Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Are women the only ones who have anxiety about traveling solo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 09:57 AM
Lone Wolf

Here's an observation. I have seen several threads about solo travel anxiety. In almost all cases, the solo travelers who are worried about vacationing by themselves are women. Do men just not have anxiety about traveling alone, or are they just too macho to admit it? The anxiety I refer to is not about safety; it seems to be more a question of simple loneliness and the need for a companion while on the road.

Is this observation correct, and do you men out there feel just fine when you are on the road on your own?

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 11:19 AM
Owen O'Neill

If I'm on the road for business I never give it much thought but when traveling alone for pleasure travel I do on occasion feel the pang of loneliness. It's not significant enought to prevent me from traveling solo. Interestingly enough (perhaps not surprising), it tends to strike me when I encounter something so beautiful and memorable that I wish I was sharing it with a significant other. During the more mundane travel times (having breakfast, unwinding in the room at day's end etc.) I'm rarely aware of it.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 01:31 PM
bob Brown

I don't think I have any anxiety about solo travel, at least not in Western Europe, the United States and Canada. But, having gone on solo business trips and solo "tourist trips", I have reached the point that I prefer not to go it alone.
But, I have the world's best companion to go with me these days. I guess if I had the option of going alone or going with one of those "horror story" companions that have been described many times in a thread on this forum, I would opt to go alone. But, for right now, I don't have that concern. When you travel with the best, the trip is so much better.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 04:33 PM
Bill

Women should have anxiety about traveling solo especially by auto. Not so much flying. There are to many sick-o perverts out there just waiting to attack. Many women think it just couldn't happen to them and leave themselves good targets.

I never travel alone. Mr. Colt is always beside me. On two occasions Mr. Colt saved my life from scum intent on robing me or just plain doing me in or both. I never leave home without him.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 06:43 AM

I think there's still a *slight* stereotype here -- the way a traveler is treated. A man alone might be presumed to be a business traveler, a woman alone must be desperate, right? I truly hope a women alone isn't preyed upon.

As a woman, there have been times when I've gone to a restaurant by myself (in my city) and have been treated really weird -- sometimes condescendingly sympatheticly, sometimes like it's a imposition to have my own table. As you may have guessed, there's some places I won't go back to alone.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 10:14 AM
Ken

Hi,

I am flying to Boston in a few months time, and this will be my first time on my own. And yes, I feel anxious about going, especially to another country. And yes, I don't look forward to being alone,not being able to share the experience of this City with someone. we are after all .. but Human!

Kenneth
Edinburgh, Scotland.