Arizona to Utah in the winter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're considering spending next winter in AZ to be in a warmer climate (we live in MA), but mostly to be able to spend more time with our children and grandchildren who live in Utah. We would want to be able to drive to the Salt Lake City area for a few days from time to time. We've traveld in the area quite a bit during the summer, but don't know what it would be like in the winter. The two places we're considering are the Tucson area and the Yuma area. Thanks for your help, Eileen
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 04:44 AM

Maybe we're not sure exactly what you are asking. If you stay in Tucson, are you asking what the 12 hour drive to SLC would be like? Are you asking if we would recommend making that 12 hour drive several times during the winter? I'd vote for a cheap flight instead of the drive. Stopping in Page or Las Vegas would divide the trip up some. It's a long drive. Are you asking about road conditions? As long as you don't head out when a winter storm is approaching, you should be fine.

I'd check out flight options if I were making that trip several times. If I were making the trip once, I'd enjoy the drive and stopping along the way.

Not sure what you are asking for.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 04:55 AM

I live in Salt Lake and my in-laws are retired. They travel to Arizona every year right after Christmas to get out of the cold and snow. They don't come back until April. They spend most of their time in Yuma (in their fifth wheel) but also travel to Tucson and Phoenix. They really enjoy all the activities and friendships of other retire people who spend winters there.

I agree with Starsville about a cheap flight being better than the 12 hour drive several times during the winter. If you want a warmer climate without such a long drive, you could consider St. George, Utah or Mesquite, Nevada.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 05:11 AM

Despite how it looks on the map neither Tucson or Yuma are close to SLC, Utah. You are talking a LONG drive (and often poor weather in the winter). Northern AZ gets snow, ice, etc. as well as very very cold temps.

Incidentally, check winter temps for Tucson and Yuma I live in Tucson and it was 22 degrees the other a.m. We have had a terrible week of very cold weather. Yuma has as well. Sure, it's not snow and ice, but it can get cold !! (people tend to forget that the Sonoran desert does have variety in weather).

Check Southwest Airlines and see what they charge from Tucson to SLC. I do not think Yuma has flights to SLC. They have a small regional airport over there and you need to drive to Phoenix (or San Diego) if you want to take a major air trip. The puddle jumper flights they may have to Phoenix would cost a small fortune.

Personally, if I were planning on going to SLC several times during the winter I'd not choose either Yuma or Tucson to live in. Yuma is just plain inconvenient and I suspect airfare from TUS are not bargains either. Why not look into the Phoenix area ? Much more choices in the way of airfare to SLC if you are determined to do that.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response. I guess the question concerns winter travel along those roads - different routes (perhaps) depending on whether we're leaving from Yuma or Tuscon, suggestions for preferred routes from either location, road maintainance, traffic, weather conditions (typical), etc., etc. I understand the responses about air travel versus road trips; however, we don't mind the road trips - rather look forward to them (usually do about 8,000 to 9,000 miles of road travel every summer; and generally, we find the air travel cost-prohibitive. Just thought if you had insight about travel in the area or suggestions about "crash sites", it might help us lean towards one locale or the other. Or, some third choice. (I had though that St. George would be a colder choice than either Tuscon or Yuma?)
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Eileen, why do you consider Yuma? Is there anything special? What outdoor activities are available in Yuma?
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

for Mama: I confess to never having been in Yuma. But, its southern latitude and proximity to San Diego and Salt Lake City (Interstates 5 and 15) - plus its (seemingly) numerous RV parks did seem to offer some appeal. Do you have some knowledge/experience of Yuma?
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 08:55 AM

We winter in Green Valley just south of Tucson and have done for several years. Unless you are an RV'r I wouldn't recommend Yuma. Tucson area has so much to offer as far as things to see, shopping, symphony etc etc. If golfing is of interest you can't beat Green Valley as well. We are just 20 - 25 mins to the Tucson airport and it is in my opinion one of the most civilized airports to fly in and out of. Parking is great and close to a very easy terminal. Yuma is closer to San Diego but that is it. WE checked it out as well as the Phoenix area before we bought and we are very glad we settled where we did.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Well, the Yuma area was of interest only for cost savings and the number of RV parks, which is how we'll be living. The folks that mention flying have a good point, but we need a car once we get there. (We'd be traveling with our tow vehicle.) Tucson appeals to us more than Phoenix (by information we've gotten from other folks.)
Coming from the New England area, with more to do here than one can do in a lifetime, means that a place like Yuma will surely be boring for us, but we still need to factor in living expenses (on a very limited income. We wish we had the luxury of a variety of choices.) We'll also be there for just the winter months and can hopefully survive the "nothingness." (We do tend to be pretty active -- mostly swimming and bike riding.) Again, our choice for the area is to be warmer than New England and relatively close to our children. We've been listening to the national weather and are aware of the cold in the AZ area, but it still generally comes out way ahead of this ice junk we're dealing with right now!
Our question really was about travel across the area during the winter. We're used to winter travel in New England, but are experienced enough travelers to know that there are certainly things we don't know! For example, we've driven several times from SLC to Jackson Hole in the winter and know what to expect (the unexpected!) or what to worry about. So, despite the distance from AZ to SLC (which is CONSIDERABLY better than getting to SLC from MA!!!), is winter travel from the areas mentioned prohibitive? Thanks again.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 12:10 PM

We were in Arizona last Feb.-March and then home via Utah. I would say that weather/roads depends a great deal on elevation and geography. Situation in southern Arizona likely pleasant but might be cool. Up north and higher up in say Grand Canyon or Prescott it could be very wintery. And traveling in Utah we did run into a snow storm in March, stopping to see Zion and Arches but couldn't get to Bryce.

ozarks bill
[email protected]
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:22 PM
TheWeasel

Well, if you stick to the interstate and go through Las Vegas I wouldn't worry much about the road conditions in winter. The only other real option is to head east of the Grand Canyon and go through Page, and that could present more problems if there is wintery weather. However, you should know about that ahead of time so you can always adjust and take the LV route if there are any sort of weather concerns.

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Yuma will be the warmest. Tucson and St. George lows are less than 5 degrees difference and highs are within 10 degrees. Since you're RVing it, why not plan on moving around. Spend some time in Yuma, Tucson and St. George. Weather.com is a good site to check out averages.