Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone stayed at Squire Inn at the Grand Canyon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 07:36 AM
Cecilia

We're trying to find accomodation by the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. I know that we're horribly late and it is not easy to find something. One place we've found is the Squire Inn (Best Western)at the Grand Canyon. The rate was $150/night which we thought was a bit high. Has anyone stayed there? Is the price reasonable? Location?

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 08:56 AM
John

Hi, Cecelia,
We stayed there a couple of years ago, and it was quite comfortable, if somewhat overpriced. The hotel is in Tusayan, which is not in the Park proper but a few miles south of the south rim. There are a variety of tourist facilities in the town, not all of them very picturesque.

At the time the Squire was the only thing available; maybe that's what your encountering now. Unfortunately it seems that accommodation resources in the area of the south rim are pretty mediocre. Several friends of ours have said they had to stay as far away as Flagstaff at peak visitor times.

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 09:32 AM
kam

Just a few more suggestions but not saving you any time/money but thought maybe they would appeal to you. You can stay in Williams, AZ, and take the old fashioned steam train in to the Grand Canyon. In Williams is the Fray Marcos Hotel which is pretty nice. There are other cheaper hotels (and package deals offered by the train) but then you have to pay $50+ per adult for the roundtrip train. But, if you love trains......We were going to stay at the GC, but ended up staying in Sedona and just going up to the GC for a rather quick daytrip. This was in March and the weather was beautiful in Sedona but cold and windy in the park. Since we had both been to the Grand Canyon before, this was enough just to walk along the rim and have lunch at El Tovar. It depends on how much you want to do and how much time you want to spend, I guess. Your room rate sounds a little bit high but not excessive for the location. Did you ask them for the lowest rate? Maybe you'll just have to bite the bullet and realize you're in a tourist mecca looking for late reservations. Good luck.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Lisa

We were just at the Squire Inn on March19th This place is Beautiful. Very striking. We were VERY satisfied. The dinner there was very good, the service was great & rooms were extreemly clean.
If you do end up going there, I really don't think you will regret it. To me, it was worth the $.

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A week in Heaven just to see if a pious life is worth it at the end.