Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some airline carriers scaling back bereavement rates

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/breaking/022105bereave.php
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:26 AM
Dan

To be honest, many airlines have now changed their fare structures so that bereavement fares are just as high as "full-fare" tix.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:47 AM

Two years ago, my mother was getting ready to fly from St. Louis to Orange County to visit us. Her brother died two days before her flight. He lived near us. American Airlines refused to waive her ticket-change fee and charged her full-fare for a new ticket (instead of a bereavement fare, or even just letting her use her old ticket). It ended up costing nearly $1,000; I was shocked that they took advantage of her desire to fly to her brother's funeral. I would have thought that once she bought the new full-fare ticket that they would waive the change fee; but they charged her for everything they could think of. I was surprised they didn't put a bereavement tax on her fare; they sure didn't cut her any slack or show any compassion.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:00 AM

Here's the reality of a seat on an airline - it is now a commodity. The flying public has deemed that what matters to them most is price. Bigger seats are nice, good food is a plus, empathy in a family emergency is a good deed. All that means little for most people when they are looking for their next flight to Vegas, Orlando, Paris, etc., etc., etc.

American may have provided bereavement fares in the past. But, what they probably learned is that for the vast majority of the public, the airlines act of discounting the value of that seat probably meant very little the next time someone was looking for a flight.

Some might be inclined to think that it'll cost American business and passengers will be mad at them for taking advantage of their situation. The cold hard reality is that American probably figures that if other's in the industry are doing the same, it'll be a wash. They probably know from experience that everytime someone vows "I'll never fly american again", they'll keep that vow until they realize that flying Delta instead of American means an extra $250.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is taking advantage of someone's situation on the airlines part. But, I understand why they feel they can get away with it.

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:18 AM

Too true, Ryan. My parents are visiting now, courtesy of American. After all the bad stuff two years ago, this year they offered cheaper seats on a direct flight. Doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy, but it's reality about modern travel.