Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anyone stayed at Ruby's Inn in Bryce Canyon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 12:24 AM
Cecilia

We'll be visiting Bryce Canyon in late April and are thinking about making reservation at Ruby's Inn. Has anyone stayed there and can gice us some info. if it's a good option? The Lodge inside the park was full for the date we're looking at. Ruby's Inn also arranges horse riding in the park and we might arrange for that as well. Has anyone done that as part of their stay. We'll have only 1 day to explore the park so we're not sure if we should spend half the day horse riding or maybe go for a scenic drive and hikes instead. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 04:46 AM
cj

Cecilia-
Ruby's Inn is a fine place. Not spectacular but it certainly does the job. They have a nice lodge with a decent restaurant, gift shop, and usually some activities planned. Of course you really won't spend too much time there, especially only for 1 day. I would hope you'd be in the park most of that time. BC is amazing. We were there last year about the same time, and there was still snow. Its at a higher elevation than Zion so be prepared for cooler temperatures.

CJ

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 04:57 AM
Al

Ruby's Inn fills up quickly, so best you make your reservation pronto. It's close to BC and much better than staying in Panguitch, the closest town.

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 12:25 PM
Kathie

Ruby's is great! Stayed there with hubby and kids in '98 and it was perfect for touring Bryce. Also has an indooor nearly-olympic sized pool. There's a variety of room types, jacuzzi rooms are newer and nicer. Ask questions. Enjoy! Bryce is the best - right up there with the Grand Canyon!

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 10:45 AM
Patrick

Ruby's is OK as motels go, decent enough rooms. The food and the whole "ambiance" of the restaurant leaves a lot to be desired unless you like busloads of kids pushing through a mediocre buffet line. (Although you can opt for ordering from a menu, which I would definitely do.) Best place to stay if you can't get into the lodge. We checked their horse trip and didn't like what they were offering. We went into the park and signed up at the lodge. Did a half day trip --about 4 or 5 hours as I recall starting early in the morning. It was great!!! Not for the faint of heart as the horses or mules like to walk on the very edge of the cliffside paths. I hadn't been on a horse in years, so I had a little trouble walking that evening, but it was an absolutely wonderful experience and a great way to really explore the canyon.