Search

Arizona in February

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2009, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arizona in February

DH and I are planning a February trip to Arizona to mix a few days of the gem shows in Tucson with touring around the state to see Painted Desert and Grand Canyon. Before I get too far into the planning, is this just a bad time of year to do Painted Desert and GC? Do we run a risk of roads, scenic overlooks etc. being closed because of snow?

Also, for a 10 day trip, with 4 days in Tucson, would it be too much to try to add Hoover Dam to this lineup of things to see? We are thinking of flying into Phoenix, renting a car, and flying back from Las Vegas, dropping the car off there. And give 2 days at gem shows, is 2 days of sightseeing in Tucson more than necessary?

Many thanks for any insights, fellow Fodorites - Claire
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 07:36 AM

Not too hard to fill two days of sightseeing in Tucson in February, as the weather is almost sure to be splendid. Helps if you're outdoorsy types.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 08:21 AM

I wouldn't worry about the snow. THere is always a small chance of snow closing roads, but rarely as long as a day. Certainly Hoover Dam is no problem if leaving from LV and if you really want to see it, no problem if leaving from Tucson or Phoenix if you are visiting the GC.

When in Tucson, I would also consider visiting Bisbee (take the Copper Queen mine tour) and Tombstone (get there for the OK Corral shootout in the afternoon). I would also consider Karchner Caverns.

In visiting the Painted Desert, I assume that you are also going to the Petrified forest (much more interesting). Also consider Meteor Crater.

I would also approach the GC by way of Sunset Crater, Wupatki Nat. Mon. and Cameron.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 08:55 AM

Chance of snow at the GC in February but typically it's a fast moving system that clears up a day or so later. Roads can get icy and I-40 gets shut down a few times each winter (there are a couple of steep hills east and west of Flagstaff that have big pileups due to ice, then they shut the freeway for a while). Figure in a 'normal' year there's a winter storm 3-4 times in Feb.

Less snow near Painted Desert because of the lower elevation, but you'll likely have to drive thru snow at higher elevations to get there.

So basically with a 10 day trip you'll almost certainly have a window of clear, sunny weather that will let you visit the canyon without driving on icy roads, but since you probably won't know in advance exactly when it's clear I'd not make reservations early.

I would check on the drop-off charges, it might make more sense to just fly in and out from Phoenix or possibly Tucson. Also the car rental might be a lot cheaper in Tucson since Phoenix has very high taxes on airport rentals, in part to pay for the football stadium.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you three for your ideas. The more I read about the area, the more I want to see. Now I'm looking at adding Monument Valley/The View hotel in as well.

You're right - big difference in price between a hotwire car rental even from Phoenix and one-way drop-off between Tucson/LV through Expedia (Hotwire only does round trip car rentals). Will have to fine tune this better.

Any thoughts on type of car needed? 4-wheel drive for snow or simple economy compact? Claire
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:25 PM

Car rentals out of Phoenix are especially high due to added taxes. GC and Bisbee are opposite directions from each other which would mean a lot of driving in 10 days. I'd rather enjoy the Tucson Gem Show (awesome experience if you have not been) and tour in that area leaving GC and northern areas for later trip not in the winter. Snow is always a possibility at GC during the winter, but Tucson and area has sunshine and warm temperatures all winter. If SW history and outdoor activities interest you, it would be very easy to spend 10 days in the area. Karchner Caverns is a top rated cavern with a great tour, but reserve your tickets early as it is also a popular destination. Tucson area would not need 4 wheel drive cars.