Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Are airlines personnel asking to see your Pet's ticket before boarding plane?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 05:13 PM
gfw

We always take our tiny Yorkie in his flight bag on AA flights to LA. but we usually don't bother with mentioning it or standing in line to get a "ticket" for him.
Are they stricter now? Has anyone flown on AA w/pet in bag lately and do they has for pet ticket?

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Della

I'm almost positive that AA has a toll free customer service number. Just a thought.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 02:23 AM
hmmm

As a travel agent, I don't see how you have been getting away with not having a ticket for your dog. Most airlines will only allow one or two pets per flight and usually you do have to pay a fee to allow your pet to travel with you. Some airlines don't even allow pets to travel in the cabin(although I would never want to put one in cargo).

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 04:37 AM
BTilke

You are taking a big risk by not having reserved space in the cabin for your Yorkie. Most airlines require you have a reservation for him (even those that do permit pets in the cabin usually limit it to just a couple of pets TOTAL for the entire cabin--if someone else has made a cabin reservation for their pets, you would be out of luck). You should also bring a certificate of health from your vet (the certificate must be less than 30 days old).

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Les

I'm actually amazed that airlines allow pets in the cabin at all, given the number of people allergic to animals. When peanut allergies were brought to the public's attention, airlines were quick to withdraw peanuts, even though they could be avoided by those who are allergic. Not so with pets.
I think, out of consideration for other passengers (who are, believe it or not, more important than animals), gfw should refrain from bringing his (her?) pet into the cabin.
And while I'm on the subject, would those women who feel the necessity to splash themselves from head-to-toe with perfume please take a bath instead?
By the way, I don't have any allergies that I'm aware of, but my wife does, and I know whereof I speak.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 12:51 PM
What's up

Les, for people who have an allergy to peanuts it is LIFE THREATENING! Not the same as pets.

gfw, you are an idiot. Call the airline.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 01:19 PM
mae

My Yorkie always gets a ticket ($80.00 each way on Continental) He has travel over 10 RT & we were only asked for his boarding pass once. I am always tempted to try to sneak him on & act stupid if caught, but have never done it.
I also get the health cet $62.00 & have never been asked for it.
Since he is my carry on & sits under the seat in front of me I do resent the
high price

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Les

Right you are, What's up. Peanut allergies can be life threatening, but peanuts can be avoided. A pet in the seat next to you can't.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Roger

I rather have a pet in the seat next to me than that loser Les here.