Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anything to do in Boise, ID during Christmas week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 01:56 PM
mama

I know it's a bit out of the way, but how about some fun suggestions for Boise. Nice family restuarants, brew pubs, entertainment (comedy clubs, theatre), short day drives (1 hour or so from town). I will be visiting relatives, but want to have some vacation fun as well. Relatives are religious conservatives and don't have many suggestions outside of church.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 05:08 PM
Bruce

Christmas in Boise? Sorry, dude, you're burned!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 09:57 PM
Don

As far as short day drives (1 hour or so from town), there's not much. Here are a few places that might be interesting or at least scenic/historic:

1. The Snake River Birds of Prey National Conservation area has lots of raptors--you might see some birds in the wild, but if not at least there's some interesting terrain around the Snake River. To get there, head west of Boise about 9 miles on I-84 and take exit 44 south through Kuna.

Alternatively, to get to what sounds like a more learning type of experience, take Cole Rd. south from I-84 (probably somewhere between exits 48 and 52) to the Peregrine Fund's World Center for Birds of Prey. Probably less than half an hour from Boise.

2. Idaho City, about 35 miles northeast of Boise on Highway 21, is interesting historically. After the discovery of gold in 1862, Idaho City became the largest town in the Pacific Northwest. More gold was mined in the Idaho City area ($250M worth) than was mined in all of Alaska during the Yukon Gold Rush. Lots of buildings from the 1860s are still intact, and you can take self-guided walking tours of the area.

3. Probably a little more than an hour southeast of Boise is Bruneau Dunes State Park, where you find sand dunes almost 500' high--the largest single structured sand dune in North America. There's a small observatory there where they have astronomy viewings at various times. I wouldn't drive that far just to walk on the sand dunes, but if there were a scheduled viewing at the observatory some night that might make it worthwhile.

About 65-70 miles east of Boise is Glenns Ferry, an important river crossing site on the Oregon Trail. There's a nice little museum with a short film and lots of interesting displays about the settlers, the Indians, and the hazardous crossing site.

Boise itself has a long greenbelt that follows the Boise River throughout the city. There are lots of nice parks along the greenbelt. It might be too chilly for a lot of walking, but you never know.

If you're going to be there for New Year's Eve, the Humanitarian Bowl is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. at Boise State University's Bronco Stadium.

Wish I could help you with the restaurants, brew pubs, and entertainment, but I don't know anything about them.

Anyway, you might check out http://www.visitid.org for more ideas. Or request a free Idaho travel guide from that site.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 10:00 PM
Don

Oh, here's a site with a list of restaurants in the Boise area. Maybe this will be helpful:

http://www.insiders.com/boise/main-restaurants3.htm

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 05:09 AM
Steve Tantes

Christmas in Boise? Put a fork in it, baby, you're done! Don't let the hayseeds serve you cold storage potatoes--they grow them fresh out there, underfoot.

ST

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 05:50 AM
mama

Thank you for the constructive advice. I figure we might as well experience the community while we are there. Anyone ever heard of making lemons into lemonade? Every town has its own hidden charm if you are willing to look for it.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 06:22 AM
Don

We were in Boise a few weeks ago, but mostly we drove east and west of town to see some of the things I mentioned in my previous posts.

We think Boise's a pretty nice place--very picturesque, with the foothills rising above the north side of town. Very easy to get around, too.

Here are a couple more links I found. One is to a Sunset Magazine story on Boise from a few months ago, another is to the Boise Convention and Visitors Bureau. The latter site has a Dining link that includes a list of brewhouses/pubs.

http://www.sunset.com/Premium/Travel...Boise0801.html

http://www.boise.org/visitor.html

Hope these help...

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 07:20 AM
J T Kirk

Head up to McCall. Pretty cool town with a great setting, right smack on the Payette Lake. Great hiking, and some lively bars. It's about a 90 minute drive or so.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 01:56 PM
Nookie Monster

Honey child, you'll be making mashed potatoes from spuds in Idaho, not lemonade! It'll be some good exercise for you, though.

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Andrea

Ouch! I usually frequent the Europe and Asia boards, but thought for fun I'd check out the US boards and see if anyone has posted about my hometown, Boise. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me!

I'm originally from Boise, currently living in Shanghai. I'm frequently asked about Boise, typically with smirks belying the condescending (but hopefully in good fun) attitudes similar to those above.

Boise is a fabulous place to live, and has consistently appeared on the top of Money Magazine and other lists of the best places to live in the US. It's naturally beautiful, with snow-capped mountains on the horizon, a river running through the center of town, and it's grown slowly enough that the city planners have been able to do a great job of maintaining green space and people-friendly areas. It's big enough, however, to have its own opera and ballet companies, Shakespeare festival, etc.

The heart of Boise is in the city center, which has been wonderfully restored/beautified. No matter where your family lives, plan on spending your time there.

There is a fabulous area downtown (starting at the Boise Center on the Grove) that leads to a mostly pedestrian area with boutiques, wine bars, restaurants, and galleries.

There are live theater performances, there is a permanent comedy club, and there's a fun art movie house that shows independant and foreign films (and has a great restaurant).

There are fabulous restaurants. Doughty's Bistro is a MUST - it's in the all-marble former lobby of an old bank, and serves GREAT food and wine. Before you dine there, have a glass of wine at the Grape Escape, a wine bar where all the business people go for an after work drink. Surprizingly, Boise has an extremely large Basque population - and to benefit from this, go to Onati, known for its great Basque food (but not its decor - go for the food!).

Don't be fooled into going to the Cottonwood, which is a glorified, overpriced lodge restaurant - the high prices lend it undeserved popularity among those looking for an impressive place to eat out. Schott's offers better food, and the Renaissance better atmosphere.

Check out the free weekly newspaper (creatively named "Boise Weekly") for club suggestions. My personal favorites are the Blues Boquet and Joe's.

There is skiing about 45 minutes out of town.

There is also a GREAT resort town about an hour and a half out of town. Sun Valley has been a resort town for Hollywood stars for decades - Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenwhatever, Jamie Lee Curtis and others have houses there. More boutiques, restaurants, & galleries, plus breathtaking scenery and world class skiing.

I am confident that you will find plenty to do in Boise. Granted, it's not a "destination" city, but it's lovely, and you should be able to find plenty to see and do. It is a small place though - I'll be back then, and maybe I'll bump into you!

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 07:37 PM
Robin

HI; Boise is a great place during Christmas. You can ski, go to the Basque Block for dinner and drinks, and... drive 82 miles to a wonderful coffee house in Jordan Valley, Oregon called Skinner's Rockhouse. The drive is great, easy, and well worth the time. Enjoy!
Robin

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 10:39 PM
Don

Oh, speaking of Basque restaurants--the person at the front desk of the hotel we stayed at recommended a place called Bardenay to someone else. Supposed to be pretty good...