Anyone stay in Cambria, CA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Hearst Castle in January. After much research, we booked three nights in the Burton Inn in Cambria, CA. Has anyone stayed there? What was the experience like? Any other suggestions for lodging in the San Simeon area? Also, any recommendations for the best way to see San Simeon?
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 06:46 AM

It is a delightful town. We prefer to stay on Moonstone Drive which has a wonderful oceanside walk.

We've stayed in most of the motels. The Best Western Fireside Inn is just fine unless you can book a room with a direct view of the ocean and a terrace.

Old Nov 8th, 2008, 12:22 PM

We have stayed at the Fireside Inn, Blue Whale Inn and Pelican Cove Inn in Cambria, all of these properties are on Moonstone Beach Drive, the ocean is just so gorgeous in this area, it's nice to be right across the street. The Cavalier Beach Resort in San Simeon is oceanfront, a Best Western property like the Fireside Inn in Cambria.

I would suggest meals at Robin's, Sow's Ear and Black Cat Bistro. We were in Cambria a couple of weeks ago to pick up some Linn's pot pies for our family, we spent the weekend in Paso Robles during the Harvest Weekend and acquired 500 lbs. of grapes to make wine, fun!

I hope you enjoy the Central Coast, it's a gorgeous area to spend time in. ***kim***
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Yes I have and had a good night. Stayed a motel that had been redone and very nice. Something like $140 and maybe it was The Dolphin or The Blue Whale . I forget. I parked my car and walked down the street to couple of restaurants and bars and walked back that night (somewhat in a stagger). Met the honary Mayor of Cambria. Considering it is nothing but a service road with stuff, it is quite nice. I live in the south and I kept thinking, if this was here, it would have a Cheap motel, a Hardees and maybe a gas station. Cambria had plenty of shopping and good food and right down the road from the Hearst Castle.

Walked out of the room the next morning and found plenty of places to eat a good breakfast.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:16 AM

Although to my last post, 3 days may be a long time in this "serice road town". Might want to spend a night south at one of the beach towns or SLOb. Just a thought
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Burton Inn is on the hill overlooking Cambria. I haven't stayed there, but stayed nearby on the same hill. I think Burton Inn is "posh."

I agree that there isn't much in Cambria other than some shops and several pretty good restaurants. I'm also a bit unsure as why you would want to spend 3 nights there.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:34 AM

Cambria is a great little town. I have try and make it up to the Central Coast at least once every few months. When I visit Cambria we stay at Pelican Cove Inn. Cute little place right across the street from the coast. Downtown you will find some great little restaurants like Mustache Pete's and Cambria Cafe for Bfast. Also there are some tasing rooms to try a little wine and herb gardens to walk around in.

As for San Simeon, I have only been to the Castle and went back to Cambria to stay so I can't offer any help there but look at
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...meon-BR-1.html

Hill
www.edufire.com