Anyone want to talk about Florida?

Old Mar 1st, 2003, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone want to talk about Florida?

We are going at the end of March. Flying into Jacksonville. Staying at the Adams Mark. Rented a car from Enterprise. We will explore Amelia Island and St Augustine.
Then what?
We are willing to drive south, stay at a motel overnight if it is too far from Jax. Anyone have ideas? We don't know that part of Florida at all and I would rather hear first hand accounts rather than guide book suggestions.
Thank you
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 05:11 AM

I live in Florida, and one of the best trips I've ever made is taking the ferry from St. Marys, GA (about 30 minutes from Jax Airport) to Cumberland Island, GA, the southernmost and largest barrier island in Florida. It's the island where JFK Jr. held his wedding - I mention that only because it seems to help people to "place" the island. No cars or bikes, plenty of ruins, wild horses, deer, completely empty beaches, and hiking trails make it one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. I urge you to look into a day trip there!
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Postal!
I do know where the island is as my son and daughter went to the part where the wild horses are..but had no idea it was quite so close.
Living in the NorthEast, I have quite had enough of snow and cold so if we just drive all day in the sun with a beach nearby, I think I will be content!
Do you recommend any towns south of St Augustine?
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 06:57 AM

Why not drive down and spend an evening in Daytona? Lots to do there.
Duane
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Daytona seems to be close enough. Ot should we stay in a hotel overnight? what about around the Space Center? anything interesting there, besides big spaceships
although that might be too sad to see.. anyone know anything about Vero Beach or Melbourne?
Thanks for your ideas ~
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 03:44 PM

Daytona is worth the drive. If you want some good old fun in the sun, this is your best bet. Fill up a cooler and drive right on to the beach. You can rent chairs and umbrellas there. Have lunch or dinner at (can't think of the name) at a little outdoor place just past the lighthouse at the southernmost part of Daytona. You don't have to be dressed up. There are tons of hotels in the area if you decide to stay overnight. I would suggest Daytona Beach Shores, which is the southern part of Daytona. It's more family oriented. Daytona can be CRAZY during spring break (I don't know if the end of March qualifies). Although sad, if you've never been to The Kennedy Space Center, it's worth seeing. The Canaveral Nat'l seashore nearyby was beautiful (quiet, desolate almost).

There really isn't any reason I can think of to visit Melbourne (although I had a reason - relatives to visit). However, there is Sebastian Inlet State Rec. Area just south of there. It was a long, secluded stretch of beach. There was no one else there but a few fisherman when we visited. I would love to go back.

St. Augustine is wonderful. Have a great trip no matter what you decide to do.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you so much! I am studying the map and figuring out how to drive everywhere and see everything! It will be just my husband and myself, so it will be fun to be able to wander aimlessly about Florida
I like the idea of a "fish shack" kind of place to eat.
If anyone wants to recommend places to eat, feel free!
(as you might have guessed, I am from the South), so hushpuppies and fried Catfish are on my list of must- haves..I will see if they are as good as my memories say they are~
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 11:48 PM

I love Melbourne, probably because that's my hometown.

For someone traveling though, there just isn't that much to do and see in that area.

It's a great place for sitting on the beach without 40million other tourists and that's about it.

St. Augustine will be a real treat. Make sure to take a trolley tour, as they are pretty informative and just plain fun.

Old Mar 4th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Quinty!
Maybe we will take a look, never know if we might want to live there too!
Maybe we will run into each other some day
If anyone has restaurant recommendations, do tell, there are so many in the guide books and all, I would rather get real people recommendations.Not big and expensive (after all I live in NYC) but small casual and interesting, not Cracker Barrel although I have to try their fried okra!
Thanks~
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 09:48 AM

If you want to experience real Florida -try to visit one of the beautiful springs (ie. Ginnie Springs) - very cold but beautiful water - since it will probably be to cold to swim - you could go to Ocala and visit Silver Springs - kinda touristy but also one of the original FL attractions. Love St. Augustine and Amelia Island. Cute, old town on the Island with history and old homes that are bed and breakfast type places. Also some nice resorts - Watch the movie "Sunshine State" - gives you a taste of the area you will be in - of course, it seems kinda depressing in the movie because of the focus of the movie. America Beach is also on Amelia Island - unfortunatly, a very famous beach for African Americans when they were not allowed to have access to all beaches or to feel welcome. I'm not sure there is anything to visit there. Daytona Beach is kinda tacky in a "good" way. The springs are in the Gainesville/Ocala/Orlando area.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 10:37 AM

My vote is for the Space Center. If you have never been there, your in for a real treat! We've been 2 or 3 times, we've even gotten to see the shuttle take off. We brought the kids last time (7, 5 & 5), they still talk about the trip 2 years later. You should count on spending a full day at the center, loads and loads to do.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 11:54 AM

I was with a group that did St. Augustine, Gator Farm (or Gatorland, I forgot which one is nearby) and the Kennedy Space Center on the same day. We found all three places interesting.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Brutforce

Both St. Aug. & Amelia Island warrant @ least a day if not more. I'm not sure of how long or what the purpose of your trip is reading the posts here. Both places have Forts & history & there is a Plantation between that is interesting as well. It would not be much of a vacation (too me) to be driving daily. We go to Amelia Island @ least once a year & enjoy the Old Town, Beaches & dining. Savannah is less than 2 hours away & St. Aug. 1 hour. Perhaps make Amelia island your base & work from there. I have more specifics on all 3 places I mentioned but again how long ? & what is the goal ?

Old Mar 5th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

We will be in Florida for 8 nights @ the Adams Mark Hotel. Jax will be our base.
Purpose: We are getting out of the NE cold/snow/drearies. Visiting family. Exploring Florida.
Many years ago my husband lived in Miami, and we also spent a week in Sanibel.
Now we want to see what it is like in NE FLorida.
Is it a nice place to visit but would we want to live there?
Is it wonderful and we can't wait to go back?
Is it nice but next time we will go to Mexico?
Thanks to all who have spent the time giving me ideas I am keeping all of these suggestions, and most of them we will give a try. I do think we will skip Spring Break Daytona
I hope it is not too much like "Sunshine State"...that would be a little too much culture shock, coming from NYC
Now for restaurants!
Thanks again~
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 03:53 PM

It's not tiny, but I think you'd be very happy eating dinner at Saltwater Cowboys - as I recall, it's in St. Augustine Beach.