiful Navajo rug here - Storm pattern by Marie Sellers. I spent way more than I had originally planned. Looked at lots of beautiful rugs, but this one really caught my eye. But when I saw the price, I put it back, but hubby kept saying "if you like it, just buy it!" So I did. What a guy!!

Headed west on 64 to Desert View and the Grand Canyon. This was my second trip to the GC (first time was back in October 1982), but it was hubby's first time. Words are really hard to describe the Grand Canyon. It certainly is grand!

Overnight at the El Tovar Lodge. I was glad we stayed here. I just liked the atmosphere and feel of the lodge. As we were there the week before Christmas, the lodge was decorated accordingly - a beautiful Christmas tree in the lobby. Our room even had a view of the canyon.

Day 3 - Woke up to cloudy, foggy skies with light snow. After breakfast we drove the west rim drive to Hermits Rest. Stopped at all the viewpoints along the way and took lots of pictures. Had coffee and hot chocolate at Hermits Rest. By the time we arrived back at El Tovar the weather had cleared and there were sunny skies, albeit cold. Temperatures during the day were around 40 and overnight 15-20, crisp, cold and clear.

In the afternoon we did a tour of the Kolb studios and I did some more shopping.

We ate lunch at the El Tovar - salad and a bowl of chili - it was delicious, probably some of the best chili I have eaten.

I am glad we visited the Grand Canyon in December. I can't even begin to imagine the number of people there in summer.

Day 4 - Left the GC and headed south to Sedona on 89A - a great scenic drive.
Checked into The Orchards. Tonite we ate at the Cowboy Club.

Day 5 - Drove and walked around Sedona and in the afternoon did the Broken Arrow Pink Jeep Tour - had a blast.
Ate at Javelina Cantina.

Day 6 - Headed back to Tucson on I17. Visited Montezuma Castle NM - more amazing indian ruins. Another beautiful sunny day.

We spent the next week in Tucson visiting my sister in law and her family. (This was the main reason for our trip - to spend Christmas with family).

We stayed at the Extended Stay on Grant Road. I realise this place would not suit a lot of people, but it was perfect for us.

While in Tucson we went to the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, Saguaro National Park (east and west), Tohono Chul Park, historic area of downtown and Sabino Canyon.

We ate at El Minuto and Molinas Midway for Mexican food - both were excellent!
Also had great pizza at Zacharys, and really really good ribs at Famous Daves (something Alaska is missing).

Compared to Alaska, the weather was perfect- warm and sunny, mid to hi 60s. I even broke out the flip flops!

We both had such a great trip that we're going back to AZ in March for 2 weeks. This next trip will include Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly.

Only 3 weeks tomorrow!!

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:47 AM

Sounds like you had a great time, Gilbert. Thanks for the informative report. I haven't been in that area for a few years and I'm anxious to go back. It's just so beautiful.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 08:17 AM

Great trip report. With 2 weeks you could see Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks too!

Utahtea
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:57 AM

Your trip sounds wonderful. How long did it take you to drive from GC to Sedona via 89A?
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

I can't remember exactly how long it took to drive from GC to Sedona.
We stopped & took pictures of elk when we leaving GC.
Also stopped for gas in Flagstaff.
And we stopped at any scenic overlook, in particular the one at the start of the drive down into Sedona. There were quite a few Native American jewellery stands, so of course I had to look at those too.
I think we got to Sedona around lunchtime.

Utahtea - I'm saving Zion and Bryce and Arches for our next trip!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:38 PM

I've only one more sleep to go! Really looking forward to our trip. Most places are second time for us old Aussies, so we are staying four nights each in LA, Primm (for the desert), Mesa, Flagstaff (also at the Radisson Woodlands Gilbert) then up to Moab for Arches and Canyonlands and back through Capitol Reef,Bryce and Zion. This forum has been great -thank you to all - and I now know what you look like, Utahtea - your info is always good, and your photos are magnifcent! Now, we just have to bring the good weather with us! Gilbert - some of the roads in Utah rival even that gorgeous Anchorage-Seward and also Palmer to Valdez routes!More when I return.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Carrabella

Another Aussie!! I'm originally from Melbourne. Have lived in Alaska for almost 14 years, but "I still call Australia home".

Gilbert