Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone stayed at Sandalfoot condos on Sanibel?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Diane

There are so many condo complexes, has anyone staryed at Sandalfoot condos?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Lynn

Diane, I can't comment on Sandalfoot except to say that I wish we'd stayed there. We were on Sanibel in April and, like you, were confused about all the available options. We wanted a condo and, this being our first visit, we didn't know where to stay.

We ended up at the Ocean's Reach Condominium, located mid-island. I'm not saying it was horrible, but we wouldn't stay there again. The unit had been cleaned, but not up to my (admittedly picky) standards. Maybe it was just the unit we were in, but the living room carpet was badly stained; and we found out (the hard way) our first night there that we weren't going to be able to use the sofa in the living room because it was INFESTED with no-see-ums. Both my husband and I got badly bitten all over our bare legs (we were wearing shorts). They even sprayed while we were there, but it didn't matter; my husband got bitten again when he tried to sit on that sofa. So we used the chairs, which were OK but not our first choice for comfortable sitting and reading in the evenings.

Next time we'll spend $50 or $100 more for the week and stay somewhere else. I hope someone here can advise you about Sandalfoot; I tried to get info on this board about Ocean's Reach before we finalized our reservation, but no one had anything to say about it when I posted my question. Good luck--I thought I'd at least tell you one place to AVOID!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:52 AM
diane

Thanks for your reply. Ocean's Reach is another complex we are looking at-thanks for the info. we won't stay there.It's our first time at Sanibel.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 02:28 PM
kim

Just returned from Sanibel a week ago, not familiar with Sandalfoot but we stayed at Casa Ybel and loved it. Very nice accomodations and staff was very helpful with questions and service. If you would like more info you may want to check out the website www.casaybelresort.com. If you want more info just let me know, I would be happy to help. Sanibel is a beautiful place, I am sure you will love it!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:46 AM
xxx

Kim

Hubby and I will be visisting Sanibel for 1st time in august any must do/must see experiences you would'nt mind sharing?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:17 PM
cheryl

Is Casa Ybel within biking distance to Periwinkle shopping? Is the beach nice there?

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:32 PM
Eva

We have gone to Sanibel over 25 yrs- and have rented a condo unit. Sandalfoot is at the lighthouse end and it's more 'crowded'than in the middle part. We always liked to be at the center of the island. We stayed at Sandalfoot many yrs.ago and it may have changed over the time. At that time, 1980 or so, it was a very average type of condo, nothing special. It would not be the same as Casa Ybel(much nicer and more expensive). As far as comments about Oceans Reach - each unit is privately owned and much depends on how the owners maintain it, also the furnishings, etc.We always felt that , usually, you get what you pay for. You may want to check out the website for owners renting their unit: vrbo.com, also gulfcoastrentals.com and Chamber of Comm.: www.sanibel-captiva..org
Sanibel is a wonderful place. Enjoy !